Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

your weirdest encounter while in the stand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was bowhunting on the ground in Lavaca county a last year. I was sitting on the ground in a makeshift blind. I had setup about 1pm in the afternoon and as the sun finally started to set behind the trees in front of me I could hear something walking through the brush behind me.
    My heart starts racing and I knew I would not be able to turn around for fear of spooking whatever was coming. It took about 5 minutes but the sound was finally right over my left shoulder. I was freaked out because I had absolutely no idea what was behind me or if I was in any danger of being mauled by a bobcat, a coyote, or kidnapped by bigfoot.

I finally caught movement out of the corner of my left eye.

A fox had come up behind me and he walked past me less than a foot from my left hip. He walked by, without missing a beat, proceeded to head out to the feeder and eat corn in front of me. I watched him for the next 15-20 minutes and he headed out right before shooting light ended.

Comment

I walked about 400 yards into the brush on a bow hunt. Set out 2 corn piles then back tracked to a tree and set up my stand about 12 feet up. A mountain lion tracked my scent to both corn piles then walked to within about 10 feet of my tree. He stared at me for what felt like an eternity but was about 2 minutes. I was at ready but not full draw when he turned walked about 40 yards and jump on a limb about 2 feet higher then the one I was on....I wasn't as safe as I thought I was! After about 10 minutes of staring at me he just rolled of the limb and walked off. I don't care what the law says I'm packing now on my bow hunts.

Comment

My heater was out of propane !!!

Actually, one morning I limbed up into a ten foot tower blind and after daylight noticed I had three ringtail kittens in the blind with me. It made for an interesting rodeo.

Comment

Was sitting on a tripod in Kinney County on a dry creek bed that was within 150 yds of the property boundary/ fence line.

Pickup pulls up and stops directly across the fence. Obese lady in full camo steps out of cab, walks up to fence line into an oak mott hidden from the pickup but in plain view of my tripod-and drops her trousers and a deuce!

You cannot un-see something like that.
          Last edited by Pineywoods Paul; 11-14-2017, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoods Paul View Post
            Was sitting on a tripod in Kinney County on a dry creek bed that was within 150 yds of the property boundary/ fence line.

Pickup pulls up and stops directly across the fence. Obese lady in full camo steps out of cab, walks up to fence line into an oak mott hidden from the pickup but in plain view of my tripod-and drops her trousers and a deuce!

I am dying over here! I don't think I could have held it in, would have had to let a big whoop out about time she squatted down.

Comment

Watching a puma come through after dark. Didn't eat any corn, but sure sniffed to see what had been there.

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoods Paul View Post

I’d been hard pressed not to have fired a shot in the opposite direction just to help her along with the “movement”. Then laughed like crazy!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Have had a few odd things happen over the years. One of the events that made me laugh the hardest, was a time many years ago. My best friend and I were spring turkey hunting on a small place outside of Encino. We were all cammoed up, we set up at the base of a big oak tree, him on one side, me on the other.

I was working two calls, I find that works great, sounds like more than one hen. I will work both sides of a box call, which each side has a different tone. So with two box calls, you can really get a tom excited. But I was calling, I heard a tom a mile or so away answering. He started getting closer. Eventually got to around 600 yards, then 300 yards. Then about 150 yards, and he would not come any closer for some odd reason. We were in heavy oak brush, so I was confused, why he would not come closer. Then I thought I heard something, to my left, then eventually I saw movement. I had not heard the tom in a while and decided he must have stop answering and decided to circle us. I have had that happen before, the **** things will get 20 to 30 yards behind you, then blast you with a loud gobble, scares the crap out of me every time. So I am thinking the tom is off to my left, when he had been coming in from my right. I stayed frozen, did not move my head, just tried to look left with my eyes. Eventually, I saw what was sneaking in, it was two guys stalking the turkey they had been hearing.

We did not realize we had set up close to the fence line, my buddy had only had the place a short time and had not really got out and walked the place. It turns out we had set up close to the fence line, then two guys on the other side of the fence, were closing in on a turkey they were hearing or what they thought was a turkey. I motioned to my buddy, the direction the two guys were coming in from. They were pretty much coming straight at us. We sat there very still for quite a ways, when they got in pretty close, we busted up laughing. They were hunkered over walking very slowly, stalking the turkey one moment, then the next we busted up laughing. Under those oaks, the sound was pretty loud. They stopped dead in their tracks, stood upright, looked around eventually saw us. Then turned around and walked off, like nothing had ever happened. We got a good laugh out of that one for a while. When I saw them, I knew why the turkey quit responding to my calls.

Comment

Saw a badger pull a rabbit out of a cactus then take it to the middle of the sendero and eat every part of it. Rolled around in the dirt after I guess to clean up. Ate every hair, bone and gut with nothing left.

Saw a Jake turkey hump a large round cow patty. Kicked myself for not having my camera both times.

Comment

Place: Laguna Atascosa NWR

I have a few myself but a good one that comes to mind is one that happened at Laguna Atascosa NWR. I went to my truck to get a bite to eat close to noon time, and another hunter was already at his truck eating. We were parked off of the FM road across from some private land. While we were talking, I see an old guy on that private land come out walk across a corral where they had some ostrich's, one of the ostriches runs over to the old guy and starts pecking at him and we both stopped talking and are just watching the whole thing wondering What the .....? The old man and the ostrich are fighting and the old man all of a sudden puts in a lucky swing and gives the ostrich like a right hook and that ostrich just staggered backwards but never fell, it kind of just stood there for a few seconds kind of dazed. We could here the old man cussing and swearing at the bird and he immediately went over and pick up a big stick or a pipe of some sort. The ostrich didn't want nothing to do with that stick. The old man continued across the corral cussing and telling that bird off. At that point we were both laughing our heads off.

Comment

I was sitting in my box blind with my son one morning. Heard something in the grass in front of the blind. We looked down and saw a green grass snake stick his head about 6 inches above the top of the grass and look around. It did this multiple times. Then we heard as the snake took off out of the grass away from us chasing a bullfrog. He chased that frog for about 30 yards and caught it right before the frog got into a big water puddle.
                        And it has always amazed me how an owl makes no noise as it flies. Numerous times them scaring me as they flew next to the tree I was in and I never heard them coming from behind.

Comment

Camping out in Wood county with some family when we cooked a big pot of chili one night. Went out for #2 in the middle of the night and must have got turned around because I quickly lost camp. The chili butt was killing me and I stumbled around all night crapping myself and shedding layers to wipe my rear. It was freezing cold that night and I saw a box blind as the sun rose and ran right to it in my birthday suit to try and warm up. Opened the door and some guy was in there, shocked none the less, pointing a 30-06 at me. Ended up finding my way back to camp that day ready to go home. On the way back home, through Kinney County, my aunt got hit with the chili butt and had to pull over and take a deuce behind an Oak mott. Nobody was around but it looked like a great deer hunting spot.

Comment

Awesome very cleaver!

Comment

crazy squirrel

Father and I were in a box stand many years back watching a pipeline in two directions. The stand was all wood and about 5 feet off the ground. As we sat, a squirrel making all kinds of noise appeared on the other side of the pipeline about 20 yards from us. Barking, squealing and having a ball, at first he was entertaining, it soon turned to annoying. My father turned to me and said I wish the Dam thing would shut up. Few seconds later the barking squirrel crosses the pipelined right towards our stand. He gets to our stand, and you can hear his claws as he is climbing up the legs. My father stands up to look out the front window, whispering to me that f’n thing is coming up here. I couldn't resist and reached over and pinched my father on the butt. Keep in mind, at that moment my Father was sure were being invaded by a crazy squirrel. He screamed and jump sky high, nearly knocking the roof off the stand.

We saw no deer that day, mainly because very few minutes I would look his way and break into laughter. Never did see that squirrel again.

Comment

Not a hunting story but an outdoor story. My family had gone to Montana on vacation. It was August and it was around 45 degrees. We were staying at a ski resort, but the snow hadn't fallen yet. The first morning I woke up before daylight and couldn't sleep. I decided to go for a run (I was training for a triathlon). As I was walking out of the lobby the guy at the front desk looks at me puzzled and asks what I am doing. I tell him that I am going for a run down one of the trails behind the resort. He says oh no, I can't let you do that, there are bears out there at this time of the morning. I say ok and wait until its daylight and head out. I had my ear buds on and hoodie up and was getting after it. In the back of my mind I was still thinking about what the guy at the front desk said about bears. At the next corner in the trail it started going up hill. I leaned into it and put my head down to gain momentum. Right as I looked up to see where I was headed, I came face to face with about a 7 foot grizzly bear wooden statue. I'm not gonna lie, I screamed like a girl. I just about fell off the mountain trying to get away from it. Once I realized that it wasn't real I just started laughing.
                                Last edited by Triple 7; 11-15-2017, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X