No announcement yet.

more money or quality of life?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have never had a problem with anyone at any level of any company I've ever worked for (just two since college) knowing that my family is far more important to me than my job. I left the first "corporate ladder" type job to start my current career, but I never had any problems or repercussions there when I made job choices based on what was best for my family life instead of what the boss wanted most sometimes. I still advanced. I was prepared for it not to be that way though. I made decisions based on what was best for my family, whether it cost me a promotion or not.

I've talked to lots of men who regretted spending too much time on their job, in their business, etc. and too little time with their kids who grew up and left the house faster than they ever imagined it could happen. I didn't want to be that guy.

Obviously you have to have money, and a good work ethic, drive and ambition are very good qualities to have. Balance is the key. The right balance is hard to find sometimes, and it's a little different for every person. Only you can make the call for your situation.

Comment

For me, I have three kids under the age of 12 so I would take the one that gives me more time at home. I've never heard anyone on their death bed say "I wish I would've worked a lot more!"

Comment

How often do you lose power?

How often are you having to stay late?

Have you ever turned in a week of vacation request?

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
          I have never had a problem with anyone at any level of any company I've ever worked for (just two since college) knowing that my family is far more important to me than my job. I left the first "corporate ladder" type job to start my current career, but I never had any problems or repercussions there when I made job choices based on what was best for my family life instead of what the boss wanted most sometimes. I still advanced. I was prepared for it not to be that way though. I made decisions based on what was best for my family, whether it cost me a promotion or not.

I've talked to lots of men who regretted spending too much time on their job, in their business, etc. and too little time with their kids who grew up and left the house faster than they ever imagined it could happen. I didn't want to be that guy.

Obviously you have to have money, and a good work ethic, drive and ambition are very good qualities to have. Balance is the key. The right balance is hard to find sometimes, and it's a little different for every person. Only you can make the call for your situation.
          Listen to Shane...I made a choice at 38 that I would take a job that pays less ,so that I could pick up my kids everyday from school and Coach and attend all their sports..At 49 and with children that are now 17 and 15 I have made the right decision for my family...It all depends on your family needs 10k is not that much money 192.00 a month before taxes...Your children are only young once.

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
            Without reading others post.
            1.) Responsibility is what climbing the corporate ladder is about. The more the better.
            2.) Less responsibility the less important you are to any organization of value.
            3.) Jobs (careers) are a function of taking care of your family. It would be a simple choice for me.
            X2, sounds like they desire to keep you where you are because of your work ethic and reliability. I'd stay where I was at if it was a job I liked.

Comment

Growing up my dad worked all the time and we never took vacations longer than 2 days except twice. I promised if I ever had kids I would take good vacations and have quality time with my family even if I didn't have the money. I have made different career moves along the way. My earnings have gone up over time but I don't make a lot of money. I do work a lot at times but still set time aside for my family. I get to a ton of my sons events and we take great vacations and get to go hunting and such.
              Climbing a cooperate ladder is not the right choice for everyone.
              If it was me I would have a long discussion with the wife, kids and the good Lord above and see what they want. You can always start doing something different after they leave the house if you want. My 2 cents.

Comment

Originally posted by MySRT8U View Post
                "Money often costs too much"
                Quote of the year right there.

Personally, if you know taking the lesser responsibility job won't cost you your job, and you are comfortable with the money you make now, I would step down and take the other position. Being on call all the time isn't worth it. Your family time suffers from it. You will enjoy life much more.

Comment

Originally posted by Redneck Archer View Post
                  whats up guys. been a while since I posted. life has been great

but I am facing a big decision tomorrow.

I have been offered a much less stress, and less stressful workload position at work (by some guys I know that hunt). I keep my entire benefit package and salary etc. just switch departments.

I was offered by management 10k more annually to stay where I am (they said I am more valuable to the company where I am and I should earn more for that, but I can move if I would like)... I know if I stay not much will change and the responsibility will always be there...

I am struggling with the decision. how much money is quality of life worth. right now if we lose power I am coming in, in the middle of the night and babysitting till it comes back on (with a counterpart). I do sometimes have to work more hours to get stuff done (I do get compensated via straight pay).

at the other department I will not be responsible for or do any of that.

what say you?
                  Originally posted by rtp View Post
                  IF you take the position that is comfortable for you and not the one Management wants you in, be prepared to stay there forever. You will never be seen as someone the company can count on to be a leader. My .02 would be to take the 10K more and continue moving up the ladder in the company.
                  Originally posted by rtp View Post
                  Let me be more direct....taking the lower pay less stressful job would be a death sentence for your career at that company. I have seen a lot of people look back on their lives and say they wished they had done this or that when an opportunity had presented itself. They made a decision that was best for them at the moment without consideration for what it meant overall to their career. If you are moving up the ladder every year or so, those 10,000+ dollar raises really add up in 10 to 20 years. As said earlier, only you can make this decision, Im just asking you to think about what it might mean to you 5-10 years down the road and not simply, tomorrow, as you have put it. Best of luck and I hope it all works out for the best.
                  I tend to agree with rtp.

However, Redneck Archer, a few answers from you would be helpful.
                  What industry are you in?
                  About how old are you?
                  How long have you been with this company?
                  Roughly, how big is the company?

Comment

I make enough to pay bills and sock some for retirement. I have been looking to go to a different department which would mean more money, more travel and being away from family, because the position I am in there is no room for advancement except the yearly minimal pay raise.

For the new position and what they offered looking at the after tax it wasn't that much of a raise for what I was going to have to step up and do and hours putting in. I decided to keep my old job which I know and its easy I will fill in and travel and train if needed but it is my choice to say no.

...but I also do other things to make up the extra money and stay in town and not travel for 3 months almost back to back. I sell stuff online on GS, FB and CL. In my spare time I also help with building clean outs, including hoarders houses and garages and I scrap metal of all types for extra $$.

It really all depends on what you want...now and in the future.

I am being serious about this next part...maybe you need to learn to not stress out as much. Learn ways to take that tension and turn it around and use it positively. Stress and money will not help you be happy and healthy.

Comment

Let me ask you and the guys talking about quality of life over a demanding career with financial gain, are you saving enough to make sure you are going to be able to live that same quality of life in retirement? Im old enough to have plenty of friends who are of retirement age or close to it. Many of them took the less stressful jobs/lower pay to be home at a certain time everyday, to be off all weekends and holidays. They never thought too much about retirement until it was upon them or too late to do anything about it. Now they are working well into retirement and their pay hasnt kept up with cost of living increases through the years so they struggle. Listen, it is possible to have a demanding career and the benefits that go with it and still enjoy your life. It is a balancing act at times but it can be done. I did it and know plenty of others that have. Dont be afraid to negotiate things with your bosses outside of money. If they value you, they will find a way to make adjustments to accommodate you. For instance, tell them, Im taking opening weekend of bow season off every year and Im taking a one week vacation every year with my family. Let them figure out who is going to cover for you. Just something else to think about. This is a great topic and I love hearing everyone's take on it.

Comment

Management wanting someone in a position because they 'think hes more useful there' is usually motivated by the understanding it would cost them more to replace him in that position. Not because hes super knowledgable or talented or even skilled.
                        Just a financial thing.
                        *Not saying thats the case, RNA.. but dont let the 'management said this' be a huge influence in your decision...they look out for the bottom line first.

Comment

Dads take vacations with their families?

I thought that was what grandparents were for?

Comment

So please let us know what decision you made. Today is the day, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Redneck Archer View Post
                              well, you guys arent helping me... lol

10k is a descent amount of money, but I am not sure if its worth the risks I take daily.

one of the problems I have right now is I get vacation time but due to my job I struggle with being able to take a vacation. I cant take a week off work right now. I have weekly requirements to projects and customers that MUST get done. El Paisano reminded me of that just now
                              I would take the extra money.

However, if you want to take a vacation then put in for your vacation time well in advance. Make your plans for your vacation. Put a plan together to put things in place at work so you can take your vacation. You can miss a week of work, the world won't end and some other people might have to pick up the slack or some things can wait.

Good luck whatever you decide (or decided).

Comment

Not knowung the details, If you are as valuable to them as they say, I would make it a point to address your concerns with management about vacations, time off, and family time. Maybe you can work out something that would benefit both of you. Otherwise, you have a hard decision to make. I look at it like some have mentioned, I've never talked to someone who is of retirement age who said they wished they had spent more time at work, but I have talked to many guys who have said they wished they had been there to watch their children grow up!

Comment

Working...
                                X