Poison Ivy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stixx View Post
    And while I have read about that, I have became infected less as I have gotten older. Or maybe I have became wiser and dodge it more subconsciously.
    I'm the same way. I used to get it so bad that I was essentially bed ridden, but in a cold bath. Every time I went into the woods up until about age 16 or so I'd get poison ivy. Not sure if I have gotten immune or just more cautious of what I touch now, but I haven't had it in many years. I'll spot it 10-20 feet away sometimes without even trying to look for it. You ain't ever itched until you've had poison ivy all over your junk...

Lots of people say that you can't spread poison ivy from an existing rash, and that you must be touching something with oils still on it. I call BS on that because I've got it on my forearm near my elbow, two days later I'd have it on my bicep exactly where my infected forearm can touch/come in contact.
    Last edited by Patton; 12-13-2016, 11:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
      Immunity systems are different for different people. Some have high immunity to it. Some have lower. I also know that the more you are exposed to it, the more likely you will have outbreaks from it. And the worse it will become over time. It is something that is built up in the bloodstream.
      I had never had it my entire life till I was just past 40. I used to pick it, roll in it, ect, all my life till I finally came down with it on my head and hands. That's when my Dr gave me an education on it and how it affects the body. The body also remembers where it was affected last, or the first time. Once your immune system gets low enough to where you have an outbreak, your body remembers that location. And if your exposed in a different area of the body, the body sometimes reacts like it was exposed in the original location, complete with breaking out in that original location, while the new location may or may not break out.

For those who seem to never get it, your day may very well come. Just saying.
      I agree.
      Never had a problem with it till I got it in my mid 20s.
      After that episode it seems I get it at least once a year.

Comment

Technu. Get it from wally world and follow directions.

Comment

Can't help much now. Technu is what I used to use.

Best thing is to prevent it in the first place.
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oyoDRHpQK0

Comment

Use your wife's hair dryer set on the hottest setting. Make sure that you are leaning against something because it will feel GOOD!!!!! It will feel like you are scratching it from the inside. The itching will stop for about four hours at a time. Try it and you will never scratch poison ivy again! It feels that good!! I got weird looks when my coworkers heard a hair dryer running in my office at lunch, but hey, whatever works.....

Comment

Texas Tracker is 150% right. I got it one time from the apartment complex burning brush. Used Zanfel was gone in a week, no itching after 1 day. Also Felsnappa (sp?) soap very good. I feel for you brother. Would rather sit on a fire ant pile naked than go through that again.

Comment

Originally posted by .270 View Post
                Wondering if there is a poison ivy residue somewhere and you keep giving it back to yourself?? Bed sheets, other clothes?
                My watch kept giving it back to me on my wrist.

Comment

Originally posted by Budman68 View Post
                  The problem most people have is the oil keeps producing out of the wound and they keep touching it. Wear long sleeves, keep scrubbing with dawn until it's gone, and wash those sheet everyday. The stuff is nasty for sure, but you will be good by Christmas.
                  From what I understand is once the initial oil is rinsed off, the blisters are not contagious. I used to itch it until it bled and then scab over. I went about 15 years without getting it and this past spring I had to move a tree stand that had poison ivy on it. Washed everything when i could and still came down with it. The deer sure like it though.

Comment

I've had it pretty bad before. Blue Emu seems to help me with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Grulla View Post
                      Run your arms under hot hot water and scrub it with soap .. Trust me ..

I usually scrub firmly with finger tips and wash afterwards. Follow that with an alcohol or clorox swabbing to help dry out the lesions. The alcohol is a bit rough as you may guess, but in a week or ten days you won't know the difference.

Comment

I get it bad every year in kansas. Last year had to get shot. Dr. gave me enough pills and creme for this year. As soon as I see I have it I start taking benadryl, wipe down with clorox wipes and eat oatmeal. I'm 47 and can't remember a year I didn't get it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Got a solumedrol shot last night. Dr. told me to take pepcid OTC for H1 blocker effects, and benadryl (obviously) for H2 blocker. Rub with clear calamine every 2 hrs. I feel a whole lot better today. But its still there.

Comment

I'm itching just reading this... Technu is what I use , but hot water works too.

Comment

benadryl and apply ivy dry after a shower at least twice a day.

Comment

Originally posted by Grulla View Post
                                Run your arms under hot hot water and scrub it with soap .. Trust me ..

I like to scratch the crap out of it while doing this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X