Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

What is the PURPOSE of The Church

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acts 2:42 They devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer. 43 Everyone was filled with awe at the many wonders and signs performed by the apostles. 44 All the believers were together and had everything in common. 45 They sold property and possessions to give to anyone who had need. 46 Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts, 47 praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people. And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved.

Comment

I was raised going to church with my grandma and went to bible school as a kid. After a certain age, it was given to me as a choice as to whether I wanted to go or not. I grew up on a farm and this is not an excuse but there were things that had to get done a lot of times and we didn't make church. I also grew up in a town where there were a lot of holy rollers and turned their noses up to folks that did not attend church regularly. Small town, everyone knew everyone and it just turned in to I'm not going to sit and be friends with a bunch of folks who aren't going to be my friend when I see them tomorrow at Walmart. I believe in God and try to live my life the best I can. So my interpretation of "what is the purpose of the church" may not be backed up by scripture or by a certain religion, but my best "logical" answer since there are so many deviations of beliefs across the world but most all gather at a "church" like structure is:

The purpose of a church is to be a structure whether it be man made or just a chosen location, that serves as a central location that folks of various races and backgrounds but who share similar beliefs to a higher being can gather to worship and discuss their higher being. It can serve as a shelter from the elements so to not disturb the schedule of the meeting and everyone will know they have a place to go. If there were no shelter from the elements, and before there were cellular communication devices, who would know if church was cancelled because of weather or anything else.

That's the best answer I have folks.

Comment

Interesting thread for sure. I have a attended a number of churches in my lifetime. My grandparents introduced me to church and God at a young age as no one else in my life attended or talked about it. About the age of 12, a Nazarene church was built at the end of our road. I started attending on my own and then started taking my younger brothers and sisters with me. Eventually my parents started going with us. I have always felt the call of God in my life. I attended church pretty regular(a few dry spells mixed in) until I was in my early 40s. Since then I havent. I talk to God everyday at least once, I pray often for others and I talk to people about God every time I see an opportunity or a need. Right now, Im totally at peace with my relationship with God even though I dont attend church regularly. Who knows, I may feel a tug in my heart to start attending again.

Comment

As a man of faith, I believe the greatest risk the church faces (generally speaking) is its exclusivity. Just as a hospital is where the sick go to get better, I think the church serves a similar purpose. Unfortunately, we have started ranking sin and have become increasingly judgmental of those who sin differently than we do.

I'm pretty sure none of us qualify to cast the first stone!
          Last edited by Buckley99; 01-23-2017, 06:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckley99 View Post
            As a man of faith, I believe the greatest risk the church faces (generally speaking) is its exclusivity. Just as a hospital is where the sick go to get better, I think the church serves a similar purpose. Unfortunately, we have started ranking sin and have become increasingly judgmental of those who sin differently than we do.

I'm pretty sure none of us qualify to cast the first stone!

Well said, I see the ranking of sin also.

Comment

Well this thread changed the mind set for the the night. I personally feel closer to God watching the sunrise from a blind or from the front of a bass boat. But I attend church semi regular because I know it's my duty to bring my family to God. Wife and daughter. We went to a lot of churches I did not see eye to eye with before we joined a church. That being said I currently am not tithing due to my own choice and lack of knowledge on the church finances.

"We're a hospital for sinners not a temple for saints".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
                My church is the great outdoors. Don't get no holier than that.
                No need to read the other responses....I agree! Raised in the traditional Methodist church then after college went my own way. At least for me I feel no need to attend a Sunday service as I regularly talk to the Lord, both in good and bad times.

I am spiritual, not religious.....at least for me just not my thing for many years now. But, I don't criticize or question what others do or need....live and love life and the rest (some folks included) just don't matter!

Comment

The Church is not a physical place, a synagogue, a cathedral. It is the total body of believers, both living and dead and those not yet born, who have or will someday enter into the Kingdom that God ordained.If you have surrendered your life to Christ, you are part of His Church.

Comment

The purpose is to point others to Christ. These denominations are man made and sometimes get in the way. Just as Shane pointed out, we are to use our spiritual gifts (yes, every believer has at least one of the 19) to edify the church. When the church is built up, the focus is on Christ and salvation takes place. I hear lots of people say that they are closer to God when they are on the golf course, blind, lake, etc. but God calls us to cooperate worship. Sometimes we get confused. We are not there for ourselves, but rather to worship.

People say there are too many hypocrits in church and they are correct. I am one of them but thankfully, God has covered my sin with his forgiving blood. I would rather be in church with a few hypocrites than in hell with a bunch of them!

Comment

Originally posted by RMW View Post
                      Money?
                      I know you aren't a believer and all of this is like santa clause / make believe to you, but without tithing the church cannot do missions, charity, food drives, good works etc...you actually make a good point in the aspect of how the body of Christ works, but it isn't the actual purpose of the church & I suspect you realize this for us with faith.

Kindly asking those who really have no interest in the topic to please refrain from commenting that will derail & only post if it adds value. Thank you.

Comment

Simple. The "Church" is the body of believers. So its purpose is to glorify God.

Comment

I used to go to church every Thursday and Sunday. After I was confirmed I received a letter in the mail saying they expected me to "give" 25% of my pay to the church. I was in " class" with the preachers daughter, and she always had a brand new car, the best of clothes. And I was brought up not poor but not a lot of money by any means. Used ( very used) car, and not so "hip" clothing, Very small house. At that instant I decided I did not need the church to talk to God. I walk my dog every night and talk to him in his " cathedral" (nature) one on one. And I feel much closer to him this way. My saying is "church is for guilty sinners".
                          I know we are all sinners, but I don't try and hurt any one, steal, drink excessively, etc. I know many that go to church and they are truly " bad " people. And the strange thing is after church, they are right back to cheating, stealing, partying, lying, and act like its no big deal. I try to live a guilt free life, and when it comes time to meet HIM, I hope he shakes my hand and says good job. And at this time I feel as though I have.
                          Last edited by critter69; 01-23-2017, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Good discussion!

After a great deal of study and contemplation I've come to the following conclusions. The purpose of the church is two fold and is identical to the purpose of the individual Christian.

1. To share the gospel of Christ through relationship and by meeting the basic needs of people both near and far.

2. Discipleship of believers, meeting the needs of believers within the church and equipping them to share the gospel and/or train others.

Each individual group of believers may approach and achieve this different manners due to a number of variables.

By doing this you glorify God and as Shane put it love God and love others

The question now is how do you rally a dying congregation behind this purpose, united for that cause, while avoiding such pitfalls as false doctrines, losing relevance, and avoiding self serving comfort.

I have experience with AA and NA (the rooms) and sadly I see a better picture of what church is supposed to according to the models depicted in scripture in those rooms than I do in most churches today. People who meet daily basis out of a sense of need rather than requirement and give freely of their time and experience to help "newcomers" and those struggling
                            Last edited by Playa; 01-23-2017, 09:28 PM.

Comment

“Therefore, brothers, since we have confidence to enter the holy places by the blood of Jesus, by the new and living way that he opened for us through the curtain, that is, through his flesh, and since we have a great priest over the house of God, let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, with our hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water. Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for he who promised is faithful. And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near.”
                              **Hebrews‬ *10:19-25‬ *ESV‬‬
                              Bring the beauty and truth of the Bible into everyday life. With the YouVersion Bible App, you can read, watch, listen, and share on your smartphone or tablet, and online at Bible.com.

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
                                Good discussion!

After a great deal of study and contemplation I've come to the following conclusions. The purpose of the church is two fold and is identical to the purpose of the individual Christian.

1. To share the gospel of Christ through relationship and by meeting the basic needs of people both near and far.

2. Discipleship of believers, meeting the needs of believers within the church and equipping them to share the gospel and/or train others.

Each individual group of believers may approach and achieve this different manners due to a number of variables.

By doing this you glorify God and as Shane put it love God and love others

The question now is how do you rally a dying congregation behind this purpose, united for that cause, while avoiding such pitfalls as false doctrines, losing relevance, and avoiding self serving comfort.

Now there's a question! One our church is dealing with. Congregation is literally dying away, in an older part of town, etc., etc. Hope to learn something here.

Comment

Working...
                                X