Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Youth weekend... makes me sick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The “everyone gets a trophy” mentality is gaining a solid grip on the hunting world. I wouldn’t get bent out of shape about the deer (any deer), but that is horrible parenting.

A lot of parents just can’t stand to see their child fail or be outdone, which results in things like helping them with schoolwork, financially supporting them into young adulthood, and shooting their deer for them. Horrible parenting.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
      I hope my little girl will be ready to smoke one at 5 or 6. Nothing wrong with it at all.
      And I wouldn't bet a nickel against your daughter being ready. Now if I could place bets on random rifle only hunters kids being ready at age 6 I'd be placing lots of bets.

Comment

Originally posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
        I agree with your thoughts , but why on earth would it be okay for 6 year old to kill anything?
        What is wrong with a 6 year old hunting?
        Click image for larger version

Name:	tbhfirst.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	24517420

Name:	tbh3.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	236.3 KB
ID:	24517421

Name:	tbh4.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	170.3 KB
ID:	24517422

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
          And I wouldn't bet a nickel against your daughter being ready. Now if I could place bets on random rifle only hunters kids being ready at age 6 I'd be placing lots of bets.

Trophy8 is ironically, a rifle only hunter[emoji13][emoji23][emoji23]

Comment

Originally posted by mudkat View Post
            I really don't like the whole youth season deal,#1 it messes up open weekend of gun season cuz a lot of people in the woods shooting,#2 it messes up last weekend of bow season with all the activity ,#3 A bunch of people use their kids to get a first crack at a buck and claim the kid shot it, And Tell the truth if you really are all about the kids getting involved you should give up your opening weekend hunt for them. Right !
            I would.
            #1 and #2 don't bother me anymore but I can see where they could upset a lot of people with leases or small properties.

I never once took my kids during youth weekend. If they wanted to "go hunting" they were with me anyway even if I was bowhunting. I don't think youth weekend does much of anything. Why would it?

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
              He's not an average one though. I know plenty of rifle "hunters" as I'm sure most people do.

Comment

Haha. I bet she will be able to outshoot a lot of folks when she grows up. Lots of friends that teach different classes and have lots of ways to teach. Maybe she will start outshooting dad

Oh and OP. I'd expect a visit from the warden lol. Lots of them here

Comment

He's not an average one though. I know plenty of rifle "hunters" as I'm sure most people do.

He's pretty average[emoji13][emoji23][emoji23]

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                    Says the guy that sits on a heavy duty stool in a pop up and calls himself a bowhunter LOL.

I've got a bow. I've killed quite a bit of stuff with one. And will next year as well.

Comment

Don't put an age on it. My oldest is 17 now. Started shooting rifles at 3. 4th birthday he was shooting 5 shot groups I could cover with a quarter out of his Thompson. By 6 he had more trigger time than 90% of grown men that hunt. He shot 22 LR and pistol. Watched him kill a deer at 45 yards with a 357. Being ready to hunt is not about age it's about being able to handle the emotions and getting skill set ready. Both my kids easily outshoot me with rifles. 14 year old is now into that long range stuff and I would let him shoot a deer at 800 all day long

Comment

Originally posted by mudkat View Post
                        I really don't like the whole youth season deal,#1 it messes up open weekend of gun season cuz a lot of people in the woods shooting,#2 it messes up last weekend of bow season with all the activity ,#3 A bunch of people use their kids to get a first crack at a buck and claim the kid shot it, And Tell the truth if you really are all about the kids getting involved you should give up your opening weekend hunt for them. Right !

I would.

Kids and now grandkids keep spoiling my season.i would much rather see them get a good deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
                          I agree with your thoughts , but why on earth would it be okay for 6 year old to kill anything?
                          Why the heck not? Go find the threads about 'when you killed your first deer' and there are plenty that killed deer at that age.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                            Haha. I bet she will be able to outshoot a lot of folks when she grows up. Lots of friends that teach different classes and have lots of ways to teach. Maybe she will start outshooting dad

Oh and OP. I'd expect a visit from the warden lol. Lots of them here
                            Classes to shoot a rifle? Put crosshairs on it and pull the trigger. Real hard😂. Oh and make sure it ain't too far

Comment

Danged ol greedy kids killing all our deers

Name:	1b - Copy.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	265.9 KB
ID:	24517427

Comment

I took my 14yo daughter Saturday evening, she shot a doe. Took my 7yo son Sunday evening. He missed a doe 3x, then missed a buck 1x. We saw the buck he missed Friday evening checking cameras. I am gonna tell you, id be happy to shoot him! he stopped Friday and I could've shot him. wasn't season, so didn't. I could've easily killed him yesterday evening, but what would have that accomplished? it would've shown my son that if he can't kill it, dad will kill it for me. was I frustrated that he didn't kill one, yep. but you know what, he had a big time and is ready for next weekend.

Comment

Working...
                                X