Depression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
    Sometimes the best thing to say is nothing at all.
    Well said.

Comment

Just lost my BIL to suicide about a month ago. sorry for your loss.

Comment

Selfish act.... you have no idea what you are talking about. Pot meet kettle, sounds like a very selfish thing to say actually which is so very ironic.

Since someone who would say this obviously has no understanding of emotional pain and misery caused by anxiety and depression I will leave an example maybe you will understand, physical pain.

Imagine at what level you would have to be tortured in intense physical pain that you would look at a gun or a noose and say yes, this is my way out of this hell. Its at that same level that someone suffering from a mental illness feels that they would make that choice from emotional pain.

Lots of real selfish men and women went to war recently and came back to be very selfish. What selfish people they were.

Prayers for your Nephew OP.

Comment

Sorry for your loss brother. Lost my nephew to suicide back in April. It's a tough road to travel.

Comment

Sorry for your loss. Prayers out to you and your family.

Comment

x2

Sorry for your loss OP...wish you and your family all the best through this tough time. Depression/anxiety and all the rest that go along with it DOES suck.

Comment

^^^This

Comment

Originally posted by J Sweet View Post
                  Selfish act.... you have no idea what you are talking about. Pot meet kettle, sounds like a very selfish thing to say actually which is so very ironic.

Since someone who would say this obviously has no understanding of emotional pain and misery caused by anxiety and depression I will leave an example maybe you will understand, physical pain.

Imagine at what level you would have to be tortured in intense physical pain that you would look at a gun or a noose and say yes, this is my way out of this hell. Its at that same level that someone suffering from a mental illness feels that they would make that choice from emotional pain.

Lots of real selfish men and women went to war recently and came back to be very selfish. What selfish people they were.

Gonna have to respectfully disagree fellas. People end it because they're focused solely on their own pain and situation/lot in life.

Having contemplated suicide as a younger man, I can also speak from my own experience. I didn't care about the pain I would have caused so many people.

Comment

In these examples I tend to agree. But, I've seen the selfish side of it as well. Had kinfolk to pull that trigger. Lots of friends and family around all the time, successful business, etc. Not sure what else to call it when a person takes issues or small problems and passes them (along with the pain of their death) to their friends, family and kids to deal with. Sux either way and is getting worse. Prayers...

Comment

Everyone has their own opinions on the matter for sure, and that's exactly what they are....opinions no one is right or wrong. After seeing people like Robin Williams, most recent Chester Bennington and reading about military and first responder suicide rates I believe people with depression are fighting demons I can't fathom and for me to say it's selfish, for me is wrong. I have never walked a mile in their shoes and I pray I never do, to me there is definitely something more going on.

Comment

Originally posted by woodsman View Post
                        Gonna have to respectfully disagree fellas. People end it because they're focused solely on their own pain and situation/lot in life.

Having contemplated suicide as a younger man, I can also speak from my own experience. I didn't care about the pain I would have caused so many people.
                        A lot of people that do it actually believe they are doing their family a favor. They think they will mourn a little while and then be better of without them. Sometimes it's selfish and sometimes it's not. You can't paint them all with that broad of a brush.

Comment

It's sad. One of my best friends was depressed for a long time, started doing meth which just made it worse, and then ended up doing the same thing. Sorry for your loss and I'll keep you guys in my prayers.

Comment

Said a prayer for him, hope all is well.

Comment

This^^^^ 100%

Comment

In my opinion, ultimately it is selfish. Not an intentional selfishness though. I just don't think the disease will let them see past their challenges. My brother in law was the most good hearted man you'd want to know. Kind to the core. He'd have dug a kidney out with a pocket knife for another person in need. He was successful, and highly educated too. He did not do drugs or alcohol, and he was a strong Christian.

But he couldn't get past it. He killed himself.

Depression is more substantial than most of us know. And we sure don't understand it. But the OP is spot on. It SUX.

Comment

Working...
                                X