No announcement yet.

Anyone on a Ketogenic Diet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last edited by icetrauma; 08-03-2017, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JayKen86 View Post
      Have you tried supplementing caffeine for energy and headaches?
      I'm drinking about 64oz of tea a day.

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
        You monitor your BP daily? That's a massive weight loss in less than a month.
        No checked it last night at HEB though. I'm not sure the machine works for my size arm as it's tight before I start it. I did 2 readings, 1st was borderline high, 2nd was low. Average them is perfect. Didn't really tell me anything.

Yes I thought that was a lot in a short time too. I still think most of mine is because I feel like crap with no energy and i'm not eating as much. IMO the weight loss is less about keto and more on the lack of calories. I'm giving it a few more days before I switch. I really wanted a diet that let's me eat bacon, pork rinds, and brisket!

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
          Just curious for you folks that are on this diet: How long have you been on it and how much weight have you lost?
          I have been on it since last October. I lost 36 lbs. I hit my goal in Feb. I have been maintaining since. I am off my diabetes medicine (Type 2)

My sisters are in a 2 year "Keto" medical study. One has lost 100lbs. plus. The other 80 lbs. They both are off all their meds....Cholesterol, diabetes, blood pressure. They still have a year to go.

Comment

Originally posted by icetrauma View Post
            If you are happy with how your body feels then, don't change a thing. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Some people respond well to this type of eating and some don't.
            Couldn't agree more. You look at some cultures, say like the tundra, and there ain't a lot of carbs to find. It doesn't take much to see that diets vary a lot by region. That is why I don't instantly dismiss certain diets per-se. I was just getting too curious about all the supplement chatter that I had to ask. I'm not a supplement hater either. I am supplementing protein at the moment. I am doing quite a bit of strength conditioning and my body needs some extra protein and it is easier to make up a quick shake with whey powder, milk, and chocolate syrup for a recovery drink. Now, I could get that protein by just drinking more milk, eating more lean chicken, yada, yada, but I do like the shake. It tastes good.

But my curiosity came from the fact that although their are regions/cultures that are on a high fat diet, I'd have a hard time buying that they 'supplement' their diet. There must be some dietary component that gets them through these issues that folks seem to bring up; or I suppose it could be a regional based genetic predisposition.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
              I've been following this thread because I made comments on it early on. I see a lot of comments about needing to supplement while on this diet.

Are there people on this diet that are not having to supplement? They get what they need from basic food and meals within the diet's constraints? It still baffles me that your body somewhat fights against this mode and yet it is considered a good place to be.
              I'm going on my 5th full week of Keto and I don't take any supplements. I have lost a total of 25-30 lbs in the past 7 or 8 weeks. My scale stopped working about 2 weeks ago or I could say exactly how much I've lost. The first 2 weeks of my "diet" was eating what would be considered a normal diet (chicken, fish, salad, fresh vegetables, fresh fruit etc). For those 2 weeks I stayed hungry most of the time. My brother in law was doing Keto and convinced me to try it. The only side effects I had was headaches for 1 day, and that was because I wasn't drinking enough water or replacing my electrolytes. I started drinking more water and a large Powerade zero throughout the day and no more headaches. Since I started keto I'm eating about 200 more calories than I was on my other regimen, and I don't stay hungry. This is something that I believe I can sustain longer than a traditional "diet".

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BigL View Post
                1 month lost almost 30 pounds.

Felt miserable most of the time. Lot of headaches, muscle cramps, and low energy. Still got 40-50 pounds I want off so sticking with it through the weekend and trying supplements to see if the headaches go away. If not I'm moving on to something else that doesn't keep me feeling like this.
                Have you tried Powerade zero? It doesn't have any sugar and replaces electrolytes. Might give thatg a try.

Comment

Originally posted by dope hunter View Post
                  Have you tried Powerade zero? It doesn't have any sugar and replaces electrolytes. Might give thatg a try.

Haven't tried it, but did get the mio electrolytes stuff to put in water (I'm using it in my tea mostly).I Don't if it's that, the supplements, or the ibuprofen but headache isn't as bad today as the last few days. Going to not take Ibuprofen tomorrow and see what happens. Probably shouldn't use a full mio electrolytes thing in a day either but I am tired of these headaches and cramps. I'm sure lack of energy is a side effect of both those.

Comment

Originally posted by BigL View Post
                    Haven't tried it, but did get the mio electrolytes stuff to put in water (I'm using it in my tea mostly).I Don't if it's that, the supplements, or the ibuprofen but headache isn't as bad today as the last few days. Going to not take Ibuprofen tomorrow and see what happens. Probably shouldn't use a full mio electrolytes thing in a day either but I am tired of these headaches and cramps. I'm sure lack of energy is a side effect of both those.
                    Make sure to salt your foods really good and drink plenty of water. I haven't tried the mio stuff, but the Powerade zero is really good.

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
                      I just pulled the biscuits out of the oven from the recipe things are awesome. Reminds me a lot of red lobster biscuits
                      I am gonna make some of those...looks good.

Comment

Another fad diet. It will come and go. Best thing to do is to understand what your calorie burned per day is, then just don't consume more then that. I know of people who have had success and every diet out there. The main thing is to keep at it.

Comment

Originally posted by millertravis07 View Post
                          Another fad diet. It will come and go. Best thing to do is to understand what your calorie burned per day is, then just don't consume more then that. I know of people who have had success and every diet out there. The main thing is to keep at it.
                          You do realize this fad diet has been around since the 1920's.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                            Couldn't agree more. You look at some cultures, say like the tundra, and there ain't a lot of carbs to find. It doesn't take much to see that diets vary a lot by region. That is why I don't instantly dismiss certain diets per-se. I was just getting too curious about all the supplement chatter that I had to ask. I'm not a supplement hater either. I am supplementing protein at the moment. I am doing quite a bit of strength conditioning and my body needs some extra protein and it is easier to make up a quick shake with whey powder, milk, and chocolate syrup for a recovery drink. Now, I could get that protein by just drinking more milk, eating more lean chicken, yada, yada, but I do like the shake. It tastes good.

But my curiosity came from the fact that although their are regions/cultures that are on a high fat diet, I'd have a hard time buying that they 'supplement' their diet. There must be some dietary component that gets them through these issues that folks seem to bring up; or I suppose it could be a regional based genetic predisposition.

You're correct. Some cultures have been eating what they can for hundreds of years and that, is what their bodies have adapted to. I use the supplements to avoid the keto flu and to ensure I get an adequate daily amount of vitamins and minerals because my greens intake is not up to snuff. I also believe we are a more knowledgeable society and educated on proper nutrition.

Another reason I like keto is the amount of protein I have to take in is less than, what I used during the conventional low fat diets. I do miss some of the protein shakes but the side effects are rather off putting.

Comment

Originally posted by millertravis07 View Post

Sticking to a diet has little to do with calorie in/calorie out...
                              You put me on the same calorie deficit level diet of a non-Keto vs a Keto diet. I guarantee you I will be hungry, HANGRY, and ready to be off of the non-Keto diet within a month. Having done it with Keto, I don't miss the calories, I don't have cravings throughout the day, and I feel significantly better throughout the day... I don't want to quit this diet at all, and that's after 35lbs of loss. Typically, I get 8-10lbs into whatever diet my wife drug me into and get tired of starving all day. Then I quit and yoyo back up.

It is a pretty powerful thing to find a diet that easily lets you lose weight, makes you feel better than normal, and keeps you from being hungry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
                                Sticking to a diet has little to do with calorie in/calorie out...
                                You put me on the same calorie deficit level diet of a non-Keto vs a Keto diet. I guarantee you I will be hungry, HANGRY, and ready to be off of the non-Keto diet within a month. Having done it with Keto, I don't miss the calories, I don't have cravings throughout the day, and I feel significantly better throughout the day... I don't want to quit this diet at all, and that's after 35lbs of loss. Typically, I get 8-10lbs into whatever diet my wife drug me into and get tired of starving all day. Then I quit and yoyo back up.

It is a pretty powerful thing to find a diet that easily lets you lose weight, makes you feel better than normal, and keeps you from being hungry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                ^^^This^^^

Once your body adjusts and the hunger cravings are no longer there it is easy to maintain your eating in check. Prior to going on the Keto eating plan, I could eat a pan of food with bread or tortillas just to have cravings an hour afterwards, even with my stomach still filling full.

Comment

Working...
                                X