No announcement yet.

Question about Living in an RV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a friend that lived in an RV while their house was built. They bought 10 acres out in the country then bought the RV. lived in and saved money till they could get the house started. Now they have a house and a RV. You need to go look at the RV's and maybe rent one for a week and stay in it.

Comment

Not no but hell no

Comment

I say go for it! I just got through living in a 33’ rv for 10months while I built our house. It’s doable.

I have the perfect RV for you and your girlfriend. Bunk room has already been converted to a walk-in closet. We bought it brand new, towed it to the property and have parked it since we moved into the house. Give me a shout if you are interested.

Comment

I'll cast my vote for doing it. You don't have to go buy a big fancy camper. You can find really nice units during the winter for not much scratch. My wife and I did it and have no regrets at all. We bought a 40' high cube storage container to put our stuff in and the first thing I did at the property was put in utilities so we didn't have to pay for lot rental.

We are just about finished now and will be taking the camper to the lease in the next couple of weeks.

Comment

You have not said where you are going to park it and the fees. As mentioned insurance and storage of your belongings. Why not just get the smallest cheap apartment for 10 months?

Comment

My mother and stepdad have lived in one full time for the last six or seven years. They sold their home because they needed to be closer to their Drs. My stepdad had cancer and they needed to be closer to the medical center. Now they schedule the followup appointments to fit the camping schedule. In the summer they try to go to Branson or some area around there. A lot of the time they spend on lake conroe. They like not being tied down to one spot but at times they say it does get old. They did upgrade to a camper that had a washer and drier.

Comment

I'd say apartment all the way.

Apartments are not nearly the rip-off that some want to believe. I lived in one for almost 5 years before buying a house. While, I'd admit to not gaining any type of equity value from paying rent; I can flat out tell you that my rent plus utilities was $1,000 less than my current mortgage payment, plus property tax escrow.

Not to mention, something breaks at the apartment, maintenance is there the next day.

I don't see much way a camper would save any money; especially if you don't already own one. If you want a bit more tranquility, perhaps that might be the way to go. However, trying to justify it on monetary terms probably is not the way to look at it.

Comment

I'm going to go against the crowd and say I like your idea, we are about the same age so maybe that has an effect on my thoughts. 8-10 months really isn't that long and you don't have to have a top of the line rv. You could honestly find a good, livable 5th wheel for 5-6k or even less. No it's not going to be the best in the world but most of those things are parked and not hardly used. Yes, you will have little expenses here and there. And you will have a rent fee for the spot. But I'm with you, why throw away money when in the end you could have a camper to show for the hard 8-10 months and the money that would be given away essentially. Plus, your average people at the rv park will be 10x as friendly as an apartment complex. Just my 2 cents. Good luck either way. 8-10 will be gone before you know it. We had a kitchen/living room remodel done and we had 1 bed room, 1 bath and an extra bedroom we put a stove and fridge in. It lasted almost 6 months and was pretty tough with space because we have 4 dogs, 2 are 90lbs. And the dust was insane with the work going on. We lived through it and I probably would have been happier in a camper! Good luck with your journey!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bkvill View Post
                    Interesting. We might need to rethink, just seems like putting our money towards something we own vs. renting an apartment would be a smarter move.

I understand the depreciation aspect but still the idea of spending 1000-1500 on an apartment seems like a waste.

We are pretty frugal as a couple as well and cook/grill at home most days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Get an apartment it will be cheaper. It cost to park a camper unless you own the land, so you are still paying rent. Campers are worth less every month you own it, most campers that you could afford are not made to live out of. Quality full time campers start about 50K and quickly get over 100K. you will be paying space rent, interest, principle, repairs, depreciation, and insurance. That will be more than apartment rent.

Comment

Unless you have your own land with full hookups in place already. It will cost you from $400-$550 a month to live in a park. Add this to the cost of your new trailer and your at $800-1000 a month now.

Comment

If you had to buy an RV for 8-10 months of living I would say your going to be money ahead renting an apartment. If you already have one go for it! They're not as cheap as they used to be for lot rent etc. Plus it doesn't seem to matter if you paid $20k or $2M for one the slides all seem to leak at some point and seen several folks have problems with busted water lines and holding tanks in winter. Texas winter shouldn't be that bad though...

Comment

My only input is consider your investment into the trailer seriously.

Comment

I was just talking to somebody the other day who was telling me that RVs are the rage with millenials lately. But many of them aren't thinking it through. He told about one girl who bought one and had it delivered. He was asking her where she was going to park it. She told him. He asked her how she was gonna get it there. She said she'd pull it with her 1/2 ton pickup bumper hitch. It was a 35' fifth wheel trailer. She had no idea that her pickup wouldn't tow it. I imagine that's why the dealer offered free delivery to her.

By the time she buys a 3/4 ton pickup with the right kind of hitch and adds that to the cost of the trailer, all that money she was gonna save will be long gone.

Comment

For only 8-10 months, if you consider the investment in the RV, the depreciation (what you can sell it for when finished), the campground fees, maintenance, . . . I think you'll lose lots of money by not renting an apartment during that time.
                              If you think you could live in such small area, rent a very small or efficiency apartment.

Comment

IMHO- At your age. Do it! Life's adventures....
                                Cause, by the time you get to be my age.. You'll look back, with fond memories.
                                No matter how much of a PITA it was.....
                                Just get as prepaired as you can. And take some advice offered here.....

Comment

Working...
                                X