Discount Tire - side tread nail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oktx View Post
    We bought my daughter a used car. It had tires bought from Discount tire on it. The previous owner had bought road hazard coverage. She hit something and cut a tire. They gave her a $180 tire no questions asked. It cost her $30 to get road hazard for new tire.
    Same for my daughter

Comment

I had to quit discount years ago because of all their stupid rules. I'm much happier with my local independent tire shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
        Read it again. It says I didn't get road hazard etc. I pay $19.95 to get my tires rotated and balanced. They will come pick up the vehicle, do the work, and return it. I'd rather do that than sit in the waiting room at Discount for who knows how long. Do dealerships sell tires cheap out of the goodness of their hearts. No they don't. It's all part of the game to sell you something else. No different than Discount selling you insurance on your tires. Just run the numbers and don't fall for the upsell.
        I read it. You stated total out the door cost, not selling price of the tire. You're not obligated to buy anything. You made it sound like the stealership was beating the pants off Discount.....not true. Not having a discount around you would be a deciding factor. I travel by 3 or 4 daily.

I can schedule a flat repair or tire rotation online with Discount and be in and out in 30 minutes. Like I said, too each his own.

Comment

my opinion only, but DT is a joke, and road hazard is a joke. I support local. my local shop beats DT by $283 out the door for what I run on my truck. that is more than a new tire. ive never left DT in a good mood. seems I always get the run around about something. road hazard is nothing more than buying a 5th tire and not getting it unless you need it. the only way road hazard will pay for itself is if you ruined 2 tires.

I will say I am disappointed in my truck/tire performance. I rotate with every oil change. 7000-7500. I just ordered my 6th set of tires for my truck, will be here Wednesday. 40k is the best ive ever done on a set of tires. matter of fact, the first 5 sets were all less than 23k. ive had the front end gone through with a fine tooth comb and just accepted the fact that my truck eats tires. I would be tickled pink to have half tread left at 32k on a set.

Comment

Originally posted by LivinADream View Post
            my opinion only, but DT is a joke, and road hazard is a joke. I support local. my local shop beats DT by $283 out the door for what I run on my truck. that is more than a new tire. ive never left DT in a good mood. seems I always get the run around about something. road hazard is nothing more than buying a 5th tire and not getting it unless you need it. the only way road hazard will pay for itself is if you ruined 2 tires.

I will say I am disappointed in my truck/tire performance. I rotate with every oil change. 7000-7500. I just ordered my 6th set of tires for my truck, will be here Wednesday. 40k is the best ive ever done on a set of tires. matter of fact, the first 5 sets were all less than 23k. ive had the front end gone through with a fine tooth comb and just accepted the fact that my truck eats tires. I would be tickled pink to have half tread left at 32k on a set.
            Who's your dealer? I'm about to buy a set of Dynapro MT's. If they can save me the cost of a new tire on a set, they can have my buisness.

Comment

I use Hatfield and son. He's a small mechanic shop in Winnie.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Comment

All major tire manufacturers are part of the U.S. tire manufacturers association formerly the rubber manufacturers association. They have a specific way to repair a tire. A none RMA repair will most of the time void any warranty from the manufacturer. An RMA repair requires a 1/4 inch diameter pug filler that will ware with the tire and keep moister out of the belt package. There is a one square inch patch that must lay flat inside the tire. This requires the puncture to be 1/2 inch from the shoulder of the tire. The shoulder of the tire is where the belts in the tread meet the belts in the side wall. Any tire the has a defect such as not meeting mileage warranty, tread separation, or ozone cracking, will not be accepted back by the manufacturer. Discount tire is just a middle man, if they give you credit on a tire the manufacturer will take the tire inspect it and issue credit back to the company. If the tire has a non RMA repair or does not meet the manufacturers requirements the credit discount tire gave you comes out of pocket of the company.As for the road hazard all tires come with a pro-rated road hazard. The credit issued is based on the remaining tread depth at the lowest point. The certificate covers the tire 100% down to 3/32 at the lowest point.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk
                Last edited by crzymike; 09-17-2017, 02:49 PM.

Comment

No one should ppatch a side wall. The real question what was the difference with out the pro rate. Also with one tire being new the other side will will wear the new tire down pretty quick. Sort of wearing a new right foot shoe and a old left foot. May want to buy 2 and see if they will discount a second

Comment

Originally posted by stevieray54 View Post
                    No one should ppatch a side wall. The real question what was the difference with out the pro rate. Also with one tire being new the other side will will wear the new tire down pretty quick. Sort of wearing a new right foot shoe and a old left foot. May want to buy 2 and see if they will discount a second

Good idea that is what the O&M says. Going to ride with one new one for awhile. If the other one doesn't last 50K miles (20K more to go) and I'm at 8/32 now (16/32 new). It rides fine so far but yes I agree the other one will wear quicker. I'll check it in 7,500 miles and see what it does.

Comment

That nail is just on edge of tire, my nephew is manager of one discount tire. They don't like to put plugs in tire along that edge (not sure to hold up). Now if it completely on side [thinner area], they won't repair. Yours is in iffy area, but it could still be repaired.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun shooter View Post
                        I would have brought it home and put a plug in it. Probably get another 30k out of it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                        This. I gave nitto couple tries, didn't have much success.

Comment

There are a few tire places much closer, but I always go to discount tire. I kept getting a slow leak on one tire and when I took it in they said it was unrepairable, slapped a new tire on it for free and had me out the door in under 30 minutes.

Comment

Working...
                          X