Poison Ivy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
    Immunity systems are different for different people. Some have high immunity to it. Some have lower. I also know that the more you are exposed to it, the more likely you will have outbreaks from it. And the worse it will become over time. It is something that is built up in the bloodstream.
    I had never had it my entire life till I was just past 40. I used to pick it, roll in it, ect, all my life till I finally came down with it on my head and hands. That's when my Dr gave me an education on it and how it affects the body. The body also remembers where it was affected last, or the first time. Once your immune system gets low enough to where you have an outbreak, your body remembers that location. And if your exposed in a different area of the body, the body sometimes reacts like it was exposed in the original location, complete with breaking out in that original location, while the new location may or may not break out.

For those who seem to never get it, your day may very well come. Just saying.
    And while I have read about that, I have became infected less as I have gotten older. Or maybe I have became wiser and dodge it more subconsciously.

Comment

Immunity systems are different for different people. Some have high immunity to it. Some have lower. I also know that the more you are exposed to it, the more likely you will have outbreaks from it. And the worse it will become over time. It is something that is built up in the bloodstream.
      I had never had it my entire life till I was just past 40. I used to pick it, roll in it, ect, all my life till I finally came down with it on my head and hands. That's when my Dr gave me an education on it and how it affects the body. The body also remembers where it was affected last, or the first time. Once your immune system gets low enough to where you have an outbreak, your body remembers that location. And if your exposed in a different area of the body, the body sometimes reacts like it was exposed in the original location, complete with breaking out in that original location, while the new location may or may not break out.

For those who seem to never get it, your day may very well come. Just saying.
      I think you said it best when you said Immunity systems are different for different people. The rest I have my doubts about because I get it every year in the spring and never again the rest of the year. In fact I will actually try and get in it just a little so I don't get it bad and then I don't have to worry about until next spring. I've been this way for 38 years. I've never had it twice in one year yet I've been in it several times a year every year. Most of the time I don't need to get a shot as I've only had to get a shot 4 times in the 38 years I've been getting it. This is with both poison oak and poison ivy.

I'm sorry I have no home remedy for you as nothing really seams to help me so I usually just let it run it's course. Since you still have it and have run out on your prescription, I would go back to the doctor or you could end up will a full blown case of it again and they can also tell if you might be having a allergic reaction. I have a buddy that gets it really bad and he had it about wiped out with the prescription he got but he ran out and figured it would just go away. The poison oak ended up as bad or worse then he had it before, he ended up going back to see the doctor.

Comment

Get another shot. I've had to have more than one before as I'm extremely allergic.

Comment

As I was saying, and you can take it for what ever you think it's worth. But that is the way it was explained to me by an MD. Your immunity wears down over time. And continues to wear down all your life the more you expose your self to it. Your immunity dose not build up to it. It is reduced every time you are exposed to it. Kinda like some poisons, hence the name. If you have any doubts, you should check with your MD on how it affects the body. That's how I found out this info. And what I like about the one I went to see. He takes the time to explain things. Not just give a shot and meds, and turn you loose. A good MD will do that. But it's up to you to listen and learn. Just say-n.

Comment

As I was saying, and you can take it for what ever you think it's worth. But that is the way it was explained to me by an MD. Your immunity wears down over time. And continues to wear down all your life the more you expose your self to it. Your immunity dose not build up to it. It is reduced every time you are exposed to it. Kinda like some poisons, hence the name. If you have any doubts, you should check with your MD on how it affects the body. That's how I found out this info. And what I like about the one I went to see. He takes the time to explain things. Not just give a shot and meds, and turn you loose. A good MD will do that. But it's up to you to listen and learn. Just say-n.
            Ive never heard this. When i was younger id end up in bed with the stuff. Now i just get smaller patches here and there. I work on a linecrew so im exposed to it daily sometimes. So in my experience i have built up a tolerance to it somewhat. I still get it just not near as severe.

Comment

Originally posted by the-butcher View Post
              Ive never heard this. When i was younger id end up in bed with the stuff. Now i just get smaller patches here and there. I work on a linecrew so im exposed to it daily sometimes. So in my experience i have built up a tolerance to it somewhat. I still get it just not near as severe.

Same here... **** near killed me when I was younger after breathing in a bunch of poison ivy smoke and playing in it before my aunt burned it.

I have always been highly allergic, but now don't seem to get it near as bad anymore.

But then again, that's why they use the term "2nd opinion" when discussing MD's!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I got tore up with it a couple of times-clearing brush from behind the house. What worked for me and gave me relief was using toothpaste. I cant remember which brand I used...sorry. It had the crystals in it which helped scrubbing. And it was a mint flavor which cooled and gave relief.

Add some washing with Dawn soap and it was gone within a couple days.

Comment

The problem most people have is the oil keeps producing out of the wound and they keep touching it. Wear long sleeves, keep scrubbing with dawn until it's gone, and wash those sheet everyday. The stuff is nasty for sure, but you will be good by Christmas.

Comment

My dad gets it pretty bad and does the dish soap. When he was younger he could sleep in it and not get a rash. Im the same way i can sleep, swim, roll, stand on my head in it and dont get a rash lol

Comment

I used to get it several times a year as a kid. Not so much now, maybe once every other year. I don't think I have built up an immunity to it, as much as I am more cautious now. I saw a video a few years ago where the guy referred to poison ivy oil using fifth wheel grease. He washed the area 3 times with dish soap and water using a wash cloth. I always make sure to come in and shower after I think I have came in contact with the stuff now. Sorry I don't have any advice on home remedies, I've tried just about everything anyone will tell you. The zanfel recommended above did not work for me, but might for you. I had some stuff called oak and ivy that worked pretty good, but haven't been able to find it in a couple years. That always happens to stuff that works. Hope you feel better soon!

Comment

Originally posted by JGreen31 View Post
                        Same here... **** near killed me when I was younger after breathing in a bunch of poison ivy smoke and playing in it before my aunt burned it.

I have always been highly allergic, but now don't seem to get it near as bad anymore.

But then again, that's why they use the term "2nd opinion" when discussing MD's!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Same for me, had the stuff all the time until I was about 16. Then just small spots until about 30 or so. Can't remember the last time I had any outbreak.
                        Last two years I've been clearing property we bought so I know I've been exposed.
                        To the OP I feel your pain.

Comment

I just don't know why everbody hates me so....

Comment

I've had good luck using bleach on poison ivy. Burns like the dickens but takes the itch away and eventually the rash as well.

Comment

I get the exact same reaction from oleander. Shots and anything else the dermatologist could throw at me.

Comment

I used to bowhunt the river bottoms in east Texas and would always end up with poison ivy resulting in a trip to the doctor. Began carrying a 5 gallon water container and Technu in my truck every time I went bowhunting. As soon as I got back to the truck I would wish my hands, face and other exposed skin several times with Technu to remove the poison ivy oils. This works for me. At the slightest indication of skin irritation I'd scrub the area with Technu again. You have to remove the oils as soon as possible to avoid the rash.

One other bit of advice, don't touch yourself when peeing!

Comment

Working...
                                X