No announcement yet.

Quick help unleaded in my Diesel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bought my first diesel in 09 and was worried to death about putting gas in it. At 10k miles I had the fuel filter changed and on the way home stopped to fill up while at the pump the wife called and told me to hurry home she needed to leave. I get fuel go home and the next morning truck will not start. I was in a panic called dealership get the long story about the gas not covered blah blah. They towed the truck off and I took the wife's car to the gas station and reenacted putting fuel in it just to easy my mind.

it was a collapsed fuel filter.

op glad it all worked out.

Comment

Originally posted by Tmag View Post
      That's good news there, didn't work out so well for a bud of mine. He filled it up and drove it off with gas in it, cost him $11k at Anderson Ford.

I'm not gonna say he got took, but....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
        I'm not gonna say he got took, but....

.............he got took.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironman View Post
          Of course you can. Gas will keep diesel from gelling. Gas is added to diesel all the time.
          I meant a lot of gas to diesel, I have a buddy that has done it more than once, tow truck to the shop is what happened, and an expensive bill.

Comment

VW told you to use a couple gal. unlead in there diesel engines for anti gel in winter. Have a friend that drove one 300,000 miles doing it.

Comment

Some of you have been sold a bill of goods on this topic...and some actually paid it.

You were never in any danger. If you'd gotten closer to 50/50 you could dump a quart of atf in it and change the filter a couple times.
              MY FIL did this to his tractor a few weeks ago. 2 gal of gas in a 10 gal tank. I called a mechanic friend and he said add a little atf and fill with diesel. The Deere never missed a beat.
              Hunting Videos & Flickr Pix

Comment

Originally posted by RodinaRanč View Post
                Lmao...you must not have bought a turbo lately or tow much...too busy with spelling I suspect; then again you could just be Canadian or British...lol
                its not a big rig tho'

Comment

Originally posted by Bruiser View Post
                  its not a big rig tho'
                  What's your point?

Comment

Ran fine all day. Glad I took some of the advise and took a chance.

Comment

Dale, what is ATF (certainly not what I'm used to...) and exactly how does it counter the 50/50 mix with gas.

I actually see this becoming a bit more common with all the new E85 pumps showing up that look like diesel nozzles...not sure if E85 would be any worse over unleaded.

I don't think I will ever get another diesel unless I could cover the delete...that whole def & the problem I continue to hear are awful. Really think they jacked up a good thing. Last one I had was an 05 with that engine everyone hates, but I thought it was way better than the 02 everyone said was the best diesel Ford made??

Anyway, I'm driving a 2011 6.0 Chevy with 288,000 miles...the company gave it to me last year with 180k and I have done nothing but regular maintenance. Now, it's a straight up dog on the giddy-up, but have to say I'm really impressed with it's durability. Been a great vehicle for the job application. I'm the only sales guy with a 3/4 ton & already commented to the boss I doubt the 1/2 ton would work with the big trailer & the long bed is a must. No idea what they will put me in next.

Some of you have been sold a bill of goods on this topic...and some actually paid it.

You were never in any danger. If you'd gotten closer to 50/50 you could dump a quart of atf in it and change the filter a couple times.

I've had some employees do this....one was in a brand new Mack.[emoji15]

Comment

Originally posted by Spearchunker View Post
                        Ran fine all day. Glad I took some of the advise and took a chance.
                        Hey bud following up, hows she running.......????

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                          Dale, what is ATF (certainly not what I'm used to...) and exactly how does it counter the 50/50 mix with gas.

I actually see this becoming a bit more common with all the new E85 pumps showing up that look like diesel nozzles...not sure if E85 would be any worse over unleaded.

I don't think I will ever get another diesel unless I could cover the delete...that whole def & the problem I continue to hear are awful. Really think they jacked up a good thing. Last one I had was an 05 with that engine everyone hates, but I thought it was way better than the 02 everyone said was the best diesel Ford made??

Anyway, I'm driving a 2011 6.0 Chevy with 288,000 miles...the company gave it to me last year with 180k and I have done nothing but regular maintenance. Now, it's a straight up dog on the giddy-up, but have to say I'm really impressed with it's durability. Been a great vehicle for the job application. I'm the only sales guy with a 3/4 ton & already commented to the boss I doubt the 1/2 ton would work with the big trailer & the long bed is a must. No idea what they will put me in next.
                          Automatic
                          Transmission
                          Fluid

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post

Artos, a.t.f ........ Transmission fluid, I run it in mine all the time, Yes in the fuel tank...

Comment

I'm Still confused on the Big Rig Comments.... Help me out plz.

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy1911 View Post
                                I'm Still confused on the Big Rig Comments.... Help me out plz.
                                Most of the Rigs never shut off while refueling... common practice to lock truck w/ spare key leave it running.........

Comment

Working...
                                X