No announcement yet.

2016 Hagerman Hog Hunt: Seg-A Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been following the Hagerman posts for a little over a year now and have tried to learn what I could from everyone's experiences. Last year we hunted hard and struck out.

This year we jumped giant hogs (A group of 4, a group of 3, and a single twice) throughout the day. We did see a small sow and 3 piglets as we biked out last night

This morning we had a strategy based on what we had seen and finally got one down. It is a real good size sow and she was the smallest one we saw on our area.

[IMG][/IMG]

Bikes and trailer saved us a 2 mile hike out.

Any guesses how big she is? I am 220 standing behind her

Comment

congrats texscala...

it's a learning experience for me too. been doing this for a couple years and i learn something new each trip out.

i say she goes 210....

Comment

What a day. What a day.

Yesterday we probably saw 60+ pigs.....no shots.

Today we saw three and shot two out of three. What are the odds....

After lunch we took an hour or so to kick the boots off and get a siesta in a shady area under some cedars. That really recharged my batteries.

We stalked NNE and I was in the lead position working through some briars towards the old home place with the old car with the tree growing through the frame. I was about 20 yards ahead of Tobin when I noticed a hog's back laying up beside a log. As I turned to motion to Tobin Porky must have heard me because as I clipped the release on and turned my head back around he was standing and had me. He was quartering hard to me, getting ready to bolt. I was within 12 yards. Tobin never heard me but looked up in time to see me at full draw, releasing the arrow. Thwack! The arrow buried up to the fletchings in his left shoulder pointing to his right hip. He was off.

I found a few quarter and half dollar sized spots of blood. I don't believe there was an exit wound. I had a general path of travel (heavy emphasis on general) so I started the search. Grid searched for 1.5 hours but couldn't find him. He's deader than a bag of hammers. One less hog but no jalapeƱo and cheese summer sausage.

During my search I did find a casualty from yesterday. The H yotes will be living high on the hog tonight.

Approximately 65 hunters checked in today. 28 pigs reported taken so far for this segment. Largest one-Hunter total I saw was 4.

I'll be back out scouting Meyers Branch tomorrow morning for future deer hunts. If I get a shot opportunity it will be icing on the cake!

Who is hunting tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by Texscala View Post
          I have been following the Hagerman posts for a little over a year now and have tried to learn what I could from everyone's experiences. Last year we hunted hard and struck out.

This year we jumped giant hogs (A group of 4, a group of 3, and a single twice) throughout the day. We did see a small sow and 3 piglets as we biked out last night

This morning we had a strategy based on what we had seen and finally got one down. It is a real good size sow and she was the smallest one we saw on our area.

[IMG][/IMG]

Bikes and trailer saved us a 2 mile hike out.

Any guesses how big she is? I am 220 standing behind her

I'll guess her at 230. Good shooting.

Comment

Originally posted by Booner Sooner View Post
            What a day. What a day.

After lunch we took an hour or so to kick the boots off and get a siesta in a shady area under some cedars. That really recharged my batteries.

We stalked NNE and I was in the lead position working through some briars towards the old home place with the old car with the tree growing through the frame. I was about 20 yards ahead of Tobin when I noticed a hog's back laying up beside a log. As I turned to motion to Tobin Porky must have heard me because as I clipped the release on and turned my head back around he was standing and had me. He was quartering hard to me, getting ready to bolt. I was within 12 yards. Tobin never heard me but looked up in time to see me at full draw, releasing the arrow. Thwack! The arrow buried up to the fletchings in his left shoulder pointing to his right hip. He was off.

I found a few quarter and half dollar sized spots of blood. I don't believe there was an exit wound. I had a general path of travel (heavy emphasis on general) so I started the search. Grid searched for 1.5 hours but couldn't find him. He's deader than a bag of hammers. One less hog but no jalapeƱo and cheese summer sausage.

During my search I did find a casualty from yesterday. The H yotes will be living high on the hog tonight.

Approximately 65 hunters checked in today. 28 pigs reported taken so far for this segment. Largest one-Hunter total I saw was 4.

I'll be back out scouting Meyers Branch tomorrow morning for future deer hunts. If I get a shot opportunity it will be icing on the cake!

Who is hunting tomorrow?
            Don't waste your time in Myers. Spent some time in there today and it's like the Dead Sea. You might have a little luck on the north side of Myers, but everything along the bottom is stale.

Comment

2016 Hagerman Hog Hunt: Seg-A Thread

I will do a better write up when I get to a computer but here's the basics and a few more pics. We cover a lot more ground today. And only saw 3 hogs 2 of which got shot. I shot this boar around 5:30 at 50 yards. Me and Micah quartered him and I walked 1 mile to our bikes with him on my back and then pulled him on our bike trailer another 2 miles. It's been a great weekend!!Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457240360.761975.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	24433373Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457240405.779233.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	24433375Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457240419.047027.jpg
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	24433376Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457240434.865171.jpg
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	24433377Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457240451.366543.jpg
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	24433378Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457240477.918547.jpg
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	24433379
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Shake N' Bake; 03-05-2016, 11:05 PM.

Comment

Not sure the shooting was great. We had two guys sitting on a known escape path and two guys slowly stalking the area. Stalkers jumped the hog and put 3 rounds in her. She limped hard as she struggled over a log and then took off.

A few minutes later she limped near where the escape route was and the guys sitting finished her off.

Interesting thing is I am pretty sure the sow is a cripple. Check out her front right leg. The hoof was also growing weird and there was a large mass there. I wonder if she was shot last year or something. It also seemed odd she was the only pig we found alone.

Comment

Final Day boys. Let's get this done!

Comment

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by hogwired View Post
                      It was nice to meet you DarkHorse. Good luck tomorrow
                      Nice meeting you as well, good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Booner Sooner View Post
                        What a day. What a day.

Who is hunting tomorrow?

awesome, heading out shortly for one last day.

Comment

Who all is still at it on day 3?
                          I decide to stay at camp and tend the fire and drink some coffee.
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457270534.877698.jpg
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	24433380

Comment

btw, i found a range finder that looks kinda beat up.

looks like it was lost before this weekend.

anyone missing one?

Comment

I'm on some hogs in big mineral today, but haven't been able to seal the deal

Comment

All the hogs I've seen today have been bedded down, nothing up moving

Comment

Working...
                                X