Question about Living in an RV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bkvill View Post
    Sounds like people like giving money to a landlord. Has anyone actually done what I’m talking about?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I live in an RV for most of the year, and wouldn't even consider living in a hotel or an apartment.

I do it because I travel for work.
    Last month I lived in Tomball, and as of yesterday, I'm in Naples Florida for the next few months.

But if you are trying to justify the purchase price, you can't do it....even if you were to save a $1,000 a month, it would take years to recoup the cost of the RV and the vehicle to pull it, the maintenance costs, the RV park rentals, etc.

There's a reason they sell half million and million dollar rigs.....once you buy one, you'll probably keep upping the ante.

We basically lived on the road with a couple of our dogs for a few years, then came back and put down some roots in the hill country. It was a really good time, but I wouldn't recommend it for everyone.
    Last edited by Atfulldraw; 10-03-2017, 07:27 AM.

Comment

8-10 months.

^^^This would be very doable IMHO^^^

Personally, I am considering living in an RV for different reasons than you and would be doing it by my "lonesome" so circumstances are way different. The reason I mentioned a duplex is because they can be a magnificent investment.

Comment

Sounds like people like giving money to a landlord. Has anyone actually done what I’m talking about?

Are you taking out a loan to buy a camper? If so, I would hands down say rent an apartment. If you were planning on paying cash for the camper, I would stick that cash into the down payment instead.

It's all what your comfortable with though. If you buy house, where are you going to park the camper? Is your truck big enough to tow it places once you no longer live in it? Are you keeping the camper after? I had a really nice trailer I never intended to sell, but ended up selling because it was costing me $1200/year plus insurance/license/registration even when storing it.

I bought a truck to pull it, now I have my paid off truck, but really no need for a 3/4 ton anymore. And insurance is more on a 3/4 ton, but it doesn't make sense to sell my current truck for a half ton and a loan.

Comment

I did it....

for 18 months when I was promoted and moved to El Paso. That was the longest camping trip I have ever been on. I won't do it again either.

Comment

8-10 months.

Should be doable but like mentioned already
            most would have to pay a storage fee for the majority of their stuff
            laundry mat inconvenience
            repairs
            lot rent
            if you don't already own one...payment and insurance
            by the time its all said and done are you really saving anymore than you would with a small apartment for 8-10 months?

Comment

We faced the same dilemma about a year ago. We'd bought 2 acres in Fulshear, and had a contract on our house in Richmond. Our plan was to build a barndo, live in that for 2 or 3 years, then build a house. We needed someplace to stay, in the interim. Our options were:

1. Apartment. No maintenance commitment, no yard to mow, would still have to put some stuff in storage, and we'd be at least 10 miles from our lot which would be time waster when we started building the barndo.

2. Buy a small flip house. Didn't seem like a good idea to buy a remodeling project AND try to build a barndo at the same time. I'm doing all the work, and I don't have 2 sets of all my tools nor the time to do both at the same time. We'd still likely have to put some stuff in storage.

3. Buy a RV. Live in a park until we had the infrastructure to support it, at the lot, then move it out there. The most important part of this was being AT the lot, and being able to work on the barndo every free minute I had.

We went with the RV.

We did live in a park for the first 5 months. The rent there was $650 a month. It was a gated park that had a club house, pool, and coin operated laundry mat. Electricity was another $100 a month, plus misc other expenses. All in all, it was costing us about $1000 a month to live in the RV in the park.

We've since moved the RV to our lot, and it's parked under a lean-to on the back side of the barndo.

The first week in the RV was hell. When you're used to having all your stuff, right there, it takes a while to get used to having less. You give up some comforts that you take for granted; mainly space! You do adapt. Even my wife has learned to live with less. Hell, our master closet and bathroom, in our old house was about the size of our whole RV.

I will tell you this, if you go this route, you will realize that you have a LOT of stuff that you really don't need, and that's a good thing. We have THREE 10x20 storage units with household stuff that we've lived without for almost a year. When we move into the barndo, there will be a huge purge.

We also ditched our land line and TV service when we moved into the RV. I didn't watch much TV, and this move confirmed that I really don't miss it; neither does Tina.

I do think, that when we're moved into the barndo, we'll sell the RV.

Comment

Do you have some where to park an RV? Campgrounds aren't cheap. We have a 26' RV and would not live in it. The storage space is on of the problems even though we only travel from place to place. If you can, rent one and spend a week or two in it. That will teach you a lot.
                By the time you pay for an RV, you could have a very nice down payment on a house.
                If you decide to go with the RV, consider buying a place to park it at least. You could then slowly build a barn / garage for space and storage and later build a house.

Comment

Originally posted by Codie View Post
                  no personal experience but if you are going to do it, young with no kids would be a proper time in my mind. I think I would put my money into the size of the unit instead of the finishings in order to make it more comfortable. If you can get a 38' that is not top of the line for the same price as a top of the line 30' then I would go with the 38'. If I didn't have kids I would seriously consider it as I don't mind paying my mortgage, but paying outrageous amounts of money to the tax appraisal district on top of what I actually owe on my home is a complete rip off.
                  ALL OF THIS

I live in one during the week, by myself. it's fine. but I go home on the weekends, to a big house and big yard. mine is 35' and when we built our house I had all 4 of us plus 2 little dogs and it was the longest 6 months of my life. (we started out moving in with the in-laws for about 2 months. the cramped living space in the RV was much preferred to living with the in-laws) and I still had to work in Houston during the week (borrowed a buddies RV) so really it was only 3 people for half of that time. we did everything outside. setup a whole patio area.

it gets crowded quick. everyone is constantly breathing everyone else's air. I would NOT recommend full timing if you have a family. everything has to go somewhere. if you leave anything out, it's in the way! dishes, shoes, clothes, laptop etc...

now having said that I know you said its just you and the wife, however ya'll are in your early 20's and being stuck in a trailer with nothing else to do.... you will have a family very soon.

but to answer your question, I stay in mine during the week in Houston mainly because yes, it is cheaper but also, I don't have to worry about my stuff. every place I've been has had great people. I don't want to have to worry about things walking off or getting robbed etc..

long term rv living is usually a bunch of workers like myself, old people and then the occasional weird guy. all harmless. can't say the same for apartment dwellers, at least not the ones in the affordable range.

if you are able to do it short term, and/or can setup on your own land then Id say you could probably manage. in an RV park... it's going to get old real quick, then you'll be in an apartment anyway and now paying for storage and a RV.

Comment

My wife and I did it for 4 months right after we got married while building our house. It made sense for us because we didn't have to buy the RV just pay lot rent. It will take you more than 8-10 months to come out ahead on buying the RV. It was tough at times but we spent so much time working on the house and working full time that we really weren't there much other than to sleep.

Comment

I lived in a RV for 2 1/2 years on location and they will close in on you in weather. Long days sitting inside. Need to evacuate during spring storms and the froze water lines in the winter. It will be a true test to see if you and her were meant to be together.

Comment

I don't see how you save money living in an RV for 8 - 10 months.

Your cost in the RV scenario are buying the RV, insuring the RV, paying for somewhere to park the RV and maintenance and upkeep.

It would help to know how much you are planning to spend on the RV. And we'd also need to know if you are paying cash for the RV. If you are thinking of financing it then that makes the answer easy.....don't do it.

Unless you are buying an RV for a couple thousand bucks I don't see how it makes sense.

Comment

I am in one now that is 34 foot with 3 slides. Been in it for 2 months while our house is finished.....pretty much sucked so much so that the house is finishing today and the new RV is in the driveway cause I never want to go back in the old one again :-) I love to RV / Camp but not live in. I think it would be different if you were like atfulldraw and moving around every so often but one place all the time got old quick. Other thing to keep in mind.....your eating out bill will go through the roof.

Comment

Sounds like a solid quorum of NO!!! Most of my points were covered. Just a bad investment if you don't have one already paid for (in GREAT shape), a place that is FREE to park it, and have plans to move around ALOT!

Comment

I lived in my 37 foot Motorhome one slide for two years. Well that's where I stayed when I was at work and would come home on my days off. It was fine! I cooked in it, the shower was rather large and when I sold it I got my money back. I saved a lot of money and I would do it all over again if I had to. However, I stayed in it by myself! Good Luck!!!

Comment

Interesting. We might need to rethink, just seems like putting our money towards something we own vs. renting an apartment would be a smarter move.

I understand the depreciation aspect but still the idea of spending 1000-1500 on an apartment seems like a waste.

We are pretty frugal as a couple as well and cook/grill at home most days.

Comment

Working...
                                X