Attn: Runners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RebeccaCreekKid View Post
    My $.02 as a running coach and former salesman at a specialty running store...

Although shoe fit is highly individual, there are some generalities.

Make sure the shoe fits; not just length but width and volume as well. Leave room for movement of foot inside shoe during running, and foot swelling. Test drive at the end of the day in the socks you will wear running.
    (Some brands are known for running wide (New Balance) others more narrow (Brooks, Nike))

And yes, the expensive running socks are worth it.

Get evaluated for pronation or supination and buy the stability or motion control model if indicated.

Pay attention to drop/ramp rate. If you don't know what this means, stick with a traditional 10 or 12mm drop. (Avoid Altra, Newton) Sudden change here is a recipe for injury.

Most will do best with a traditional cushioned runner. Many, especially older or heavier runners will enjoy the max cushion EG Hoka.

What are you using now? Or have had luck with in the past? Weekly mileage, weight, form/efficiency? Be happy to point you in a direction given some details.

Last year's models/colors are a great way to save $$$.
    Good advice. I love these nuwool socks for summer and cool weather running. https://www.injinji.com/run-lightwei...show-wool.html

Comment

I went through several Brooks Adrenaline models over the years and loved them. However last year i got a new pair and my knees immediately started hurting. Brooks have a larger heal-toe drop and I think think that is what caused the problems. I went with Saconey rides and love them, no more knee issues.

As has been previously stated, go to true running store and get fitted. You'll pay a tad bit more, but save money in the long run not to mention the possibility of injury.

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
        I'm probably going to be the odd man out.
        I run as close to barefoot as I can get using Merrill Vapor glovez [ not the kind with toes ].
        Disclaimer #1 I run on my farm on dirt roads.However I have done 3- 1/2 ironman tri's wearing these shoes plus countless 10k's and such distance.
        I'm a light weight at 150 lbs . I shifted to the minimalist several years ago after studying and perfecting my form which is critical for anyone intending to run for many years.
        Disclaimer #2- transitioning to minimalist shoes takes time and an adjustment for the achilles and much of the structure. However once adjusted it is very natural to run essentially barefoot and be injury free for life.

I'm 62 and going strong

I don't run near as much as you, and I'm heavier, but after reading "Born to Run" i started doing the same. Makes my lower back feel a whole lot better.

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
          I don't run near as much as you, and I'm heavier, but after reading "Born to Run" i started doing the same. Makes my lower back feel a whole lot better.
          If you liked 'Born to Run' check out a guy named Phil Maffetone. One of the top triathlon coaches of all time training the elite of all time endurance athletes. Plus many others of all abilities. Perhaps one of the best minds around understanding the fitness/health link.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason View Post
            I went through several Brooks Adrenaline models over the years and loved them. However last year i got a new pair and my knees immediately started hurting. Brooks have a larger heal-toe drop and I think think that is what caused the problems. I went with Saconey rides and love them, no more knee issues.

As has been previously stated, go to true running store and get fitted. You'll pay a tad bit more, but save money in the long run not to mention the possibility of injury.
            Nailed it.

I would follow up with: At least the first time; once you have an idea what works then you can shop online for subsequent pairs.

Comment

Don't buy cheap. Buy ones that fit you well. Replace them often. If you're a serious runner, your shoes are worn out long before they look it. Most manufacturers make quality shoes but they aren't the cheap ones. I've never found a pair costing less than $80 that fit me.

LWD

Comment

I went to Run On last night. The staff seemed very knowledgeable, and I left with a pair of Brooks Glycerin 15.

Comment

Love the last couple pairs of brooks I've had. Go to a place like Fort Worth Walking and Running Club or PlayTri and have them look at how you run/walk and give you some selections based on that. It made a huge difference for me

Comment

Asics Gel Kayano for me. I am heavier and over pronate when I run. Made a huge difference in my knee pain, as I began running with a neutral shoe, until I had my form evaluated at at a running shoe store.

Comment

Brooks or Asiics. If you aren't a guy that cares much about this years color changes, you can find last years shoes heavily discounted. My $150 Brooks cost me $75 new, just last years models. Same with Asiics and NB.

Comment

I run as close to barefoot as I can get using Merrill Vapor glovez [ not the kind with toes ].
                        Disclaimer #1 I run on my farm on dirt roads.However I have done 3- 1/2 ironman tri's wearing these shoes plus countless 10k's and such distance.
                        I'm a light weight at 150 lbs . I shifted to the minimalist several years ago after studying and perfecting my form which is critical for anyone intending to run for many years.
                        Disclaimer #2- transitioning to minimalist shoes takes time and an adjustment for the achilles and much of the structure. However once adjusted it is very natural to run essentially barefoot and be injury free for life.

I'm 62 and going strong
                        Originally posted by TxAg View Post
                        If you liked 'Born to Run' check out a guy named Phil Maffetone. One of the top triathlon coaches of all time training the elite of all time endurance athletes. Plus many others of all abilities. Perhaps one of the best minds around understanding the fitness/health link.
                        Good info fellas! I started running with minimal shoes a few years back but just could not stay with it. I was doing good but I have never had a mind for long distance running so I quit. I want to change that so I can run a few mid-distance races. What is the best way to get started with out causing injury. Last time I started of by running on a thread mill just so I could adjust to the shoes... your input is highly appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                          Good info fellas! I started running with minimal shoes a few years back but just could not stay with it. I was doing good but I have never had a mind for long distance running so I quit. I want to change that so I can run a few mid-distance races. What is the best way to get started with out causing injury. Last time I started of by running on a thread mill just so I could adjust to the shoes... your input is highly appreciated.
                          Start slow. Ramp up slowly. In running, frequency trumps duration and intensity. In other words, run a little often. Don't worry about speed.

Make sure to recover, and listen to your body.

Comment

I'm 62 and going strong
                            When I was 170 I loved to run barefoot or with minimalist shoes. Granted I was always barefoot growing up in Hawaii so my feet were conditioned to it. Now at 190 and just getting back to running after about 7 years I've noticed it doesn't feel good. I want to get back to it though, not a fan of a giant cushion feeling

Comment

Asics Gel Nimbus and Leuko tape when I start getting a hot spot

Comment

For my shorter, speed runs like a 5k or shorter I like my nikes. Anything longer and I wear Brooks ghosts. I just got a pair of under armour bandit 2s I am going to try soon.

Comment

Working...
                                X