Cholesterol med alternatives?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cholesterol med alternatives?

This is NOT a thread to list why you don't take Crestor, Lipitor, and other statins.

I'm looking for other options as statins have too many side affects for me. My bad or LDL's (I think it's called) is 180.

I already eat pretty healthy BTW.

Took me several rounds to find one that didn't cause icky reactions...crestor has me under control.

Good luck...sometimes you can eat perfect. Don't give up.

Comment

I don't know how serious you are with your diet I but lowered mine from 178 to 143 in four months following the Pritican diet...basically low fat. Also lost 35#'s and I'm down to my jr in high school weight.

Doc is giving me 6 more months to get my HDL into the 50's and said if I do he won't recommend medication.

Comment

Mine was always high, and they kept wanting me to take meds.
        I take a high quality cod liver oil, vitamin k2, i eat REAL food...real meat, real cheese, etc. I limit chips and fries, bur not scared of eating them. I use high quality coconut oil to fry my eggs in and instead of butter. I drink almond milk instead of cows milk. Eat REAL nuts and lots of stuff with magnesium in it.
        For the last several years my cholesterol hasnt been high enough for them to recommend meds.
        Oh yeah, and I have also been lifting weights some for about a year.
        I am 66 and med free. Got off the acid reflux meds by drinking apple cider vinegar and baking soda in water two or three times a day.

Comment

One other thing. I eat when I get ready and not according to someone else's schedule. Since retiring I have lost over 20 pounds and also dropped cholesterol numbers.

Comment

I had the same problem a few months back, I did not want to take the meds, I started eating better and exercising and lowered it from almost 200 to 100, but now I am building this restaurant, not exercising and not eating that great, the last time building the lake house caused this, hopefully I can get back on the program before the doc test me again.

Comment

Wish I could help ya. My bad cholesterol is off the charts. I'm on a couple different meds.
              I'm thinking it must be hereditary as I don't eat that bad and I do exercise a bit.
              I was adopted at 2 months so I really don't know my bio parents health history.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My sister in law takes over the counter fish oil tablets. It helps control hers. Think she buys big bottles at Sams.

Comment

Diet & nutrition science has change drastically over the last few years.....do not fall into the serial medicated crowd.

I have a good "up to date" book on diet, cholesterol, etc......PM me with your email and I will send you an e-copy

Comment

My doc had me on Atorvastatin and I started hurting/aching in my joints

Heard red rice yeast extract and coq10 was similar with no side effects

Been doing that and will know later in the fall when I go in for yearly physical if it is working

Comment

My doc has me on red rice yeast. 2 pills a day. I'll go back in a few months to see if it made a difference.

Comment

1. More exercise
                        2. Increase your fiber intake

Comment

red yeast rice as a supplement and start drinking metamucil 2-3 times a day. but obviously exercise and eating right have the biggest impact.

Comment

Niacin. OTC and no achy joints. My FIL has battled high cholesterol (and cholesterol meds) for decades. We finally convinced him to try niacin (Vitamin B3) and his LDL is lower than it has been in YEARS!!! He is now a believer!

Comment

Originally posted by CTR0022 View Post
                              red yeast rice as a supplement and start drinking metamucil 2-3 times a day. but obviously exercise and eating right have the biggest impact.
                              WINNER CHICKEN DINNER!

Comment

Working...
                              X