Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

your weirdest encounter while in the stand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ferrellv View Post
    As I was reading this I was thinking to myself what guy goes tanning in a bikini at his lease than I saw your avatar and was like. Ahhhh I see now. Thanks for a laugh.
    I was confused at first too.

Comment

I’ve been known to eat a payday or two in the tree or tripod. If you’ve ever eaten one, you know that it’s practically impossible to open the wrapper without a few peanuts falling out in your lap or on the ground. Anyway, this summer, I had done just that and had a big ole coon come up the tripod ladder and practically into my lap. I was able to use my legs and boots to keep him off me, but that dude wanted some of what I had. Haha

Skinny

Comment

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
        Had an owl land on the window ledge about 2 ft from my face, scared the **** out of both of us.
        Had TWO owls come in after daylight a few weeks ago - first one went up high over my tree & about 30 sec later the second came down in my clearing and soared in towards then under my stand and past. All I can think is they zeroed in on me and wanted to have a look. Suckers are yuuuuge.

Comment

On one of my first hog hunts in summer at my property, hadn't seen anything so was just watching every animal that had learned to come eat at the feeder. Ended up shooting a big fat rabbit, skinned n gutted him. Got an idea and put the guts n all inbetween the stand and the feeder. Soon as it gets dark out, hear a bunch of pigs coming. I'm gettig pretty pumped, first time I'd actually seen them. they stop and are sniffing the place out. One runs out, snags the rabbit guts and hide, and runs back into the brush. Spent 30 minutes listening to those hogs fight over the guts, and was pretty weird listening to them crunch on the skull left in the hide. They sure didnt leave anything but stayed in the brush the whole night.

Comment

Had a black bear walk right up to my 6'tower blind. I was young and didn't know what to do. Stuck my head out shooed him away lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Porcupine

Had a porcupine climb a tree right next to me while I was sitting the blind this past Friday. It was pretty cool to watch how far out on the cedar limb he could go to get those purple berries. Then he just sat there staring at me for a while. Looked like the Gopher from Caddyshsck!
              Attached Files

Comment

Hunting in a tree stand I had a squirrel climb up the back side and come around about a foot from my face. Saw me and ran up the tree barking, but I never moved. He kept getting pine cones and dropping them on me trying to make me move but I never did until he peed down the tree.

Another hunt I had a bobcat chase a squirrel up the tree next to me. Squirrel went way out on a thin branch and jumped to another tree. Bobcat tried to make the jump but couldn't hold on and fell 30'. He landed on his feet only slightly dazed from the fall.

Last year I watched an owl a few trees away catching birds. Every time he returned to the same limb he was perched on giving me a good view for the show. Each bird he would hold in one talon and bite the wings off and swallow them whole. Caught 5 birds in about 30 minutes and ate them all the same way. The ground under that tree was covered with bird wings.

Comment

Walking into a stand in the dark I jumped a pair of dove that were roosting on ground for some reason. One of them clipped my hat on the way up. Scared the crap out of me.

Comment

Originally posted by Live2Hunt View Post
                    State: Texas
                    County: Wood
                    Date: December 2008
                    Time: 5:30am way before sunlight
                    Temp: 18 degrees

I was gun hunting back then and decided to hunt our most remote box blind in the "swamp". Its about a 3 mile walk in the middle of nowhere on our land. I mean no one lives nearby. I finally get to my box blind after walking on seriously hard frozen ground and opened the door. I climbed in and settled down.

About 10 minutes later I see something running across the small opening and head towards me. It's a naked man, running like the devil himself was after him. He headed straight to my box blind and jerked open the door to find me and a 30-06 pointed at him...

He slammed the door and took off back the way he came from. No idea who he was or what he was doing naked in that weather at that time of day.
                    That would’ve made a weird walk out next time.

Comment

Originally posted by Acameron52 View Post
                      That would’ve made a weird walk out next time.

Would have been my last walk out. Bc I would have never returned...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

A few years ago, I’m pulling onto my property about to turn down the road towards my cabin...and I see about a couple thousand vultures hanging out at my pond. It was the creepiest thing I’d ever seen, they were everywhere. My trucks kinda loud and they all lit at once. Around the two acre pond are about ten dead red oaks. Hundreds were flying off that tree and branches were crashing everywhere. It looked like a swarm or plague. Drove the truck to the cabin and walked back to the pond...only to turn around because it stunk so bad. Whatever they were, I cannot remember, they were migrating to Mexico and for some reason my pond was a resting point. It was weird.

Another time I walked out of the cabin to see a mountain lion sitting on my tractor under its roof. It was raining, power was out, the cat wanted out of the rain.

Comment

Good grief I could write a book. This is a kind of cool one. I was hunting as a guest at a friends place over a feeder in Dilley, Texas. Doves & Quail were all over the place around the feeder. The ground literally looked like it was alive below the feeder with all the dove and quail. All of the sudden I see a movement off to my right and its a coyote coming in low and fast from the right. He comes in full speed and as all the birds all scatter and fly up he leaps into the air snapping at the birds trying to catch one. He almost gets one. He walks around the feeder sniffing the ground and then goes and lays down underneath a mesquite about 30 yards ways. Well all the doves settle down and start landing back on the ground eating again. After about 10 minutes he gets up and low and fast comes hauling butt again into the middle of all the doves again and leaps up again trying to catch a dove snapping his teeth in the air. I was amazed at his patience and he looked like he had to have done it successfully several items before. So he gets discouraged and heads off. After he gets out about 200 yards I decided oh what the heck I am going to try to shoot this guy. So I hit the set trigger on my Buehler 30-06 Mauser and I whistled and he looked back. I placed a 165 grain 30-06 pointed soft point in his right nostril. He had a really bad day.

Comment

I had a hawk land in a small tree about 60 yards away. I was in full camo with a face mask. Only thing showing was my eyes and eye brows. I watched him a few minutes without moving and I don't really know why but I raised and lowered my eye brows a couple of times quickly and he looked dead at me. We just stared at each other for a minute or two then I did it again. He launched out of the tree and glided close to the ground til he got right under my tree then came straight up at me. I jumped up in my stand, waved my arms and hollered at him and he made a hard right turn. I guess he thought my eye brows moving was a mouse or something.

Comment

Usual snakes/mice/spiders/wasps/buzzards in the blind stories. Had a porcupine climb the tree next to my tripod and camp out right over my head on a limb. Have a pic somewhere.

Couple months ago went out to fill feeders and do a little work. I'm usually by myself at our place and had made a run into town. When I got back there was a van parked out on the dirt road close to the gate. Weird but didn't see anyone inside thought it broke down or something. When I got to camp I found a couple of Hispanic fellas lingering around out front in the 'yard'. Had a pistol on the hip and ar-15 in the passenger seat so wasn't too concerned as they didn't appear armed. Apparently they were painters looking for the big house down the road to do a little work. I always flip the lock back to the inside of the gate so it looks like someone's in rather than out and it was still in that position when I rolled up so it appeared they didn't have a combo to whatever place they were supposedly seeking. Sent them back to the truck and slept close to that ar for the next two days but never saw them again and nothing has come up stolen so maybe they really were just lost.

I've been that guy too. Hunting some "family land" with a high school friend. Apparently the guy didn't talk to the family real often and the place got sold the year before and the new l.o. didn't know who was shooting up his place one fine morning (duck hunting) and called the cops on us. Rightfully so. I was rather peeved at my buddy. Getting called out of the bushes at gun point wasn't really the way I saw my morning going. No charges filed after the new l.o. showed up and got in touch with the uncle that sold him the place. Apologized profusely for that one and got the heck out of there

Comment

A few years ago I was hunting at a friends place in Del Rio. I arrived at the hunt area. I decided to test the feeder to make sure it was working before I want into the blind. No sooner had I pressed the test button and the feeder went off did I hear rocks being over turned like something was running over the rocks. I look to my left and I see a bunch of set of ears from several deer heading towards the feeder. I did not have time to get away from the feeder. I just took a knee right under the feeder and nocked an arrow. Within a few seconds I had deer coming into the clearing. I put an arrow through a doe at 5 yards. That was the shortest hunt I have ever been on. It took all of about 2 minutes.

Comment

Working...
                                X