No announcement yet.

Cholesterol med alternatives?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The book Grian Brain totally changed my mind about cholesterol, as well as many other health issues we deal with. He recommends a low carb, high protein, high fat diet. When you follow this lifestyle most people don't need to worry about high cholesterol. Very much worth reading.

Comment

Originally posted by howzitbra View Post
      Wish I could help ya. My bad cholesterol is off the charts. I'm on a couple different meds.
      I'm thinking it must be hereditary as I don't eat that bad and I do exercise a bit.
      I was adopted at 2 months so I really don't know my bio parents health history.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      I know I'm naturally high. I've known this for 15+ years. I even went 10 years ago to have them check for build up blockage. They said there was zero build up. That's when I was 36. I exercise nearly every day. May need to increase cardio though.

I may do another stress test and blockage/build up scan. If my arteries are over 95% clear still I may ignore doctors, for now.

Originally posted by doghouse View Post
      My sister in law takes over the counter fish oil tablets. It helps control hers. Think she buys big bottles at Sams.
      I heard they "proved" fish oil does next to nothing. Anyone else hear this?

Originally posted by Tom View Post
      Diet & nutrition science has change drastically over the last few years.....do not fall into the serial medicated crowd.

I have a good "up to date" book on diet, cholesterol, etc......PM me with your email and I will send you an e-copy
      PM sent.

BTW - I already eat deer meat and wild pig. Try to avoid all butter. Drink smoothies (spinach, blueberries, strawberries, banana). I can't really lose weight as I only weight 160

And I don't want to fall into the "here, take these pills" trap. But I doubt eating even better will lower my bad Chol. from 180 down under 140 (much less close to 100 where Docs say it should be).

Comment

Originally posted by Hobbs View Post
        My doc has me on red rice yeast. 2 pills a day. I'll go back in a few months to see if it made a difference.
        I'll look into this.

Originally posted by 32drawlength View Post
        1. More exercise
        2. Increase your fiber intake
        Can't do much more. I work on the ranch from daybreak til dark. And if I take fiber I'll poop myself I'm getting old and it don't need any more help coming out

Comment

Doctor told my wife last week to take omega 3 pills once or twice a day for cholesterol. We'll see how it works out in six months. I am on generic Crestor. High cholesterol runs in my family, but I like cookies and chocolate too.

Comment

It's been mentioned a few times already but up your fiber intake. After my last colonoscopy my dr told me that proper fiber intake goes a long way towards a healthy colon. In about a three month period my cholesterol number dropped about 20 points. First time in a LONG time that my total count was under 200. Supplemental fiber intake is the only thing I changed in that time period.

Comment

Originally posted by ckat View Post
              Niacin. OTC and no achy joints. My FIL has battled high cholesterol (and cholesterol meds) for decades. We finally convinced him to try niacin (Vitamin B3) and his LDL is lower than it has been in YEARS!!! He is now a believer!
              So no achy joints/muscle ache?

Comment

Originally posted by Hobbs View Post
                My doc has me on red rice yeast. 2 pills a day. I'll go back in a few months to see if it made a difference.

^^^^This. I've taken Lipitor for several years. Told the doc I was tired of taking them. He got me started on this. I go back in February to see if its working for me.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                  I know I'm naturally high. I've known this for 15+ years. I even went 10 years ago to have them check for build up blockage. They said there was zero build up. That's when I was 36. I exercise nearly every day. May need to increase cardio though.

I may do another stress test and blockage/build up scan. If my arteries are over 95% clear still I may ignore doctors, for now.

I heard they "proved" fish oil does next to nothing. Anyone else hear this?

PM sent.

BTW - I already eat deer meat and wild pig. Try to avoid all butter. Drink smoothies (spinach, blueberries, strawberries, banana). I can't really lose weight as I only weight 160

And I don't want to fall into the "here, take these pills" trap. But I doubt eating even better will lower my bad Chol. from 180 down under 140 (much less close to 100 where Docs say it should be).
                  So Serious Question.
                  If you do all this but your "number" is high, why do you think you are not heart healthy.
                  I have known plenty of out of shape overweight lumps with great "numbers".
                  Conversely I am just like you. However my cholesterol is close to 400 on a bad day, I exercise, I don't smoke, I don't drink alcohol, my weight doesn't fluctuate and I am 6'3" and lean. No sugar drinks and I eat mostly a plant based diet with lean proteins and few if any carbs.
                  I go for those heart calicification tests and my arteries come back clean and no blockages.
                  I'm not going to take a pill everyday that ruins my liver and joints for a "number" if the heart and pipes are clear. I have had numerous doctors agree with me as well. I just have crappy numbers.

Comment

I have been taking fenofibrate for a few years and it has my LDL down. That's without any diet change or decrease in beer consumption!

Comment

Bringing this back to the top.

Those that have been using natural supplements, how have your results been?

I am 3 yrs post heart attack/cardiac catheterization and hate taking cholesterol meds...making my joints ache.

.....and God Bless America.

Comment

Man you have HC? you look like a pretty healthy dude. Not sure what to tell you on meds though, best of luck

Comment

Originally posted by nchunter View Post
                          So Serious Question.
                          If you do all this but your "number" is high, why do you think you are not heart healthy.
                          I have known plenty of out of shape overweight lumps with great "numbers".
                          Conversely I am just like you. However my cholesterol is close to 400 on a bad day, I exercise, I don't smoke, I don't drink alcohol, my weight doesn't fluctuate and I am 6'3" and lean. No sugar drinks and I eat mostly a plant based diet with lean proteins and few if any carbs.
                          I go for those heart calicification tests and my arteries come back clean and no blockages.
                          I'm not going to take a pill everyday that ruins my liver and joints for a "number" if the heart and pipes are clear. I have had numerous doctors agree with me as well. I just have crappy numbers.
                          That is what I'm doing. But I've been warned that with bad numbers the arteries can build up fast..sometimes real fast. They're not sure what triggers the build up.

But it may all be hog wash also.

Comment

I fight it as does all of my dad's side of the family and take meds. Interested in all of the alternate ways to control it. Hopefully some from the old posts will reply with their success rates.

Comment

These work....for a fact. I and many others have blood work to support it.

Citrus Bergamot (2 pills a day/1000mg total) Be careful as this can lower it too much sometimes. Yes, too low isn’t good either. Jarrow is the brand I use.

Cholesterol Pro (2 pills a day). NOW foods is the brand I use.

Coq10 Ubiquinol QH Absorb by Jarrow. I take 2 pills a day.

Red Yeast....I do not take this, but there is science to support it works. I just don’t need it with the above listed supps that I’m taking.

Cardio is KING when it comes to cholesterol numbers. Walking on a treadmill does not count. You walk all the time. That doesn’t get your heart rate up. Get on the stepmill. Get your heart rate up to 140–150 and hold there for 15-20 min a day.

All the things I listed above can be found on Amazon.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom View Post
                                Diet & nutrition science has change drastically over the last few years.....do not fall into the serial medicated crowd.

I have a good "up to date" book on diet, cholesterol, etc......PM me with your email and I will send you an e-copy
                                This, but add "exercise"

eat lots of greens! become a rabbit a for 6 months and exercise everyday.

Comment

Working...
                                X