No announcement yet.

Official 2017 surf fishing thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Id be in for that! I prolly won't start hitting the surf till March. But I could be anywhere from Freeport to PINS! But I'm going to spend more time on Matagorda this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Poco View Post
      Attaboy amigos for getting a new thread going. Last years thread was a hit. Lots of pics and info got posted.

I'll be making the first shark trip down PINS this Saturday. Gonna target Sandbar sharks running fresh cut bait. I also plan on running a deep big bait or two targeting a mako. I will keep yall posted on the outcome.

Ray

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Stay safe if you go out, the weather man is calling for high winds on Sunday starting around 7 am around 20 mph and increasing to 30mph in a few hours. But this is the weather man so you know how he could be wrong as well. Good luck, stay safe.

Comment

Originally posted by Nado View Post
        Stay safe if you go out, the weather man is calling for high winds on Sunday starting around 7 am around 20 mph and increasing to 30mph in a few hours. But this is the weather man so you know how he could be wrong as well. Good luck, stay safe.
        Thank you. That's the reason we are only making a day trip on Saturday.

Ray

Comment

Originally posted by Poco View Post
          Thank you. That's the reason we are only making a day trip on Saturday.

Ray
          Any updates there Ray

Comment

Originally posted by Hunt life View Post
            Any updates there Ray
            He probably won't have any service out there. But I'm in for a report I'm sure it'll be good.

Comment

I can't wait to get down there.....starting my shark rack build shortly!

Comment

Originally posted by killerbee View Post
                I can't wait to get down there.....starting my shark rack build shortly!
                Sweet! Keep us posted on progress I built one last year but plan on doing some modification to it.

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
                  Sweet! Keep us posted on progress I built one last year but plan on doing some modification to it.
                  Sure will, I am pumped. Running an avet 80w with a 80 to 130lb 8ft barrett rod. Braid and bull buster mono. I also have a couple of 6/0 on 8ft ugly stiks for the smaller stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by killerbee View Post
                    Sure will, I am pumped. Running an avet 80w with a 80 to 130lb 8ft barrett rod. Braid and bull buster mono. I also have a couple of 6/0 on 8ft ugly stiks for the smaller stuff.
                    Sounds like a solid setup! I'm running a whole line of senators from a 2/0-16/0.

Comment

Here it is boys. We had a pretty good trip hooking up 3 for 3 on sharks.

Well our first shark trip for the year was good. Not great but a good way to start the year. Me, my wife Melinda, my youngest daughter Andrea and my good friend and now righthand surf fishing mate Brandon (Breezy) headed for PINS yesterday. Our goal was to find a sandbar shark or two and also run a big bait for a chance at a mako if we got really lucky. We hit the beach at daybreak and it was foggy bad. It didn't clear up till around 9:30. We didn't catch a mako or a sandbar but we did land three other shark species. I landed a 5'7" blacktip with a huge 37" girth. She was super fat. Brandon landed a 4' finetooth which was pretty cool. Thanks to Oz for identifying it for me. I hadn't personally seen one in years. And last my daughter Andrea caught her PB shark which was a 3.5' sharpnose. She did great reeling it in from about 300 yards. Overall a fun day with family and good friend. We hope to keep it up the rest of the year.

Note: please be careful driving the beach. I bet we saw over 30 deer yesterday while driving on and off. With everything dead out there due to the freeze they are on the beach looking for food. The whole length of the beach is covered in deer tracks. Ive never seen anything like it before.

Ray

Comment

Comment

I know nothing, and I mean nothing about surf fishing but I want to give it a try this year. Any good source of info on the interwebs?

I like to fish just never done much saltwater fishing.

Comment

Originally posted by StrayDog View Post
                            I know nothing, and I mean nothing about surf fishing but I want to give it a try this year. Any good source of info on the interwebs?

I like to fish just never done much saltwater fishing.
                            Lots of good info here! Take a look at the official surf fishing thread from last year.

Comment

Keep up the good work guys and gals hopefully BLACKFINTURKEY and i will get to make a quick trip down there next month anybody that's wants to join let us know.

Comment

I'm getting pumped up already! Just spooled my 4/0 wide with 80lb braid! Come on spring!

Comment

Working...
                                X