OFFICIAL 2016/17 East Texas Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d_e_smith View Post
    I was ahead of that then, I got the email our power went out when I hit Lufkin.

I've been a volunteer for over 20 years. I've seen many jackknifed trucks after the fact. This is my first time to witness it in motion. I had to pull my seat out of my a-- before getting out of the truck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

OFFICIAL 2016/17 East Texas Hunting Thread

I have much work to do still in pineland, going up this weekend for a lease work weekend. Hope to slide off for a couple hours and get my stand set up. Then I'll probably be back next weekend and get a tripod set up over the feeder, my pop up set up of my hand corn and trim a lane or two. Going to try and be extremely quiet about it.
      My spot is also slammed full of the beauty berry, should be able to put my tripod in a spot where I can hunt the feeder as well as over a huge concentration of the berries

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by MedikDave View Post
        I've been a volunteer for over 20 years. I've seen many jackknifed trucks after the fact. This is my first time to witness it in motion. I had to pull my seat out of my a-- before getting out of the truck.

I was headed into town on Saturday and saw that mess! When I headed back home, I went the "back" way thru 1960-Dayton-Cleveland... Traffic was backed up for miles!! Glad to hear no one was hurt! It sure looked bad from my side of the road! That power pole/lines was still hanging like that Yesterday... no new pole yet!

Comment

Cass County for me. We have everything set. Planted some throw and grow last week. Does only on camera so far and some large hogs. I am hunting an area with no feeder that I have been dumping corn for a few months. Amongst a big oak. So acorns or sweet corn, I am there. Placed a camera here the end of season last year and had 8 different bucks on film over 2 weeks time (thanks GarGuy). Looking forward to a great season.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Comment

Found fresh scrapes and rubs today in Cass County. Super early for scrapes but they are there. Bucks stopped hitting the feeders last week also. May start pouring corn near white oaks now....

Comment

Hang in there 20 more days ol boy

Comment

I would imagine so. I'll never understand why there's so many wrecks in that stretch.

Comment

Got these pics of my trail cam this week.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Roman AB; 09-12-2016, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Very nice!

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Comment

Enjoy east Texas-centric threads like this.

Our place is in north Polk County. We had a work weekend this weekend and mowed/ trimmed lanes, filled and triaged feeders, got even more serious about trail cameras after doing MLDP3 camera census survey in August.

I have a question: did anyone else notice bucks' velvet being shed earlier this year? Also, we started seeing scrapes already which seems early. Wondering if that may indicate our rut might be a little earlier.

One last comment. We've never seen bucks hammer the protein as hard as this year as well. Despite wet weather and lush conditions. Lots of non typical antlers with palmated beams, extra kickers, a couple with drop tines. We are seeing 3.5 yr old bucks that have antlers that could pass for older bucks.

Comment

The only ground scrape I found had a camera pointed at it since July, late Aug one of the yearlings slicked up and made it while that matriarch group was browsing around him. Last year I had one show up early like that with a cam pointed at it, but it was a 5yo buck that did it. Im betting the one made this year will be a crater by Oct.

Comment

I'm in! Ready be in the woods!

Comment

There was a total of 3 wrecks in that area that day. I live right off of fostoria rd.

Comment

We added Polk, Angelina and Liberty counties this year. As well as a FREE youth division 16 and under. Hope to see everyone in it again this year. We will have a big get together the weekend after season ends at the store to look at the deer shot And eat crawfish as season will be starting up.

Comment

Well my hunting east Texas deal got a little weird. When I went down to pickup all of my stuff at the hill country lease I was told that the deal looked like it might fall through so I put corn in my feeders and just brought back the extra stuff. I did setup one stand/feeder at the farm in Fruitvale. On this place we have a small area that you just can't keep a fence up. It is on mill creek and floods often. I have the stand right on the fence that separates this little area from the rest of the farm. Here are a few pictures of the setup.

The ladder stand was a 15 footer but I added an extra 5 foot section to it.

Just some pictures looking around and towards the feeder.

Comment

Working...
                                X