• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	24464707
    Finally! Decent internet service from the hostel here in Millenocket, Maine. As Blake posted earlier, I summited Katadhin today and completed my thru-hike! 2,189.1 miles!!! To say the day was powerful is an understatement. It started early in Baxter State Park after a night of rain and temps in the 40's. I guess there were 20 or so thru-hikers summiting (all starting early, but at separate times). The saying "everyone hikes Katadhin alone" seems to be true.

The hike was only 5 miles from the camp to the summit, but came with an elevation change of 4,000 feet. The concern of most hikers was the weather and conditions that would greet us that high up. Coming out of the 100 Mile Wilderness on Monday we were treated to a crystal clear view of Katadhin from 15 miles out. We knew today would not be as clear, but hoped conditions were better than Tuesday when the summit was invisible through a wall of clouds.

As I hiked out today signs looked positive that the sky might clear. The first half of the climb was standard AT elevation gains...gradually intensifying grade changes that soon gave way to tricky maneuvers up and around boulders. About 2 miles in tree-line ended and the hike turned into an intense rock scramble that called for my hands. At this point I put up my treking poles and used my hands and feet to get up and over scrambles.

As I went higher the adrenalin kicked in. HARD! I was moving and passed several hikers (both thru-hikers and day hikers). All along I was in thick clouds with little visibility of the view below. Then it broke... Or more like I climbed above the clouds. Absolutely amazing...I was above the clouds and visibility was clear.

The climb then gave way to a flat section on top of Katadhin which lead to the last push up to the terminus of the AT where other hikers were already celebrating their summit and more were soon to follow!

As promised early in the hike, with the trail name "The Dude" I would wear a bath robe in my summit pic (I also had some taken without robe). Everyone got a laugh when I pulled out a bath robe that Kelly had sent up and I had carried since my resupply in the 100 Mile Wilderness.

I will go back and post pictures from the Wilderness. It was bittersweet...my body was wearing down fast and nights dipped into the 30's. I did use my fly rod briefly and caught some small brook trout one night. The other morning my tent (with me in it) was nearly trampled by a bull moose chasing a cow moose. They came 10 yards from my tent. The noise woke everyone up. Ironically that morning was opening day of the first season and when we hiked into Abol Bridge Camp (at the end of the Wildeness) i saw several moose being checked in (game check in station).

Here is the summit picture. More pictures to follow!

Comment

The trail as it broke through the clouds and into higher elevation. Pictures can not do how I felt justice. It was amazing how visibility would change multiple times before summit. At summit the sign was always above clouds and temps were cold, but without wind.

Views:	1
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	24464708

Comment

A group of some of the thru-hikers that had made it to summit. More would follow including Alastair who brought up the rear today. The girl standing next to me (Sticks) was just proposed to by her now fiancé (Stones). He is standing to the far right. I had not met them on the hike before today. I was told that it is not uncommon to see thru-hikers for the first time on Katadhin.

Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	24464709

Comment

Another group shot with Tapeworm, me, Buckeye, Berkley and Buckeye's flag that he carried from Georgia.

Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	24464710

Comment

What an amazing and epic journey. Big congrats to you sir.

Comment

All I can say is WOW! Totally awesome . What was the oldest hiker you encountered?

Comment

The crew I started with into the 100 Mile Wilderness. Clovis, me, Stardust, Flannel, Lupine and Poke. With the exception of Clovis, this group intended to hike faster so I was only with them for three days. Clovis is a salt of the earth kind of guy and Army veteran (Iraq). He unfortunately had to be shuttled out of the Wilderness due intense shoulder pain. He is not a light weight and on the day we hiked to where he was shuttled out it was evident he was in severe pain with every step. He left the hike with 85 miles left, but he will finish it I am sure. Our best guess is he has a pinched nerve?

Flannel, with the completion of the AT, would become a Triple Crown hiker (AT, PCT and CDT). Pretty amazing accomplishment.

Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	24464711

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
                  All I can say is WOW! Totally awesome . What was the oldest hiker you encountered?
                  Thank you! I hiked with several older hikers. Towards the end it seemed as if the average age of hikers really shot upwards. Several hikers I hiked with were in their 70s! I wast old there was an 80year old man doing the 100 mile Wildeness, but I did not see him.

That being said, in the beginning out of shape 50 something year olds were usually the first ones to tap out.

Comment

The Dude.

Simply put, you are inspiring man. I had a fraternity brother complete the trail in 98, and have always thought of doing it myself. Through you sharing of this adventure, I have started shaking off my rust.

I shared you blog with my son, 14, and we have been discussing the Lone Star Trail for Spring break.

Abide on Dude.

Comment

Originally posted by harv418 View Post
                      The Dude.

Simply put, you are inspiring man. I had a fraternity brother complete the trail in 98, and have always thought of doing it myself. Through you sharing of this adventure, I have started shaking off my rust.

I shared you blog with my son, 14, and we have been discussing the Lone Star Trail for Spring break.

Abide on Dude.
                      Thank you. All I could say is there has never been a more euphoric feeling as when I was scrambling up Katahdin yesterday as I climb above the clouds and knew I was a few short miles from achieving my goal.

Regarding Lone Star Trail... Go for it. I may find my way out there as well. I did a brief shakedown hike out there last January. Good trail!

Comment

Clovis fording a river in the 100 Mile Wilderness (with Puma in back of him). 2,189 miles and this was the only time I took off my shoes to wade across a stream or river. Traditionally there are more, but the water levels are down.

Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	24464712

Comment

Such a great journey. CONGRATULATIONS! !!! Following this has been fun . I can't imagine the feeling of satisfaction you must have felt when you reached the top..

Comment

Amazing journey. Thanks for sharing with us. This will go on my short list of best of all time threads.

Comment

Big congrats Brandon!!! I cracked up when I saw the pic of you in your bath robe, took me a couple of seconds to get it.

Comment

Originally posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
                                Thank you. All I could say is there has never been a more euphoric feeling as when I was scrambling up Katahdin yesterday as I climb above the clouds and knew I was a few short miles from achieving my goal.

Regarding Lone Star Trail... Go for it. I may find my way out there as well. I did a brief shakedown hike out there last January. Good trail!
                                I'm another inspired hiker to be. After the start of this thread, I was obsessive researching the trail, backpacking, gear, etc... I'll be heading to the Buffalo River Trail with a friend in Arkansas late October.

Thanks for having us along. I lovvvvvveeeeee the pic in the robe. It really made a great ending statement.

Comment

Working...
                                X