what was your normal daily routine ?

for example

7:30a wake up
      8:00 breakfast
      9:00 brush teeth and pack items
      10:00 start hiking
      1:00p break for lunch
      ......etc....

Daily routine changed, but generally I would get up at 7:30 or so.i have never been an early riser. Many hikers were leaving camp by 7:30. I would then drink a cup of coffee and eat something quick (I did not cook breakfast). After that pack my stuff and be hiking by 8:30 or 9:00.

Lunch breaks varied but were short. In the summer I would siesta in the heat o of the day.i hiked best from 3:30 on so I usually hiked later than many hikers ( allowing me to catch up with those who started earlier than earlier than me).

In summer I hiked later. At the and when it was getting dark earlier I tried to get into camp by an hour before dark...its is not always work this way and I set up my and I set up my tent several times in the dark. Towards the end every one was so tired and malnourished people would be in their tents sleeping 20 minutes after dark!

Comment

Can we revisit the foot issues? Due to the start of this thread, it lead me to get into researching a lot more about hiking and backpacking. So, I planned a trip to Buffalo national river with a friend; we started Wednesday and completed it Saturday morning.

I wore hiking boots that I have, and are broken in around the neighborhood and a few day hikes. In part, I wanted to wear them to see how they'd do on a future mountain hunt for muleys or elk. My "pointer" toes got blisters from rubbing on big toe. The outside of my foot got very tender from long miles in the boot. I also had some plantars faciitus. I used tape to doctor up before each day.

I'll get to the point, sorry:
        It is different for everybody, but my main question is what did you experience and was it difficult for you to mentally overcome?

Comment

Originally posted by MLank View Post
          Can we revisit the foot issues? Due to the start of this thread, it lead me to get into researching a lot more about hiking and backpacking. So, I planned a trip to Buffalo national river with a friend; we started Wednesday and completed it Saturday morning.

I wore hiking boots that I have, and are broken in around the neighborhood and a few day hikes. In part, I wanted to wear them to see how they'd do on a future mountain hunt for muleys or elk. My "pointer" toes got blisters from rubbing on big toe. The outside of my foot got very tender from long miles in the boot. I also had some plantars faciitus. I used tape to doctor up before each day.

I'll get to the point, sorry:
          It is different for everybody, but my main question is what did you experience and was it difficult for you to mentally overcome?
          I will do my best. Please keep in mind foot problems are unique, everyone hiking had some type of problem to overcome at least early in the hike.

I did not experience major problems with blisters after adjusting my pre-trail broken in boots 40 miles in (switched out 12W for 13M). When the 13M blew out in PA with some 1,400 miles on them, I switched to 13W in the same boot. The point...hiking long distances will cause your feet to swell.

Early on I developed blisters from the 12W, but nothing major. I treated and wrapped with tape. As the hike progressed I developed some heavy duty callouses on my big toes. My big toe on my left foot was numb most of the hike and still feels numb.

The key is a boot that has enough room as well as good wool six (Darn Tough) and liners. I wore REI liners the entire trail. The boots I wore were Vaque Breeze. Vasque is owned by Red Wing and when my 13Mblew out they replaced them without hesitation.

Inside the Vasque I replaced the padding with Super Feet. I am confident this helped. Even with this my feet at the end ached bad! They still ache bad when I place pressure on the arches.

My advice again...
          Darn Tough wool six
          Lightweight liners
          Boots that have enough room for swelling
          Look into Super Feer insoles
          Bring tape and moleskin for toes

Final thought in blisters, the ones that developed early were held in check by popping and gently draining WITHOUT tearing off the skin. To protect the tested blister (Neospirin) I wrapped in moleskin and tape. After these initial blisters I did not have anymore although the outside of my big toes did develop heavy callouses that I would tape every so often.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	24469340

New boot day outside of post office in Pawling, NY. I actually replaced the 13M with 13M and then switched to 13W in CT. Let's just say Vasque/Red Wing has my business from here on out. The pair I was replacing went 1,400 and they were rapidly falling apart!

Comment

That's a lot of good detail. Thanks!

Comment

In an effort to put off transitioning back into "real life' and perhaps trying to forget I passed a mature East Tx deer last Monday that I should have "given the barrel', I put together and posted on Youtube a photo compilation of my AT hike. The intention was to commemorate all of the hikers I met from GA to MA. The photos for the most part are in chronological order from day 1 to day 176. Some of the pictures I may have already posted on here and some are unseen. Funny how there were so many people I ended up NOT getting pictures of...always works this way, but I did get pictures of alot of different hikers.

The music backdrop is a song called Show of Life by Phish, the version was recorded live in Dallas on 10/24/16 and fits nicely into what I was trying to do. So no Phish hating!

Check it out... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8H_ZemBZl4U

Comment

Wow! Epic journey!

Comment

This is my dream to hike this. Would love to sit down and talk to you about this. I work in the houston area in the refinery and chem plants. Shoot me an email at ourmail1971@gmail.com maybe we could meet up and have a beer.

Comment

Originally posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
                    In an effort to put off transitioning back into "real life' and perhaps trying to forget I passed a mature East Tx deer last Monday that I should have "given the barrel', I put together and posted on Youtube a photo compilation of my AT hike. The intention was to commemorate all of the hikers I met from GA to MA. The photos for the most part are in chronological order from day 1 to day 176. Some of the pictures I may have already posted on here and some are unseen. Funny how there were so many people I ended up NOT getting pictures of...always works this way, but I did get pictures of alot of different hikers.

The music backdrop is a song called Show of Life by Phish, the version was recorded live in Dallas on 10/24/16 and fits nicely into what I was trying to do. So no Phish hating!

Check it out... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8H_ZemBZl4U
                    Cool video. Thanks for sharing

Comment

Great collage of pics! What a journey, thanks for sharing!

Comment

Awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

That was awesome!!

Comment

Ttt bc I remembered this thread and kudos!

Comment

I’m newer to these forums, so just seeing this thread.

I thru-hiked the trail in 2015 with my old man. Took 6 months. Started in February & were practically the only ones on the trail until late March. Saw lots of bear, moose & rattlers!

I’ll enjoy reading through these pages. Congrats!
                              Last edited by Mullet; 05-22-2021, 10:38 PM.

Comment

Just now reading through the whole thread, Anvilhead. Congrats and good luck on you and your wife's current PCT hike. What was your final weight on this trip,? Sorry if I missed it.

Comment

Working...
                                X