Anyone on a Ketogenic Diet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MIHunter View Post
    How do you determine the number of calories you should be taking in.

I understand the 5% Carbs, 25% Proteins, & 75% Fats, but how do you break those down into calories per group and number of calories per day. I don't want to undershoot calories when I'm not supposed to. Looking to lose a total of 60lbs.
    There are several online calculators to determine daily caloric needs. Get you number off of one of those and adjust it up or down to dial in for your needs. www.iifym.com is one of the more popular ones. The only down side is you have to give them an email address to send your numbers to. Then, just unsubscribe.

Originally posted by TexaRican View Post
    Just "survived" my Mom's bday dinner at Saltrgrass. Filler Oscar with green beans. Peeled the breading off my asparagus. No beer no wine but no cravings either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    At least it was a steakhouse. Saltgrass is one of the easier places to maneuver around. Good choices.

Comment

Do any of you have b12 deficiency? I'm severely deficient in b12 and I'm having to get injections once a week. Anyone taking supplements for this type of issue?

Comment

Thanks

Originally posted by icetrauma View Post
        There are several online calculators to determine daily caloric needs. Get you number off of one of those and adjust it up or down to dial in for your needs. www.iifym.com is one of the more popular ones. The only down side is you have to give them an email address to send your numbers to. Then, just unsubscribe.

Thanks!

At least it was a steakhouse. Saltgrass is one of the easier places to maneuver around. Good choices.

Thanks!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Rack Ranch View Post
          We make them out of cheese. Low heat, melt a little butter in pan then sprinkle cheddar in pan about the size of a tortilla. Let it melt slow until it starts to get crispy the flip it over and repeat. Cook until flexible and wrap what you want in it or cook until crispy and make a tostada or quarter it up for chips.
          Sprinkle a little fresh roasted green chile on them while making them for a little extra flavor.

Comment

Three weeks in and down another 7 for total of 20.

Comment

Originally posted by Tree View Post
              Three weeks in and down another 7 for total of 20.
              Good work, keep it up.

Started last week at 285. 277 today. Daily intake approx 3200 calories. Goal is 3500, sometimes hit it. Sometimes come under.
              Last edited by icetrauma; 08-07-2017, 11:53 AM.

Comment

great podcast on intermittent fasting, for those that podcast...

the art of manliness episode #328

Comment

It will be three months for me on the 15th of this month. I hit my target weight a couple of days ago which is 185... I am down 23ish lbs and feel way better. I am going to keep going and get down to 180... Still lots of fat that needs to get burned off. Unfortunately, my lower back has been acting up and I have cut way back on exercise... I cheated today with a small Oreo blizzard and it tasted way too sweet... I played basketball for almost three hours after wards and the strips still show me at about a mid level...

For those of you that have been doing this a long time, what is your experiance with throwing in a cheat treat every once in a while?? I mostly did it because I was going to need a lot of energy to play basketball...

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                    It will be three months for me on the 15th of this month. I hit my target weight a couple of days ago which is 185... I am down 23ish lbs and feel way better. I am going to keep going and get down to 180... Still lots of fat that needs to get burned off. Unfortunately, my lower back has been acting up and I have cut way back on exercise... I cheated today with a small Oreo blizzard and it tasted way too sweet... I played basketball for almost three hours after wards and the strips still show me at about a mid level...

For those of you that have been doing this a long time, what is your experiance with throwing in a cheat treat every once in a while?? I mostly did it because I was going to need a lot of energy to play basketball...
                    When I dropped my initial 40 lbs, I had a cheat meal at Pappasito's. Complete with 2 large frozen margarita's with Grand Marnier toppers, chips, salsa, beef fajita's with all the trimmings and chocolate swirl cheese cake for dessert. I was back in full blown ketosis in 1 day. IMO, your goal is met. Live a little, a cheat meal every once in a while is an earned treat. JMO, and yes, I felt like chit after eating all those carbs. The bloat was real. I've learned to tone it down. Not on the margaritas but hardly any chips. I use them as more of a scoop/shovel for the salsa.

Just had a nice log of HEB's Garlic and Herb Goat cheese. Man is it delicious!

Comment

When I dropped my initial 40 lbs, I had a cheat meal at Pappasito's. Complete with 2 large frozen margarita's with Grand Marnier toppers, chips, salsa, beef fajita's with all the trimmings and chocolate swirl cheese cake for dessert. I was back in full blown ketosis in 1 day. IMO, your goal is met. Live a little, a cheat meal every once in a while is an earned treat. JMO, and yes, I felt like chit after eating all those carbs. The bloat was real. I've learned to tone it down. Not on the margaritas but hardly any chips. I use them as more of a scoop/shovel for the salsa.

Just had a nice log of HEB's Garlic and Herb Goat cheese. Man is it delicious!
                      Thanks for the info.... I felt weird about 30 minutes after eating the blizzard but once I started running I was good. Energy was good for the entire time I played and as per the test strips I am one level above where I was before eating the blizzard. I guess it's possible to burn through all of the sugar I one intense work out.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                        Thanks for the info.... I felt weird about 30 minutes after eating the blizzard but once I started running I was good. Energy was good for the entire time I played and as per the test strips I am one level above where I was before eating the blizzard. I guess it's possible to burn through all of the sugar I one intense work out.

I've read were people.would do long workouts, like you've done, to burn off a lot of calories to maintain or get into ketosis.

Comment

Biscuit recipe that uses Almond flour is pretty much BARF!

Kids wouldn't even eat them with strawberry jelly!

Keto coffee is great!

Comment

I've read were people.would do long workouts, like you've done, to burn off a lot of calories to maintain or get into ketosis.
                            I slipped out of ketosis on Monday and have no idea why. Did a full hour of cardio at lunch and still did not get back in. Only possible explanation is too much protein because I have certainly not eaten carbs. My week 3 weigh in yesterday was a huge disappointment - exactly the same weight as the week before.
                            Having a keto coffee this morning and then considering fasting the rest of today.

Comment

Yes, to much protein, and even protein powder can effect you level of Ketosis and even kick you out. Ratios of macros is important. I think you should consider IF. Eat your last meal around 7 in the evening and then fast for 16 hours. You can have some coffee in the morning or bone broth if you need help getting thru the 16 hours. Go to HIIT instead of pumping iron during your IF and you WILL see fat decreases. Good Luck

Comment

Originally posted by TexaRican View Post
                                I slipped out of ketosis on Monday and have no idea why. Did a full hour of cardio at lunch and still did not get back in. Only possible explanation is too much protein because I have certainly not eaten carbs. My week 3 weigh in yesterday was a huge disappointment - exactly the same weight as the week before.
                                Having a keto coffee this morning and then considering fasting the rest of today.
                                It happens, just get back on track and keep it going. Sometimes if you eat to much protein, they say it'll knock you out. Look over your daily intake and reevaluate your daily caloric needs. Sometimes you'll find you have to up the calories to keep the weight dropping off. Make adjustments as you see fit.

Comment

Working...
                                X