What is the PURPOSE of The Church

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by txhunter007 View Post
    I used to believe that the purpose of a church is celebrating God, now I feel it is all about the money. I do not go to church anymore because of it. Too many churches are takers and not givers.
    Interesting perspective, and I have a close friend who posed the same thoughts to my wife yesterday, which was the embryotic stage of this entire deep contemplation.

So I will ask you the same questions I'm asking that family, have you reviewed your church's budget to see where they are allocating funds and "giving"? If you did that and felt it was not benefiting the community/world, did you attempt to influence how the church allocated its financial resources?

Comment

Originally posted by sailor View Post
      What makes you think the church is failing?
      Where two or more, are gathered in his name. There, shall my church be...
      Kinda like here.....
      Posting from my phone so difficult to cite evidence, but I would say it is fairly well known accepted that church numbers are shrinking. More important than butts in pews, the number of folks who identify as Christian is dwindling. For instance 60% of Denton County identifies as non Christian/non religions. That's a 20% increase ina shade over a decade. That sound like Victory In Jesus to you?

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
        To bring people and communities together, help with healing and death and deter wrongdoing. That is all that matters to me.

When I asked "What happens to people who through no fault of their own were never exposed to christianity due to location/region or their general upbringing.. but have lived a great and giving life"? and the answer was "they go to hell." that when I start to stray off..
        Originally posted by Playa View Post
        Stay on topic & quit chasing wabbits!

I have an answer for you on that last one, will pm later if I have time
        Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
        Can you please post your answer to the response by Man? I would be interested in hearing it as well.

I hope it is ok to answer... let me just start out with I love this stuff. I am a horrible sinner and since I encountered the grace of God I live to feast on His Word.

I too really struggled with the picture of a merciful God that would allow people to die and go to hell all because of when and where they were born. What I have come to find out is that we get a completely different picture from Scripture on God as it pertains to Grace.

Paul wrote in Romans 1: 20-21of His revelation thru Creation.
        (also a neat teaching here on how God has revealed Himself thru Nature https://www.blueletterbible.org/faq/...tewart_377.cfm)

Then I started do develop a "Romans 5 Theology"

The gift is not like the offense !

Study Romans 5:12-21...it is a great treatise on the Grace of God and an encouragement for us when we have compassion for those that have not for whatever reason had the opportunity to encounter Jesus thru missional evangelism.

Great thread Playa! When I get a chance I try and put into text what His Church is to me.

God Bless

Comment

What is the PURPOSE of The Church

Originally posted by sailor View Post
          What makes you think the church is failing?

Where two or more, are gathered in his name. There, shall my church be...

Kinda like here.....

Matthew 18:19-20 (NASB)
          19 "Again I say to you, that if two of you agree on earth about anything that they may ask, it shall be done for them by My Father who is in heaven. 20 For where two or three have gathered together in My name, I am there in their midst.”

Comment

Originally posted by Death from Above View Post
            I hope it is ok to answer... let me just start out with I love this stuff. I am a horrible sinner and since I encountered the grace of God I live to feast on His Word.

I too really struggled with the picture of a merciful God that would allow people to die and go to hell all because of when and where they were born. What I have come to find out is that we get a completely different picture from Scripture on God as it pertains to Grace.

Paul wrote in Romans 1: 20-21of His revelation thru Creation.
            (also a neat teaching here on how God has revealed Himself thru Nature https://www.blueletterbible.org/faq/...tewart_377.cfm)

Then I started do develop a "Romans 5 Theology"

The gift is not like the offense !

Study Romans 5:12-21...it is a great treatise on the Grace of God and an encouragement for us when we have compassion for those that have not for whatever reason had the opportunity to encounter Jesus thru missional evangelism.

Great thread Playa! When I get a chance I try and put into text what His Church is to me.

God Bless
            Theology by creation and or revelation is what I was going to answer with also.

Comment

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
              Matthew 18:19-20 (NASB)
              19 "Again I say to you, that if two of you agree on earth about anything that they may ask, it shall be done for them by My Father who is in heaven. 20 For where two or three have gathered together in My name, I am there in their midst.”
              I think Matthew 18 is dealing with Church Discipline and the steps on biblical reconciliation.

I can have church and be the church by myself because of His Spirit that resides in me...but I do see how that understanding is related to the universal church.

Actually James teaches that it is the effectual prayer of the righteous (those under the blood) that avails much, there is no mention of how many need be praying. I find it very encouraging that we can set and pray and know that if we are inline with His will he will hear our prayer and "heal our land"....man God is good!

Comment

Theology by creation and or revelation is what I was going to answer with also.
                It lends credence to how many of us as outdoors men and women feel close to God when enjoying His Creation. I know that seeing an October Sunrise gives me goosebumps and a fascination with God and His Creation...just as He intended.

Now to be that church you asked about in your OP, we cant let it stop in a deer stand

Comment

Posting from my phone so difficult to cite evidence, but I would say it is fairly well known accepted that church numbers are shrinking. More important than butts in pews, the number of folks who identify as Christian is dwindling. For instance 60% of Denton County identifies as non Christian/non religions. That's a 20% increase ina shade over a decade. That sound like Victory In Jesus to you?
                  Not necessarily victory. But I do believe it is His plan being following according to His will. Who knows when the end is. Could be tomorrow, could be 1000 years from now but I believe it will get worse before Jesus returns. In the meantime think of the souls that can be saved between now and then. The field is ripe.

2 Timothy 3:1-5

1This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.

2For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,

3Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,

4Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;

5Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.

Comment

Hebrews 10:25King James Version (KJV)
                    25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

I feel the purpose of the church is to help get people ready for the rapture of the church in order to live and reign with "Him" forever and ever.

Comment

Money?

Comment

Pushbutton2 above nailed it. I think a lot of churches are struggling because its very hard to keep most peoples attention for more than 3 minutes, we live in a right now just for me world and so many believers are pulled off to the churches that provide for their self esteem instead of following the instructions Jesus left us.

There are also a LOT of people who have replaced God with something else, like the outdoors, golf, money, fame, etc etc. Anytime something is more important that worshiping God, you have a new God. I'm pretty sure there is a commandment about that.

<edit> I have also sat in a stand or been out fishing and taken a moment, sometimes long moments to worship him and the incredible creation he has given to us.

The Great Commission.

Matthew 28:16-20New International Version (NIV)

The Great Commission

16 Then the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain where Jesus had told them to go. 17 When they saw him, they worshiped him; but some doubted. 18 Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”
                        Last edited by flatlander; 01-23-2017, 12:48 PM.

Comment

There's no simple answer to that question. There are many purposes of the church: sharing the Gospel, encouraging believers, comforting those that mourn, helping the needy, worshipping the Lord, and on and on....

The church is the body of Christ. There are many parts of any body, and each part has a different job or purpose. All work together to give life to the body, and the overall purpose(s) of the body are accomplished only when all the parts work together as they are designed and intended to do.

1 Corinthians 12 & 13

12 Now about the gifts of the Spirit, brothers and sisters, I do not want you to be uninformed. 2 You know that when you were pagans, somehow or other you were influenced and led astray to mute idols. 3 Therefore I want you to know that no one who is speaking by the Spirit of God says, “Jesus be cursed,” and no one can say, “Jesus is Lord,” except by the Holy Spirit.

4 There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit distributes them. 5 There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord. 6 There are different kinds of working, but in all of them and in everyone it is the same God at work.

7 Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. 8 To one there is given through the Spirit a message of wisdom, to another a message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit, 9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit, 10 to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues,[a] and to still another the interpretation of tongues.[b] 11 All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he distributes them to each one, just as he determines.

Unity and Diversity in the Body
                          12 Just as a body, though one, has many parts, but all its many parts form one body, so it is with Christ. 13 For we were all baptized by[c] one Spirit so as to form one body—whether Jews or Gentiles, slave or free—and we were all given the one Spirit to drink. 14 Even so the body is not made up of one part but of many.

15 Now if the foot should say, “Because I am not a hand, I do not belong to the body,” it would not for that reason stop being part of the body. 16 And if the ear should say, “Because I am not an eye, I do not belong to the body,” it would not for that reason stop being part of the body. 17 If the whole body were an eye, where would the sense of hearing be? If the whole body were an ear, where would the sense of smell be? 18 But in fact God has placed the parts in the body, every one of them, just as he wanted them to be. 19 If they were all one part, where would the body be? 20 As it is, there are many parts, but one body.

21 The eye cannot say to the hand, “I don’t need you!” And the head cannot say to the feet, “I don’t need you!” 22 On the contrary, those parts of the body that seem to be weaker are indispensable, 23 and the parts that we think are less honorable we treat with special honor. And the parts that are unpresentable are treated with special modesty, 24 while our presentable parts need no special treatment. But God has put the body together, giving greater honor to the parts that lacked it, 25 so that there should be no division in the body, but that its parts should have equal concern for each other. 26 If one part suffers, every part suffers with it; if one part is honored, every part rejoices with it.

27 Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it. 28 And God has placed in the church first of all apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healing, of helping, of guidance, and of different kinds of tongues. 29 Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles? 30 Do all have gifts of healing? Do all speak in tongues[d]? Do all interpret? 31 Now eagerly desire the greater gifts.

Love Is Indispensable
                          And yet I will show you the most excellent way.

13 If I speak in the tongues[a] of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast,[b] but do not have love, I gain nothing.

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. 11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. 12 For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

So if the church is Jesus' body, then the church's purpose is to be Jesus' hands, feet, and voice in the world. Jesus does many things, but He does everything for a purpose. He wants us all to find salvation through Him and spend eternity in Heaven with the Father. He does all of that because He loves us. So, we could sum it up and say that the church's purpose is to love God and love other people.

Matthew 22:36 “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”

37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

Comment

Hey Shane... was getting worried, if we made 30 post without a sighting was gonna have to send out a party to check on ya !

Great Word!

Comment

Interesting perspective, and I have a close friend who posed the same thoughts to my wife yesterday, which was the embryotic stage of this entire deep contemplation.

So I will ask you the same questions I'm asking that family, have you reviewed your church's budget to see where they are allocating funds and "giving"? If you did that and felt it was not benefiting the community/world, did you attempt to influence how the church allocated its financial resources?
                              They were allocating it to a bidding war with Kroger's over some property for a new church. The final straw was a sermon dedicated not to God or Jesus, but to how important it is to give to the church. I stopped going and instead of a "Hey we havent seen you lately" note I got a "You havent been to church here is your three donation envelopes" note. That was one church. I personally have many more examples of horrible financial abuses by churches or pastors.

Comment

Some great thoughts in this thread!
                                We are in the "Church Age" now. It began when Jesus charged his disciples to go and spread the gospel (Good News) to all nations and teach the nations "ALL" He had commanded them. That is found in Matthew 28:16-20 (NIV)
                                at 28:16 Then the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain where Jesus had told them to go.
                                Mat 28:17 When they saw him, they worshiped him; but some doubted.
                                Mat 28:18 Then Jesus came to them and said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.
                                Mat 28:19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,
                                Mat 28:20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

The Church Age will end at Christ's second coming. We who are believers (the church-has nothing to do with a physical building) are charged with the same Great Commission as the 11 remaining disciples... We are tasked to take this Gospel of Jesus Christ and His Salvation to all nations. If you claim to be a Christian and remain on the earth without any evidence of effort to bring those who do not know Christ to His Salvation, you in factt are likely NOT part of the church. Only you and Christ knows for sure. He will know you by what is in your heart. We can fool each other into believing one way or the other, but we cannot hide the contents of our heart from Christ. We are speeding toward His coming and once that happens, it will be too late to accept Him and His Salvation for yourself... No different than our ability to accept Him while we are alive on this earth, but once we are no longer on the green side of the grass, no one can "pray" us into heaven on our behalf...

Comment

Working...
                                X