No announcement yet.

Discount Tire - side tread nail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My truck developed a bad vibration on all four corners about 10,000 miles into a set of tires, discount tried everything they could to figure out what it was but we couldnt figure it out... before it was over with they gave me a brand new set which completely fixed the issue and charged me nothing!! Funny how some have real good experience with DT and some have horrible!

Comment

One question. If Discount wasn't making good money on the road hazard would they be pushing it so hard or selling it? I buy my tires from the local Chevy dealership. They beat Discounts price every time by a good margin. A friend bought the same tires that I did. I paid right at a $1000 for a set and he paid $1350. No road hazard for me but I can afford to buy a tire or two for the price difference.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
        One question. If Discount wasn't making good money on the road hazard would they be pushing it so hard or selling it? I buy my tires from the local Chevy dealership. They beat Discounts price every time by a good margin. A friend bought the same tires that I did. I paid right at a $1000 for a set and he paid $1350. No road hazard for me but I can afford to buy a tire or two for the price difference.
        Like I was saying above you are prepaying for your new tire. You have to buy Road hazard on the new tire being replaced

They have figured this number game out very well.

Comment

I personally have had mixed results with DT , some times they have been real jerks about replacing a tire with a side wall puncture " I lived and worked south of San Antonio and had 6 tires replaced in a year after 4 they became jerks " that being said I have bought tires from them for 30 years and generally don't have a problem with them except for the long wait time to accomplish anything there

Comment

Always worth thinking about.

But since DT would price-match the price match, you only get a B+ today.

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
              Always worth thinking about.

But since DT would price-match the price match, you only get a B+ today.
              Like buying a vehicle. Shop around and come back. We'll beat any price. I don't play that game. Give me your best price right off the bat or I go somewhere else. Plus the nearest Discount is 70 miles away. Why drive that far to pay the same?

Comment

Like buying a vehicle. Shop around and come back. We'll beat any price. I don't play that game. Give me your best price right off the bat or I go somewhere else. Plus the nearest Discount is 70 miles away. Why drive that far to pay the same?
                You must live in BFE. They are like Starbucks.

Comment

You must live in BFE.
                  Not quite. But on a clear day I can see BFE from here.

Comment

You must live in BFE. They are like Starbucks.
                    Not south of San Antonio, when I am on one of the ranchs , Laredo is 80 miles
                    Corpus Christi 100 miles or I can just limp home to boerne? 120 miles
                    Those are the only DT's in my area so just easier to get a $10 patch and life goes on
                    Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 09-16-2017, 09:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kumathebear View Post
                      I never buy a tire anywhere except Discount. Yep, I've had some "heated" arguments with them over their criteria to replace a "sidewall" puncture as well. I became good friends with the GM at our local Discount several years ago and we share the "hunting/shooting" lifestyle. There are SO many Dam lawsuits resulting in "bad" repairs that affect all of us. They will not even MOUNT a spare that is beyond a certain time period....why, again because of litigation from law suits if the spare fails. It's ALWAYS trying to protect your company from those who will sue you for anything!! Just part of the reason........

Every tire I buy from them, and I have bought a LOT over the ranch years and land sales always spend the extra $$ for the warranty. Just take a road hazard ruined tire to another dealer and see how far you get?? I'll take a $35+/- charge to replace a $200+/- tire ANYDAY? I'm a hot headed ole' fart and will argue as much as I can to save $$...but it is what it is? When you always buy from one source, you create relationships and eventually will discover why the prices and policies are the way they are.

So, at least for me...Discount will always have my business..our vehicles and OUR UTV'S as well.

BUY the Road Hazard Warranty...it's worth it particularly if you run HIGH $$ tires like we have to!!!! Nuff' said
                      But didn't you pay 4 x $35 = $140 for the road hazard when you bought the tires? Rarely would one have a road hazard claim on more than one tire at a time. So, it cost $140 to get a free $200 tire?

I agree!

Comment

Sidewall repairs don't usually hold up. I ran a tire store (Job title was OWNER) and I have seen it tried, but never very satisfactorily. The only way I would even attempt a sidewall repair is with a hot patch on the inside after buffing the inside area with an abrasive disc and cleaning the snot out of it. Sidewall flex works a plug loose in short order.

Comment

I know for sure DT has lost money selling me the road hazard which I insist on buying.

Comment

I've had a problem with DT and road hazard too. When I bought new tires for my old frontier they offered me the RH. I accepted it and paid the $30 or so per tire.

A couple years later I had acrepair that couldn't be plugged because it was too close to the sidewall. They told me it would cost another $35 to replace the tire.

I asked why, they told me I had to buy the hazard warranty for the new tire again. I argued with them but they wouldn't do it. I was half tread on the other tires so I figured I'd just let it ride at that point.

The way I figured it, I had 3 more certificates to burn before needing to buy anymore road hazard warranty

Comment

That's like comparing an apple to a ham sammich. He bought the road hazard, free flat and tire rotations too. No way the stealership beats Discount by $85 a tire

Too each his own......Discount gets all my business. FTR, I never buy the road hazard. Never needed it in the last 25 years. Guess I'm lucky.

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                                That's like comparing an apple to a ham sammich. He bought the road hazard, free flat and tire rotations too. No way the stealership beats Discount by $85 a tire

Too each his own......Discount gets all my business. FTR, I never buy the road hazard. Never needed it in the last 25 years. Guess I'm lucky.
                                Read it again. It says I didn't get road hazard etc. I pay $19.95 to get my tires rotated and balanced. They will come pick up the vehicle, do the work, and return it. I'd rather do that than sit in the waiting room at Discount for who knows how long. Do dealerships sell tires cheap out of the goodness of their hearts. No they don't. It's all part of the game to sell you something else. No different than Discount selling you insurance on your tires. Just run the numbers and don't fall for the upsell.

Comment

Working...
                                X