Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Predator Huntin.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whoops double posts.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
      Thanks I'll have to remember that. If all I shoot is one fox down there this year I'll be happy. I've wanted to get one for a long time.
      For your first grey fox don't just settle for the first one, make it special, take the first one that gets in your lap.

Comment

Originally posted by tex4k View Post
        For your first grey fox don't just settle for the first one, make it special, take the first one that gets in your lap.
        Oh yeah no doubt! I hope to get several so I can have choices on which one to get mounted. I really hope I get to shoot a whole bunch. I wouldn't mind having a pelt or two if we bust a whole mess of them. But if all I can get is one I'll still be happy as can be. I started watching old episodes of FoxPro Furtakers before bed last night. I got so stinkin jacked up watchin those little foxes come to the call I couldn't sleep.lol I'm so ridiculous man. Like a little kid waiting to open presents under the Christmas tree.

Comment

Cabela's has the FoxPro Wildfire 2 on sale right now if any of y'all are looking for a new predator call. My grandpa and a buddy of mine both have one. It's a great call for the money. I called in 4 coyotes on one stand last Winter with my grandpa's call using Lightning Jack.

Comment

Originally posted by CTB View Post
            Coyotes are in full swing right now. Been killing 8-10 a week
            Dang! Let me know if you need a ride along! Got a NV scope I need to slap on my AR that I need to break in.

Comment

still yet to kill a fox in the 15 years I've been going... probably 20 bobcats, no foxes... had 2 shots at them... and forgot to chamber a round for one and wasn't fast enough on the other...

Comment

Originally posted by catslayer View Post
                still yet to kill a fox in the 15 years I've been going... probably 20 bobcats, no foxes... had 2 shots at them... and forgot to chamber a round for one and wasn't fast enough on the other...
                Oh darn it. Surely you'll get another shot at one,one of these days. That's better than I've done. I've called in lots of yotes and bobcats.....0 fox. Are there just not many foxes where you're at? If I can get one within shotgun range that would be the best case scenario. That rascal ain't gettin away if I'm on him with the shotgun.

Comment

I just did the dumbest thing ever. I went out this evening and made a quick stand. Called for 15 minutes on the side of a hill overlooking an old prairie dog town bordered by another hill and sagebrush. Well I called and after seeing nothin but a few deer way out in the distance I decided to head to a different spot. As I got to the top of the hill I turned to get a better look at what was over the next hill...I caught a glimpse of fur shining about 350 yards out. It was a big bobcat just sittin there watching me leave. He turned around and walked away and down into a low spot. I did all I could think to do and sat down and switched calls hoping to catch his attention again. Well that didn't work. I can't believe that happened. If I'd have sat there for 10 more minutes I'd have that bobcat. Shoot! That sneaky son of a gun! I hate that.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
                    I just did the dumbest thing ever. I went out this evening and made a quick stand. Called for 15 minutes on the side of a hill overlooking an old prairie dog town bordered by another hill and sagebrush. Well I called and after seeing nothin but a few deer way out in the distance I decided to head to a different spot. As I got to the top of the hill I turned to get a better look at what was over the next hill...I caught a glimpse of fur shining about 350 yards out. It was a big bobcat just sittin there watching me leave. He turned around and walked away and down into a low spot. I did all I could think to do and sat down and switched calls hoping to catch his attention again. Well that didn't work. I can't believe that happened. If I'd have sat there for 10 more minutes I'd have that bobcat. Shoot! That sneaky son of a gun! I hate that.

95% of cats I've called in will come within 60-70 yards of the call and sit down on their haunches to assess the situation. If they like what they hear/see, they will circle and come in. If they don't like the situation, they will lower their back and ease on out...

Comment

Originally posted by AddisonOil View Post
                      95% of cats I've called in will come within 60-70 yards of the call and sit down on their haunches to assess the situation. If they like what they hear/see, they will circle and come in. If they don't like the situation, they will lower their back and ease on out...
                      Almost every cat I've had come in has come in really,really slow. I call them in normally in thick cover so I never figured a cat would come in through sagebrush. I gave up in 15 minutes which is what I normally call for coyotes. If I'm specifically setting up to call a cat I'll stay 30 minutes or more. I was facing the South and had more of a Southeast wind so the cat hadn't quite made it that far. From the looks of it he was heading straight towards where I had been sitting. The hills prevented me from seeing him make his way to where I was or I'd have waited on him. I'm gonna give it a few days and try again. Next time I'm going to switch spots,stay longer and bring my electronic call instead and play bird sounds.
                      Last edited by okrattler; 12-17-2015, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Passthrough View Post
                        A lot of the fox sounds work well....like platinum grey and fox distress
                        These two are what I have used and they work.

Comment

Originally posted by texan4ut View Post
                          These two are what I have used and they work.
                          I couldn't decide on which FoxPro to get but I saw the Inferno had these two sounds and the other I was thinking about buying didn't so I went with the Inferno instead. It has the FoxBang feature on it so when I shoot it'll automatically switch to another sound. Is one of those two what I should have it set to switch to?

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
                            Holding off until big cat contest time.
                            Yep

Comment

Killed a good one tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by jaker_cc View Post
                                Killed a good one tonight.

That is a good one. What model of FoxPro do you have?

Comment

Working...
                                X