No announcement yet.

Discount Tire - side tread nail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad place for a repair (patch) you could plug but I am not a big fan of plugs at today's higway speeds

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun shooter View Post
      I would have brought it home and put a plug in it. Probably get another 30k out of it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      Originally posted by mavrick View Post
      I would have plugged it and drove for another 50,000 miles
      I agree with both of you

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
        We bought my daughter a used car. It had tires bought from Discount tire on it. The previous owner had bought road hazard coverage. She hit something and cut a tire. They gave her a $180 tire no questions asked. It cost her $30 to get road hazard for new tire.

That's amazing!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by mavrick View Post
          I would have plugged it and drove for another 50,000 miles

I'm at 1/2 the full tread with 30K miles now...not sure these tires will make their own 50K warranty as shown on the original receipt.

Comment

Originally posted by twosixteens View Post
            Bad place for a repair (patch) you could plug but I am not a big fan of plugs at today's higway speeds

It's a 3/4 ton and I'm pulling a boat this next week all the way from New Braunfels to Port Mansfield. Not sure if the plug would have shot out of there like a rocket

Comment

Plug it yourself!!

Comment

I never buy a tire anywhere except Discount. Yep, I've had some "heated" arguments with them over their criteria to replace a "sidewall" puncture as well. I became good friends with the GM at our local Discount several years ago and we share the "hunting/shooting" lifestyle. There are SO many Dam lawsuits resulting in "bad" repairs that affect all of us. They will not even MOUNT a spare that is beyond a certain time period....why, again because of litigation from law suits if the spare fails. It's ALWAYS trying to protect your company from those who will sue you for anything!! Just part of the reason........

Every tire I buy from them, and I have bought a LOT over the ranch years and land sales always spend the extra $$ for the warranty. Just take a road hazard ruined tire to another dealer and see how far you get?? I'll take a $35+/- charge to replace a $200+/- tire ANYDAY? I'm a hot headed ole' fart and will argue as much as I can to save $$...but it is what it is? When you always buy from one source, you create relationships and eventually will discover why the prices and policies are the way they are.

So, at least for me...Discount will always have my business..our vehicles and OUR UTV'S as well.

BUY the Road Hazard Warranty...it's worth it particularly if you run HIGH $$ tires like we have to!!!! Nuff' said

Comment

I run the goodyear wrangle duratrac. I rotate about every 6,000 miles. I put them on around 45,000 and have 112,000 miles now. The ride great. I went from 30" to 33" height, so about 10% bigger. Not sure if that is 10% higher on mileage, but anyways. A lot of miles and still running them. I think they are to the point where they don't really wear anymore, just hard/make little road noise.
                  Oh, its 4 x4 1500 chevy

Comment

Originally posted by Aggie_bowtech View Post
                    Totally not complaining or upset. Disappointed with the tire performance. Not disappointed with DT or their policies at all.

Well your question asked whether it was "fair." In the title of the thread is Discount Tire not Nitto.

I understand your concern. If I were in your shoes I would've asked the sales man to give me a discount on buying a second tire so they would match.

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
                      Well your question asked whether it was "fair." In the title of the thread is Discount Tire not Nitto.

I understand your concern. If I were in your shoes I would've asked the sales man to give me a discount on buying a second tire so they would match.

I asked if it was fair yes. It would be complaining if I said it isn't fair. Hard to read the real messages with text so oh well.

Yes, agree on the 2nd tire. Ended up just doing the one new one and if it rumbles or if I don't like the ride I'll get another and I'm sure they'll work something out on a discount.

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong but when I figured the warranty you are basically prepaying for one tire. Then if you have a problem in the future and have to replace the tire you have one new tire mixed in with older tires. Also they try not to give you full value etc.

I quit buying the warranty. I do get the lifetime balancing and I buy the lifetime alignment at Firestone.

Seems like the warranty is not worth the money.

Comment

Originally posted by TXHunter12 View Post
                          Correct me if I'm wrong but when I figured the warranty you are basically prepaying for one tire. Then if you have a problem in the future and have to replace the tire you have one new tire mixed in with older tires. Also they try not to give you full value etc.

I quit buying the warranty. I do get the lifetime balancing and I buy the lifetime alignment at Firestone.

Seems like the warranty is not worth the money.
                          See post#10.

Comment

Originally posted by Aggie_bowtech View Post
                            It's a 3/4 ton and I'm pulling a boat this next week all the way from New Braunfels to Port Mansfield. Not sure if the plug would have shot out of there like a rocket

Anytime it gets near the sidewall, all big names will not touch it due to liability...most would simply plug / hot patch & be done with it with a no name tire shop & what I would have done in this application. I most certainly wouldn't do it with a race compound tire on a high performance car but have fixed numerous situations like yours without further issues.

Excessive tire wear could have been contributed to under inflated tires / lack of rotation as well & they kinda hold the cards with this ammo...it is what it is.

Comment

Discount Tires won't repair a puncture within 1" of the sidewall. I believe it's more of a sales trick moreso than a safety issue.

I used to purchase road hazard until I had a blow-out at 9K miles. The guy was a raging A-hole and told me he prorated the tire price and then I had to purchase the road hazard on the new tire as well. Thus, my brand new $240 tire + road hazard and tax and fees cost me almost $280. I asked for a manager and he too was an A-hole. He confirmed what his A-hole employee stated. I told them, "Just forget the road hazard and sell me a tire." They got very, very pis*y and told me they don't sell tires w/o RH. What??? These guys were raising their voices and couldn't be more incoherent if they tried. I told them to forget it and I would go somewhere else.

I turned to leave and a police officer was coming in. He stopped me and told me to talk to him. The sorry A-holes called the cops on me! Luckily, other customers confirmed my story and stated the employees were out of control. It was a weird experience and I don't buy road hazard or have DT repair squat for me anymore.

That being said, I witnessed a friend get a tire replaced for $28 using the road hazard. I may have stumbled onto a scam....I don't know.
                              Last edited by Livin'2hunt; 09-16-2017, 06:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Livin'2hunt View Post
                                Discount Tires won't repair a puncture within 1" of the sidewall. I believe it's more of a sales trick moreso than a safety issue.

I used to purchase road hazard until I had a blow-out at 9K miles. The guy was a raging A-hole and told me he prorated the tire price and then I had to purchase the road hazard on the new tire as well. Thus, my brand new $240 tire + road hazard and tax and fees cost me almost $280. I asked for a manager and he too was an A-hole. He confirmed what his A-hole employee stated. I told them, "Just forget the road hazard and sell me a tire." They got very, very pis*y and told me they don't sell tires w/o RH. What??? These guys were raising their voices and couldn't be more incoherent if they tried. I told them to forget it and I would go somewhere else.

I turned to leave and a police officer was coming in. He stopped me and told me to talk to him. The sorry A-holes called the cops on me! Luckily, other customers confirmed my story and stated the employees were out of control. It was a weird experience and I don't buy road hazard or have DT repair squat for me anymore.

That being said, I witnessed a friend get a tire replaced for $28 using the road hazard. I may have stumbled onto a scam....I don't know.

Wow, never had anything like that happen at DT, but the one I've been dealing with for years just changed management, and I hadn't really dealt with them yet on any issues.

Comment

Working...
                                X