Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Polaris - What a Crock! Parts Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
    One word... HONDA...
    This ^^^^

Comment

Had a friend that wanted me to get his granddaughters little 90cc 4 wheeler back running. It sat for a couple of years. Went to the Polaris dealer and picked up a rebuild kit for the carb. Got home and the float needle was .010 bigger than the hole it goes in. Went back and got another kit, same thing. 3rd time I took the carb with me. We went through 6 kits with same results. All I got was "I guess you'll have to buy another carb." Uh, no. Told him I'll make it work and he said no way. He didn't know he was talking to a machinist. Brought it down to the shop and POOF! Fixed 4 wheeler.

Comment

I have 2 Rangers and have never had a single problem with either.

Comment

Polaris
          Pulled On Lever And Realized It Sucked

Comment

I've got a 2006 Diamo discovery 500 UTV and its starting to have issues. In fact I had to push it a quarter mile to be able to get to it with my truck. I don't know how many hours are on it but its got over 2200 miles on it. It's on its second master cylinder and I had to have the starter solenoid and the ignition switch replaced just this week. The issue is locating parts. I'm not sure if the shop that's working on it is using Massimo or Hisun parts, but they're getting difficult to find.

Anyway, I've been shopping for a new UTV recently and I've read reviews on nearly all of them. Polaris has more issues than any other manufacturer. When it comes time to buy it will be a Mule FXT Pro LE for me.

Comment

I have a 1996 polaris magnum that has been great little issues but nothing major. I have a buddy who has a pretty new mule and has to put 2 axles a front diff and now a rearend in his only lease use. I also have a buddy who has had issues with a terx, so what I am saying is they all have issues none of them are built the way they should be for what they cost but in my opinion everyone seems to pile on when anyone has issues with polaris just my 2 cents

Comment

good friends dad was an atv mechanic while he was alive and he wouldn't take a Polaris into his shop because of the parts being high, hard to get and he just plain hated working on them. I haven't owned anything but Honda in over 20 yrs because I don't like to work on stuff more than I have to

Comment

Polaris is a cheap company that skimps on Quality and they have a Zero moral fortitude and absolutely will accept Zero responsibility for product failure

Comment

This is good to know.

Comment

When you see 10 polaris rangers for every 1 other brand on the road, you’re definitely going to hear about “issues” more often. It does suck though to pay 10-20 grand for a buggy and have ANY ISSUES.

Op, sounds like the fabbed aluminum tank is the way to go.

Comment

call Jones powersports in Durant, OK. they will take care of you!!

Comment

I bought a used 2011 ranger 6x6 a few months ago. It certainly hadn't been babied, and it was apparent preventative maintenance was rarely performed. That said, the engine and transmission checked out good so I made the deal.

I have replaced all 6 axles, replaced all the fluids, all the bushing and the brake pads. I have also installed a 2" lift to allow for full travel with 27" tires. That being said, had I not bought parts on ebay/amazon and worked on it myself, It would have been cheaper to buy a new machine due to Polaris' Parts and labor prices. Also, I am replacing all the crappy grade 2 bolts that came stock on the machine with Grade 8 to prevent rusting and shearing.

But, I now know my machine backwards and forwards, and also know what to pay to get done versus do myself. I will say that these machines are not designed to be worked on. It is a PITA to access many of the vital components. Heck, getting the oil filter off is an act of congress! If you plan to work on the machines to save money, make sure you have knuckles of steel, patience of a saint and the mental fortitude to press thru when you see something that Polaris designed cheaply (and a vehicle lift is also helpful)!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                            Polaris
                            Pulled On Lever And Realized It Sucked
                            Purchase Or Lease And Repair It Soon.

Comment

Sorry that you are having troubles...

My Ranger has served me well...

Comment

Originally posted by Brett C View Post
                                Find a plug that's bigger than the hole. Drill it out , install new drain plug. Bingo, now you can drain your gas tank easy if you ever need . eBay will have some used ones for sale. No way I'd buy a new one.
                                That seems like the way to go. The only issue I have had is a torn boot. The other is a stick found its way to poke up into the transmission linkage and bent the forward gear lever cable. That was pretty much my D A fault for driving where I was driving.

Comment

Working...
                                X