Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Question about Living in an RV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shane View Post
    i was just talking to somebody the other day who was telling me that rvs are the rage with millenials lately. But many of them aren't thinking it through. He told about one girl who bought one and had it delivered. He was asking her where she was going to park it. She told him. He asked her how she was gonna get it there. She said she'd pull it with her 1/2 ton pickup bumper hitch. It was a 35' fifth wheel trailer. She had no idea that her pickup wouldn't tow it. I imagine that's why the dealer offered free delivery to her. :d

by the time she buys a 3/4 ton pickup with the right kind of hitch and adds that to the cost of the trailer, all that money she was gonna save will be long gone.
    lol

Comment

the biggest is that trailers were never built or designed to be lived in full time, they will not hold up like an apartment or even a mobile home,,,,, you would be better served by building out a utility building or even two side by side

Comment

I can shed some light for ya. So I'm 23 my wife 24. I work for the railroad and have had to work in west Texas the last year chasing my seniority so I needed a place to live. I thought about renting a apartment or buying a rv. I went with the rv and love it and consider it one of my greatest investments. For me the choice was more simple Im not giving my money to somebody so they can keep making money. I'd rather spend my money and have a return on investment. Yes it will depreciate but do some research and you can get a great deal. I bought my camper for 11k and it blue booked for 21k. So there are great deals out there just be patient. Now my wife does not live with me she lives in our house in the metroplex. But I have a room mate that stays with me my best friend cause we are in the same boat. Our rent is 400$ a month so we split it. And have had no problems living there for the past year. Plenty of room. And it's only 30ft. And I can pull it with my 1/2 ton pickup no problem. So it's very possible and from my experience I recommend it. even with a camper payment and rent for a spot I still pay less then half of what renting an apartment would cost. Good luck if you have any questions please feel free to pm. I recommend buying used not new!!! Good luck

Comment

Did it, was a great decision at the time. Saved us a lot of money, kept the money we did spend working for us instead of a landlord and at the end, we had a camper that I used at my lease until a meth head burned it down.

Go for it. Do some addons like a deck, outdoor shower and cover eventually. Make them modular, like 8x8 sections that you can toss on a trailer to move them when you wanna pick up and move.

Comment

Isn't there a few shows..........................never mind...................

Comment

RV's are not very comfortable for familys. I work out of one but by myself. No way would I live in one with others in it.

Comment

If you are looking at spending up to $1500 on an apartment, why not buy a house if you want to own something tangible? Historically homes appreciate.

Comment

If you decide to go the RV route let me know I may have something you are interested in. Trust me it will be big enough for the both of you to live in.

Comment

My little brother and I are doing it while we go to college. It is cheaper and so far has worked out. There is plenty room for us both and no problems with fitting in the shower or anything. Just don't expect long showers, the water doesn't stay hot very long unless you get a big propane tank. We also set up a pretty cool bbq area outside, so that helps.

Comment

Have been full-time for three years. It's not for everyone. I was born on the road, I'll probably die on the road. Have been to 48 states in it.

Comment

I don't really have any advice but if you decide to buy an RV I have a 2007 model 36' fifth wheel with 3 slides I would make you a screaming deal on. I bought it for my son to live in. He lived in it for about 3 months but is supposed to move this week so I don't need it any more. It has a full sized shower and room in the master bedroom for a king mattress.

Comment

8-10mo, I don't think you'll come out ahead if you don't already own a trailer. If it was 1-2 years then yes.

I currently live in one when I'm back in Texas and it is doable but, only with the necessities and I own the land it's parked on so I don't have to pay a park. Heck, my parents did it for about 10 years chasing construction jobs around the SW before and just after they got married.

Specifically what I did was buy acreage, subdivide it and sold off the lots to cover the purchase price of the property and installing utilities. The only thing I've come out of pocket for were a storage garage for my tractor, and a carport (gone now....thanks Harvey). So I essentially live for free on the coast.

Comment

How well do you get along with your wife? That first argument is going to be fun when she storms off 10 feet to the other end of the "house" and slams the door. Not a lot of escape routes to the man cave in an RV ...

Having said that, it would have been something fun to do when I was 23- esp with a pretty spot to come home to each evening.

Comment

Buy a few acres w a trailer on it, used trailer won't cost much and you can consider the land an investment. No clue where you want to be tho.

Comment

Lived in one for almost 2 years while paying off debts 16-18 years ago. No kids, we both worked, it wasn't bad at all. I was however able to get a nice, used 5th wheel on the cheap, and sold it 2 years later for the same price I paid for it. I've contemplated doing it again, to purchase land and build the house that we want. But with 2 kids at home full time, and my son joining in the weekends, it isn't quite as attractive

Comment

Working...
                                X