No announcement yet.

Stained concrete problems. Options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That would work. Only thing is you would need to wait 30days after the slab is poured to stain it. You would have to let the concrete cure. Im not sure why we didnt do it this route.

Comment

Originally posted by mjhaverkamp View Post
      I don't mean to be a smart arse but it can be skim coated and stained, the skim coat will take a stain really nice, no grinding involved, if he were closer i could have one of my guys fix it for him, it will cost more money but he will have acid stained floors.

In my opinion mechanical abrasion removes the impurities and opens up the pores to create a better bond. But sure, you could go over the top and probably be fine. Too bad you aren't closer to help out.

Comment

Micro Top everything and you should get a perfect floor. Your stain guys should know this, but its not a cheap fix. Use ARDEX products

Comment

Originally posted by Agdog View Post
          In my opinion mechanical abrasion removes the impurities and opens up the pores to create a better bond. But sure, you could go over the top and probably be fine. Too bad you aren't closer to help out.
          This is true, you can do a heavy acid wash to open up the concrete, or you can do a very light grind as you suggested, probably 6 in one and half a dozen in the other, on any overlay the prep is critical.

Comment

Originally posted by Pernell View Post
            Micro Top everything and you should get a perfect floor. Your stain guys should know this, but its not a cheap fix. Use ARDEX products
            That is the stuff I was referring to, may be called another name as well, it takes a beautiful stain.

Comment

Originally posted by calfroper_06 View Post
              It is acid stain.

It was not exquisite stainers. Honestly i dont feel the stainer is reliable for any of this. His final outcome very much depends on the care and planning if the concrete prior to him.
              Yep. Builder is at fault.. Precautions must be taken.
              My brother owns a concrete design, staining and etching business. The floor should be completely covered/protected with thick paper or cardboard by the builder..

Comment

Just finished having a bay house built, about 3 months ago. Had heard about how much trouble it was to have a house built, but thought if I stayed in contact with the builder, and constantly monitored the progress, I could overcome most of the issues. To make a long story short, it came down to me letting the builder, and all of his work crews, know that they could do the work however they wanted, but if it wasn't done as we agreed on, it would be done free of charge. I don't think the builder thought we were serious, until we backed out of the sale, two weeks before closing. He ended up correcting the problems, and refunded the money for the ones that he chose not to fix. It sucks that you have to be that way, but if you're paying good money for something, it better be right. Nobody else will know that it's not right, except you, but you'll notice it every time you see it. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Engine Co. 29 View Post
                  Just finished having a bay house built, about 3 months ago. Had heard about how much trouble it was to have a house built, but thought if I stayed in contact with the builder, and constantly monitored the progress, I could overcome most of the issues. To make a long story short, it came down to me letting the builder, and all of his work crews, know that they could do the work however they wanted, but if it wasn't done as we agreed on, it would be done free of charge. I don't think the builder thought we were serious, until we backed out of the sale, two weeks before closing. He ended up correcting the problems, and refunded the money for the ones that he chose not to fix. It sucks that you have to be that way, but if you're paying good money for something, it better be right. Nobody else will know that it's not right, except you, but you'll notice it every time you see it. Good luck.

I'm not opposed to backing out of the deal that for sure. I expect a floor that looks good.

Comment

Originally posted by Pernell View Post
                    He did mention this, but I don't know the long term on that application. Also the cost for the builder at that point is reaching or passing the tile prices.

Comment

Have him put you some nice hand scraped wood floors over it. You won't regret it

Comment

I'm not even sure it's possible @ this point, but look into metallic epoxy. That's what we did in our new home & we love it. More durable than stain, no wear trails, fewer headaches all the way around. A little higher, but fairly comparably priced @ approx $5.50/sft.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by cj7zrcool View Post
                          I'm not even sure it's possible @ this point, but look into metallic epoxy. That's what we did in our new home & we love it. More durable than stain, no wear trails, fewer headaches all the way around. A little higher, but fairly comparably priced @ approx $5.50/sft.
                          Wow, That looks good!

Comment

Went to check on the house this evening. So they restained the front bedroom yesterday and finished staining the remaining house today. I was very curious to see the stain in the front bedroom because like the first time it took a day or so for the white spots to show. Well just as I though they came back, not as light but very visiable. The worst part is the floor is very very dark now. Almost black its so dark, not real happy about it. The other parts of the house are dark and they will get darker in the next 24hrs per the stain guy. You can see the hard edges from the ****e spots, I believe they will reappear by tomorrow after we wait. The study didnt take the stain very well, still a very light spot at the door that looks like a water stain, the just around the edges of the room are black and the center is light, very weird. As of right now most the living room looks good except for 5' off the back wall which is a very dark spot that runs all the way acrross the room, not like light and dsrk concrete stain but more just like a dark river. But once again the stain guy said the rest if the room will get darker by tomorrow.

Im sure frustrated by this as the color we picked out was more of a light grey/brown mixture not black. Its going to show every speck of dirt.

I need to go get better pictures
                            Attached Files

Comment

Suggest to abandon the stained concrete effort and select your 1st choice in a wood or natural stone floor. Adds value too.

Comment

Originally posted by tigerscowboy View Post
                                Suggest to abandon the stained concrete effort and select your 1st choice in a wood or natural stone floor. Adds value too.
                                This, at this point I think the stained concrete is out the window

Comment

Working...
                                X