Boy Scouts: Glad we are almost out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DRT View Post
    Believe me, I'm not calling anyone a homophobe or unChristian like. I just know that these are still just kids. Regardless of gender or lifestyle choices down the road I want them to be able to give back to the community, provide first aid to someone injured, understand and participate in the community process, honor our flag and enjoy the outdoors.
    A scout is; Trustworthy, Loyal, Helpful, Friendly, Cortious, Kind, Obedient, Cheerful, Thrifty, Brave, Clean and Reverent.
    I know it's not an easy thing to come to grips with. And I realize that not everyone can look past the issues and just see the kid that needs the program.

For now, if you find a troop whose charter organization is a church that doesn't want to accept the changes then you can be in a program that doesn't have to.

Gary
    I wasn't saying you where labeling people , just the general consensus with it is if your not accepting of it you have to be one or the other or both. I honestly admire you and your dedication to the kids. I hold nothing against the kids, the boy in the story is only 8, he is a victim and a pawn in something bigger than himself. He needs direction not condemnation.
    God bless you for your efforts brother

Comment

I'm an Eagle Scout; my son is an Eagle Scout. If scouts are willing to work and meet the requirements to advance through the program then, so be it.
      Well isn't that PC.

Comment

What is the same in the world?

It's the easy road to turn our backs, a blind eye and a deaf ear.

I have known a parent or two whose sons turned out to be gay. One couple who was in our troop, had two sons who got their eagle and later both came out of the closet. It's tough on parents to deal with the fact their child is not what they would call ideal. But I cannot reject those kids.

I believe the Christian saying is "love the sinner but hate the sin"? However I think Jesus would say "love the sinner" and leave the rest off. And this isn't about whether they are going to hell or heaven. This is teaching them about being good people. Do y'all really believe that people in the LGBT community can't be good, kind, caring and contributing humans?

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by fox1 View Post
          I haven't seen things from that perspective and while I can see the good in it I can't agree with it.
          Is this not just another case of forcing people to accept as normal something that isn't ?
          I will not accept that I'm a homophobe or unchristian because I reject the entire idea of the transgender agenda. I feel sorry for the kids who are being forced to be the poster child for stuff like this and our youth as a whole will suffer for this.
          Yep....and pretty soon there will be an outcry to stop pledging allegence to the flag, harming fish from fishing, harming trees from camp fires. It won't stop. It's all about the money to the top brass of scouting.

Comment

Sad let boys be men!!! I'm an Eagle Scout, but if this was going on when I was there I would not have participated.

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
              Yep....and pretty soon there will be an outcry to stop pledging allegence to the flag, harming fish from fishing, harming trees from camp fires. It won't stop. It's all about the money to the top brass of scouting.
              Yeah that's not true. Over 50% of the people and money in scouting comes from the Latter Day Saints community. And this could be the straw that breaks the camel's back for their support and involvement is BSA as we know it. This comes from scouting trying to balance avoiding lawsuits yet still have an organization that provides what it has for over a century. It's getting harder for sure.

Gary

Comment

What is the same in the world?

It's the easy road to turn our backs, a blind eye and a deaf ear.

Do y'all really believe that people in the LGBT community can't be good, kind, caring and contributing humans?

Gary
                Nobody is turning a back, a blind eye and a deaf ear. What we ARE tired of is the inexplainable need for SJW to force everyone to their way of thinking, and deriding anyone who disagrees with them as "uncaring" "homophobe", "cruel",etc. There is no reason that any group of people can't start or join a group that adheres to their values. But that's no fun huh? Let's get in the spotlight and try to force our ideals on everyone else. It pizzes me off to no end.
                Nobody here (me anyway) thinks that people in the LGBT community can't be great people and citizens. To suggest otherwise, detracts from the actual point at hand and is inflammatory at best. Otherwise known as trolling.

Comment

Yeah that's not true. Over 50% of the people and money in scouting comes from the Latter Day Saints community. And this could be the straw that breaks the camel's back for their support and involvement is BSA as we know it. This comes from scouting trying to balance avoiding lawsuits yet still have an organization that provides what it has for over a century. It's getting harder for sure.

Gary
                  Go look at the saleries of the top brass. More money coming in for the scouts = more money for them. I understand picking your fights, but increasing more membership means more money.

Comment

I don't like words like homophobe, hater and racist being thrown around loosely either. I also am dang sick of our highest court in the land forcing private organizations to do what they would otherwise choose not to.

I'm just saying I'm for kids in scouting. Believe me there is a lot happening with fund raising and fund distribution as well that chaps my hide.

Gary

Comment

I'm saying if they lose the LDS church they will lose a lot of money fast. How many LGBT youth do you think really want to be in scouting?

It's been a couple years since the last change. You know how many openly gay youth have joined our troop? 0, nada, none.

Gary

Comment

Kids are better off in scouting.

Scouting is different in lots of places, if you try to compare a rural scout troop to an urban scout troop you will find very different experiences, but they both have value.

I will continue to be a leader in my son's troop.

Comment

Scouts is as much about BSA as it is your council and your troop. A good group of boys with good parents that your family can be close with is what matters to me. Not what some troop in Maine, Florida, or Iowa is doing. You choose the people you want your children to grow with and learn from. As parents, we set the values and examine if the troop reflects those values.

Years ago I was interviewing with the Deputy National Security Adviser for a a position on his staff in the West Wing. He started the interview by noting that I was an Eagle Scout. I confirmed that was the case. He replied: "I guess we don't have much to discuss then." We spent the entire interview talking about college football. My qualifications already met the needs of the post, but I got the job out of all the applicants because he estimated I learned how to be a responsible adult from Scouting. Scouting has given me more than most, so I'm not willing to give up on it yet.

Comment

Trail Life USA is the replacement to look at for Boy Scouts.

There are about 90 troops in TX and I'm pretty sure they would be happy to hear from leaders/members of existing BSA troops that want to switch. I've heard of many churches that have sponsored BSA troops switching to Trail Life.

Comment

What really chaps me is the growing federal government intrusion into private organizations.

Gary

Comment

Exactly why I never let either of my sons join. Once politics became involved it was over.

Comment

Working...
                                X