No announcement yet.

Covert camera wireless App?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting. It is obvious the pic quality is better with Spartan but missing pics is no bueno.

What was each of their delay?

Comment

camera

so is 1 camera higher than the other on the same t-post? could that have made a difference. Again just curious was all.

Originally posted by Plain Lucky View Post
      Ok, did a test run comparing a 2016 Covert with a new Verizon Spartan. I set them out yesterday facing a feeder, both cameras on the same T-post. Both cameras were set on "normal" sensitivity. As expected, the Covert had quite a few false pics yesterday afternoon, 11 false pics between noon and dark to be exact.

BUT, as I was going through the pics this morning, I noticed 2 pics of a nice buck on the Covert around 3:30am and I did not get a picture of him on the Spartan. Upon going back and counting the pics received by each camera, the Covert sent 23 pics of animals between 10pm and 7am and the Spartan only sent 16. The Covert had no false pics during that time frame.

So, based on this short trial run, I'm going to say that the Spartan is not as sensitive and could be missing some pics. I've now changed the sensitivity level on the Spartan so that its on the most sensitive setting so we'll see how the compare. I'd be curious for others to run a similar test, even if its against a non-texting camera.

Comment

But it picked him up a few minutes later just as far away and not center camera, not sure why it missed him just a few minutes before...
        The way a pir works is by detecting a heat output from a subject. The fresnel lens over the pir is what concentrates or detects the heat. Not that there are zones but that's the easiest way to describe it. That buck may have been in one of the zones of the covert camera but not in the Spartans zone. It also looks like it may have walked straight in towards the camera which makes the odds of entering into one of the zones even more less likely.

Comment

Originally posted by RMW View Post
          The HCO is not nearly as sensitive as the covert. I run my HCO on high so I don't miss anything. I use to have a covert and on high I would get false triggers all day long of small birds and such. HCO I ran on high also and would get maybe 20 false triggers a day compared to 50 with the covert. I run my HCO on high still but I have it turned off between 10:00 am and 6:00pm.
          I think with the Spartans high may actually decrease sensitivity.

Comment

cameras

thanks for the update.

Comment

I have four Spartans and regardless of which one I put on my water trough setup I get false triggers when it's hot, greater than 95° during the middle of the day. These same cameras do not false trigger anywhere else I put them, even on setups where they are sitting in full sun all day long. I have no idea what the deal is with that spot. When we had all that cool rainy weather, I have the same camera on a five second delay and didn't average one false trigger a day. I did try the high sensitivity setting in really hot weather and it cut the false triggers by about 90%, but it also cut normal motion triggers. Maybe it's just this particular camera but in hot weather the high sensitivity was not good at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Last edited by Roscoe; 09-02-2016, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DEADEYE1 View Post
                so is 1 camera higher than the other on the same t-post? could that have made a difference. Again just curious was all.

Would need to swap the position of the two to see if it makes any difference. Really, board mounted side by side is best. But it very well could be the covert is sensing farther out. I've not felt like I've had any sensing issues distance wise, but I haven't hung another camera up with to check either.

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                  Interesting. It is obvious the pic quality is better with Spartan but missing pics is no bueno.

What was each of their delay?
                  Both were using 2 minute delay and neither had transmitted a pic within at least 15 minutes

I believe while using the standard setting on the Spartan, the quality is the same between the two isn't it? The difference is that the Spartan allows the option to receive all pics at a higher definition or just request HD pics as desired?

Comment

Correct, the Spartan is about crotch high and the Covert is about 18" higher on the same T post. As Roscoe mentioned, I need to swap them to see if I get the same results. Think I'll run them another day or two to see if it continues and then try that.

Originally posted by johnnydh View Post
                    The way a pir works is by detecting a heat output from a subject. The fresnel lens over the pir is what concentrates or detects the heat. Not that there are zones but that's the easiest way to describe it. That buck may have been in one of the zones of the covert camera but not in the Spartans zone. It also looks like it may have walked straight in towards the camera which makes the odds of entering into one of the zones even more less likely.
                    Thanks and great point. The feeder legs of may have interfered with the zones of one camera but not the other due to the cameras being 18" apart. BUT the Covert still took 23 pics vs 16 from the Spartan. That's 44% more pics but a 23 pic sample over just one night is too small to make that claim at this point.

Comment

plain lucky keep us posted.

its always something with these wireless cameras!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Both were using 2 minute delay and neither had transmitted a pic within at least 15 minutes

I believe while using the standard setting on the Spartan, the quality is the same between the two isn't it? The difference is that the Spartan allows the option to receive all pics at a higher definition or just request HD pics as desired?
                        Pretty much. You can either have all the pictures sent at the lowest setting (640x480) or the larger (1280x960) setting. And you can request a larger resolution(HD) of either. I find when sending everything in 1280x960 I seldom request the HD version. There's no where near the visual quality difference in 1280 and HD as there is in 640 and 1280.

I actually think in the low quality setting the covert pictures may be better. But not having both cameras in the same setting its hard for me to say for sure.

The only time I use the lowest setting is on something like a trail or water trough so I get more pictures triggered in a shorter period of time...and then I just request the higher resolution version as needed.

Last edited by Roscoe; 09-02-2016, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Thanks Roscoe - I've left my Spartan on the lowest setting initially with the thought that I can always request HD when I need it. Hogs are wearing us out so we are getting lots of pics until we can get there to work them over. The covert and Spartan pics I posted in post 898 & 899 should give a good comparison of Covert pics vs Spartan's lowest resolution pics. It looks like they must both be 640 x 480.

Comment

I totally missed that post. Yeah, I'm pretty sure they are both 640x480. Not a much difference that I can see in the two.

Comment

Been testing the spartan around the house all day and can say I def like it better.
                              Will be putting the covert up for sale soon.

Comment

plain lucky keep us posted.

its always something with these wireless cameras!!!!!!!!!!
                                Night 2 of sensitivity comparison between Covert and Spartan:

Between 11pm and 7 am the covert took 39 pics and the Spartan only took 19. I had changed the Spartan sensitivity to "low" using the app but maybe that should have been to "high" instead? Changed it to high just now so we'll see how tonight's results compare.

Comment

Working...
                                X