Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Cholesterol med alternatives?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Doc finally got me to start taking the meds, I don't even know which one it is, been on it for over a month, no side effects yet that I can see. He told me he takes it and his numbers were normal to begin with, I go back in a couple months to have it checked, I am fairly sure my numbers will be lower, I have started back at the gym a month ago.

Comment

I've been on Simvastian 20mg for many years, no problem, also take a Garlique pill and fish oil with high omega 3, numbers has been great.

God Bless
      Bish

Comment

Originally posted by CTR0022 View Post
        red yeast rice as a supplement and start drinking metamucil 2-3 times a day. but obviously exercise and eating right have the biggest impact.
        This is exactly what I do. My HDL, triglycerides, and non-HDL cholesterol are very good. Only my LDL is high. Red yeast and metamucil have brought it down. If you take red yeast, you need to take CO-Q-10.

Comment

I've seen a lot of folks med lists with cholestramine on it. I've asked a doc about it and they said it usually helps but not huge. What has your doc reccomended? Everyone's different, I'd def ask your doc the options

Comment

Flax seed (crushed tablespoon/day), olive or avocado oil (tablespoon/day), oatmeal on a regular daily basis lowered mine. Just mixed it all in greek yogurt in the morning to get it over with.

This replaced the usual eggs and toast and all that goes with them.

Every additional minute of endurance activity goes toward reduction.

Comment

Benefiber

Comment

I found out a while back I have high cholesterol, I eat clean every day, work out, cardio etc
                This was a huge shock to me, my bad cholesterol was way high... put me on a statin 5mg
                Came back for a second blood test and level still high, confused.. decided to do a genetic blood test and found out I have (Familial hypercholesterolemia (FH) this is a mutated gene that is hereditary... basically it doesn’t matter how clean I eat, how much I work out etc I’m stuck on a meds.

It’s worth looking into for those of you battelng HC and are not getting them to lower !

Comment

diet and exercise. and oatmeal. I refuse to take the statins...

Comment

Originally posted by rwbrew3 View Post
                    I found out a while back I have high cholesterol, I eat clean every day, work out, cardio etc
                    This was a huge shock to me, my bad cholesterol was way high... put me on a statin 5mg
                    Came back for a second blood test and level still high, confused.. decided to do a genetic blood test and found out I have (Familial hypercholesterolemia (FH) this is a mutated gene that is hereditary... basically it doesn’t matter how clean I eat, how much I work out etc I’m stuck on a meds.

It’s worth looking into for those of you battelng HC and are not getting them to lower !
                    100% same here

Comment

Originally posted by Deers & Beers View Post
                      100% same here
                      Sux, also puts at a great risk of heart disease, heart attack and stroke. I hate taking meds and like the natural route but sadly not an option at this point.

Not sure how they will ever be able to correct a mutated gene but I hope they come up with something. Because of this (FH) all of my kids ( 8 & 18 ) have to be tested and if discover they will also be put on medication. Praying this is not
                      The case.

Comment

Originally posted by 1riot1ranger View Post
                        diet and exercise. and oatmeal. I refuse to take the statins...
                        This was my take on it as well, finally agreed to try statins for 6 months, we shall see, so far so good

Comment

cholestyramine. Taste like you're drinking dry chalk but you get used to it. Don't try to chug it. Only makes it worse. I was taking it for something else but it's an old cholesterol drug that's supposed to work.

Comment

I eat pretty good ( a lot more veggies, fruit, lowered meat intake alot) exercise 5 times a week (weigh 15#s less than when I graduated high school 40 years ago) but you cant beat genetics. My dad had high cholesterol (and 4 strokes) , my mom has it (and is skinny as a rail), my brother .......
                            I've even tried going full blown vegetarian and still couldn't get my numbers below 200. been on statins for 5 years. God, I wish I could find something.

Comment

I strongly recommend to anyone having trouble lowering to get tested for FH - Had a good friend die from a heart attack from it and sheet had a massive stroke

Comment

Originally posted by rwbrew3 View Post

I bet I have FH - No matter how good I eat and work out my LDL's are way too high.

I still won't take statins though.

Originally posted by mjhaverkamp View Post
                                This was my take on it as well, finally agreed to try statins for 6 months, we shall see, so far so good
                                Be careful. Side affects may sneak up on you. Then you may have leg cramps for ever..And no way to prove it was the statins that caused it. Statins are very bad IMO

Comment

Working...
                                X