Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Anyone on a Ketogenic Diet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It has been obvious since the start that you have not been for this life style modification and I respect that. That being said, I think if you did some research on the benefits and success stories you may at least approach it with more of an open mind.
    I think most people making a lifestyle change to try to live healthier not only change their eating habits but also add supplements to their program. Most people understand that supplementation will help them in areas when they may not be able to take in all the body needs on a daily basis. Vitamins, herbs, and minerals can and will help some people not need prescription meds. I don't think it's fair to throw a blanket over this program as if requires more than any other healthy way of living.
    That being said, the only real supplementation needed in the ketogenic diet is your electrolytes. The body needs almost 4 grams of water to carry and metabolize 1 gram of carbohydrate. Obviously, the higher your carb intake the more water that is needed and used by the body. It takes less than a gram of water for the body to metabolize a gram of fat. The reason any person can "loose 7lbs in a week" like a lot of these diets claim is because when you go low carb the body rids itself of all the water no longer needed. When a person is going into ketosis, they are supper low carb and the body sheds a lot of water. This is in turn requires electrolyte supplementation for the body to function properly.
    After the body becomes keto adapted the need for as much supplementation is really not needed as long as a person understands how to get them through their diet. Especially potassium, which is very important for the body.
    Ketosis is a lifestyle change that has helped people ranging from Cancer, Seizures, Arthritis, Diabetes, or just plan weight loss. Is it for everyone? No, but you can tell by reading this thread it has helped a lot of people that have struggled with other plans. Does it take some knowledge to properly perform? Yes, and there can be some side affects if not properly followed.
    Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
    I've been following this thread because I made comments on it early on. I see a lot of comments about needing to supplement while on this diet.

Are there people on this diet that are not having to supplement? They get what they need from basic food and meals within the diet's constraints? It still baffles me that your body somewhat fights against this mode and yet it is considered a good place to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
      I just pulled the biscuits out of the oven from the recipe things are awesome. Reminds me a lot of red lobster biscuits
      They're pretty good right! I'm doing pancakes tomorrow and ordered this relatively keto syrup from amazon https://www.amazon.com/Lakanto-Maple...to+maple+syrup I'll let you know how I feel about it, haven't tried it yet!

Comment

oh and if any of y'all like Thai food...(love that you can have full fat coconut milk on keto by the way) I have a good little concoction for Red Curry chicken too, just made it last night!
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Rack Ranch View Post
          It has been obvious since the start that you have not been for this life style modification and I respect that. That being said, I think if you did some research on the benefits and success stories you may at least approach it with more of an open mind.
          I think most people making a lifestyle change to try to live healthier not only change their eating habits but also add supplements to their program. Most people understand that supplementation will help them in areas when they may not be able to take in all the body needs on a daily basis. Vitamins, herbs, and minerals can and will help some people not need prescription meds. I don't think it's fair to throw a blanket over this program as if requires more than any other healthy way of living.
          That being said, the only real supplementation needed in the ketogenic diet is your electrolytes. The body needs almost 4 grams of water to carry and metabolize 1 gram of carbohydrate. Obviously, the higher your carb intake the more water that is needed and used by the body. It takes less than a gram of water for the body to metabolize a gram of fat. The reason any person can "loose 7lbs in a week" like a lot of these diets claim is because when you go low carb the body rids itself of all the water no longer needed. When a person is going into ketosis, they are supper low carb and the body sheds a lot of water. This is in turn requires electrolyte supplementation for the body to function properly.
          After the body becomes keto adapted the need for as much supplementation is really not needed as long as a person understands how to get them through their diet. Especially potassium, which is very important for the body.
          Ketosis is a lifestyle change that has helped people ranging from Cancer, Seizures, Arthritis, Diabetes, or just plan weight loss. Is it for everyone? No, but you can tell by reading this thread it has helped a lot of people that have struggled with other plans. Does it take some knowledge to properly perform? Yes, and there can be some side affects if not properly followed.
          I actually have read up on it quite a bit... albeit via non commercial literature. I stick around because I am curious. Have not met many who ultimately stick to this diet... but TBH is a much bigger pool to observe rather than just those around me.

I am not a big fan of crash dieting... and I do believe many use keto as a crash diet. Just like I believe people using juicing, non fat diets, as crash diets are hurting themselves long term.

Most of us are exceptions to our new dietary habbits. You stick to it strictly... as I stick to mine strictly.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

Are there any good keto tortillas?

Comment

Originally posted by MIHunter View Post
              I need to know this too. Tortillas are my weakness, and it would be great if there was one out there someone has already tried and proven to be tasty!

Comment

Mission tortillas has a low carb option that only has 4g of net carbs for each tortilla. And they taste pretty good too. Obviously not nearly as good as homemade tortillas but for only 4 carbs they are dang good.

Comment

Originally posted by TxTechBowhunter View Post
                  Mission tortillas has a low carb option that only has 4g of net carbs for each tortilla. And they taste pretty good too. Obviously not nearly as good as homemade tortillas but for only 4 carbs they are dang good.
                  All subjective I guess. I think those taste like cardboard.

My wife has been buying jicama "tortillas" and using them for street tacos. Works for her vegan diet and my keto just fine. They don't have much flavor but at least provide a bit of crunch if you don't overheat them.

Comment

I buy the ones at HEB that are 3 grams net carbs. They are available in both name brand & HEB brand. No they don't taste like homemade tortillas, but we've been using them in our house for at least 2 years.

Comment

We make them out of cheese. Low heat, melt a little butter in pan then sprinkle cheddar in pan about the size of a tortilla. Let it melt slow until it starts to get crispy the flip it over and repeat. Cook until flexible and wrap what you want in it or cook until crispy and make a tostada or quarter it up for chips.

Comment

We make them out of cheese. Low heat, melt a little butter in pan then sprinkle cheddar in pan about the size of a tortilla. Let it melt slow until it starts to get crispy the flip it over and repeat. Cook until flexible and wrap what you want in it or cook until crispy and make a tostada or quarter it up for chips.
                        Cheese tortillas! Oh hail ya!

Comment

I've done the same to make both tacos & enchiladas, except I made them in the oven.

Comment

Been following this. I have lost 22 lbs in 8 weeks. Love these latest recipes. Glad to have some new ideas on what to eat. 20 lbs more to go to meet my goal weight. Hoping to be there by end of September. Nice to lose the weight. Already down 2" on my waist in my jeans. Had Fajitas last night and just had a fajita salad. Next time I am making cheese tortillas!

Comment

How do you determine the number of calories you should be taking in.

I understand the 5% Carbs, 25% Proteins, & 75% Fats, but how do you break those down into calories per group and number of calories per day. I don't want to undershoot calories when I'm not supposed to. Looking to lose a total of 60lbs.

Comment

Just "survived" my Mom's bday dinner at Saltrgrass. Filler Oscar with green beans. Peeled the breading off my asparagus. No beer no wine but no cravings either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X