Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Polaris - What a Crock! Parts Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've had just about every brand of ATV and several UTV'S over the years. The ONLY one I have had any trouble with is our old '07 Ranger Crew that's sitting at our Robert Lee lease right now and from what my TBH son told me this weekend, sounds like the fuel filter or pump has gone bad.

I put a post up asking for referrals for who was best to go to in the San Angelo area, stated neither of us were mechanically inclined and as usual, got responses saying how easy it was to repair?? If you are HURT, bleeding I am trained to hopefully save your life! If you are fighting off a POS, I am trained to help there also....but I'm NOT mechanically inclined so at the mercy of those who are thus my request?

This is the FIRST issue I have had with any of our Rangers..we have two..but the one we leave at the lease has 500+ hours on it and not even sure of the miles. BUT, it will go anywhere and has plenty of power even for the 700 EFI engine. It's a dam lot less to replace the problem now than buying a new one....Any brand!

I feel your pain and sorry, not my intent to hijack your OP. Good Luck....

Comment

Originally posted by Bruiser View Post
      Should walk to the stand anyways
      You've never hunted with my wife and daughter........its like packing for a week vacation with all the "supplies" we have to have in the tent blind

Comment

Originally posted by COACH_EM_UP View Post
        My guess would be to not run over a mesquite tree!
        Good idea

Comment

Originally posted by ballgame View Post
          How do other the other UTVs stack up to the Ranger when comparing both weight capacity and off-road? I need the best of both.

I carry a lot of weight when filling feeders and we have some fairly extreme country to traverse.

From what I have seen the Ranger seems to give you the best of both worlds.

Yes they will have problems but I kind of expect it considering what we put it through.

My neighbor just got a Mule Pro FXT and he says he'll be going to back to the ranger. He doesn't think the Mule is going to hold up.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I've owned a ranger, gator and dad has mule pro. As mentioned above I will never own a ranger, more because they are a POS company that cares nothing about their customers or safety and skimp on materials and cut corners. Mule Pro mechanically runs great, but cosmetically just looks and feels cheap. Seats are uncomfortable. The Gator 825i has been a beast. And would buy another in a second. Only issue I've had have been self induced by the dumb*** driving it ...me

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
            I'm really liking the tabbed aluminum tank and/or making a plug for it idea. Thanks guys.

Agreed.....it beats paying $500 or $1000 and having it happen all over again.,

Comment

They all have their own problems, and the more "necessities" they add, the more there is to go wrong. The parts are just about money. It's probably quicker and therefore cheaper on their end for a mechanic to slap on a new tank/pump at once. Makes no sense for you, but the bean counters are who is in control.

Comment

I currently own a 2002 Yamaha Big Bear I bought used about 5 years ago its been great but I would like to buy a SxS in the near future so I generally read reviews/comments people post about their experiences. I wonder what the percentage of "Lemons" or poor customer service really is on all SxS. It's easy to read threads like this one where several people think a certain machine is junk and others think its great and not be able to really reach any solid conclusions. I'm not saying Polaris is great or horrible as I have never owned one but my gut tells me there are a lot more out there than any other manufacturer. I would think based on sheer market share the number of issues would be higher. Anyone ever see a study by someone like consumer reports or some other impartial third party do a factual study?

Comment

Originally posted by kumathebear View Post
                  I've had just about every brand of ATV and several UTV'S over the years. The ONLY one I have had any trouble with is our old '07 Ranger Crew that's sitting at our Robert Lee lease right now and from what my TBH son told me this weekend, sounds like the fuel filter or pump has gone bad.

I put a post up asking for referrals for who was best to go to in the San Angelo area, stated neither of us were mechanically inclined and as usual, got responses saying how easy it was to repair?? If you are HURT, bleeding I am trained to hopefully save your life! If you are fighting off a POS, I am trained to help there also....but I'm NOT mechanically inclined so at the mercy of those who are thus my request?

This is the FIRST issue I have had with any of our Rangers..we have two..but the one we leave at the lease has 500+ hours on it and not even sure of the miles. BUT, it will go anywhere and has plenty of power even for the 700 EFI engine. It's a dam lot less to replace the problem now than buying a new one....Any brand!

I feel your pain and sorry, not my intent to hijack your OP. Good Luck....
                  The Ranger fuel pumps are fairly generic and can be cross referenced for an automotive pump for under $100 at the local auto parts store

Or just put an ebay cheapy in it- something like this-

Pretty straight forward change out process, I don't remember and hidden secrets.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                    I've owned a ranger, gator and dad has mule pro. As mentioned above I will never own a ranger, more because they are a POS company that cares nothing about their customers or safety and skimp on materials and cut corners. Mule Pro mechanically runs great, but cosmetically just looks and feels cheap. Seats are uncomfortable. The Gator 825i has been a beast. And would buy another in a second. Only issue I've had have been self induced by the dumb*** driving it ...me
                    Say what ? I thought the Mule Pro had become the holy grail around here as the side by side of choice?

Hmm, Gators. I need to look into those.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveC View Post
                      Say what ? I thought the Mule Pro had become the holy grail around here as the side by side of choice?

Hmm, Gators. I need to look into those.
                      Dads had his in to replace the door handles ( all plastic that wear and doors won't stay shut, crack in floor board or something along that line, tailgate has had issues, emergency brake, and few other things. And dad baby's his.

Comment

Everytime something happenes to mine I think ok now it will be good... I bought one I know was maintained perfect and all that.. I have had it 2 years and been thru a new motor($6500) new steering rack ($800) new bushing and about everything on the front end, new fuel pump, now in waiting on a patch kit for the iac part of the wording harness where a wire broke internally..

Comment

Originally posted by randal View Post
                          Everytime something happenes to mine I think ok now it will be good... I bought one I know was maintained perfect and all that.. I have had it 2 years and been thru a new motor($6500) new steering rack ($800) new bushing and about everything on the front end, new fuel pump, now in waiting on a patch kit for the iac part of the wording harness where a wire broke internally..
                          Buy collision insurance on it. Fairly cheap and pays for itself. When I tried to see if gators swim and blew/seized the motor, insurance company sent me a check for $5500.

Comment

That right there along with several other reasons is exactly why I'll be going with a different brand with my next purchase. Their customer service along with pricing has ran me away.

Comment

Ranger

I'm on my second Ranger since 2009. Only reason I sold the first was to upgrade. Both machines have worked great. I've had a couple of cv joints break,
                              but I also have a lift that puts them at an angle they aren't designed to operate at. Once you know what you're doing you pull the shaft in the field and run in 3-wheel drive. Replacing cv shafts is easy. To each his own, but my experience has been very good with Polaris Rangers and won't hesitate to purchase another.

Comment

We have had Polaris, Kawasaki, Kabota and Gator and will say the Ranger by far is a better machine for us. When you see more Rangers than any other UTV that says something. I have talked with mechanics that service every UTV on the market and they will tell you they will take a Ranger every time. I guess they all have there faults and you are just taking a chance on whatever you buy.

Comment

Working...
                                X