No announcement yet.

more money or quality of life?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The extra cash will prob just push you in to the next tax bracket and Uncle Sam is the one getting a raise. I would make the move to less stress and more time off to hunt and spent time with family. Stress is a killer and can make you sick 10K is not worth your health. What risks are you taking?

Your car you drive everyday gets you to work but if you started riding a bike it will still get you to work just takes a little longer. But when riding the bike you will get to see more of the things you have been speeding by everyday in your car that you never even noticed. Some get all tied up in the job it becomes their life and then they retire and real life has passed them by. Remember your job is just a vehicle to your dreams its not your dream.
    Last edited by justintyme8303; 07-26-2015, 09:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
      Let me be more direct....taking the lower pay less stressful job would be a death sentence for your career at that company. I have seen a lot of people look back on their lives and say they wished they had done this or that when an opportunity had presented itself. They made a decision that was best for them at the moment without consideration for what it meant overall to their career. If you are moving up the ladder every year or so, those 10,000+ dollar raises really add up in 10 to 20 years. As said earlier, only you can make this decision, Im just asking you to think about what it might mean to you 5-10 years down the road and not simply, tomorrow, as you have put it. Best of luck and I hope it all works out for the best.
      Listen to this man!

Comment

Without reading others post.
        1.) Responsibility is what climbing the corporate ladder is about. The more the better.
        2.) Less responsibility the less important you are to any organization of value.
        3.) Jobs (careers) are a function of taking care of your family. It would be a simple choice for me.

Comment

more money or quality of life?

IF you take the position that is comfortable for you and not the one Management wants you in, be prepared to stay there forever. You will never be seen as someone the company can count on to be a leader. My .02 would be to take the 10K more and continue moving up the ladder in the company.

I took a 19k pay cut to move up the corporate ladder,stayed there for three years and by the end of three years I was 10k less than what I made before. After the three years I was promoted again and am now making six figures more than I was before I took my last promotion. Sometimes you have to look a step or two ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
            Without reading others post.
            1.) Responsibility is what climbing the corporate ladder is about. The more the better.

I dont think he his on that ladder since "management" is wanting him to stay put.

2.) Less responsibility the less important you are to any organization of value.
            Not true and if that is the case OP find a new job. I would want to work for a company where everyone matters.

3.) Jobs (careers) are a function of taking care of your family. It would be a simple choice for me.
            He has a job so he is already taking care of business and by putting himself in a better position to spend more time with his family for the same money he is making now IS taking care of his family ..money is not the ONLY thing your family needs from you. They need your time too and that is way more valuable than money in my book. So it would be a no brainer for me.

Comment

Originally posted by justintyme8303 View Post
              He has a job so he is already taking care of business and by putting himself in a better position to spend more time with his family for the same money he is making now IS taking care of his family ..money is not the ONLY thing your family needs from you. They need your time too and that is way more valuable than money in my book. So it would be a no brainer for me.
              This is my thoughts. ENJOY your life & Family. You can't get time back!

Comment

"Money often costs too much"

Comment

I think quality of life is always more important that money. Money can't buy you the precious memories with your family and especially your kids because they grow up way too fast!!

Comment

Let me be more direct....taking the lower pay less stressful job would be a death sentence for your career at that company. I have seen a lot of people look back on their lives and say they wished they had done this or that when an opportunity had presented itself. They made a decision that was best for them at the moment without consideration for what it meant overall to their career. If you are moving up the ladder every year or so, those 10,000+ dollar raises really add up in 10 to 20 years. As said earlier, only you can make this decision, Im just asking you to think about what it might mean to you 5-10 years down the road and not simply, tomorrow, as you have put it. Best of luck and I hope it all works out for the best.
                    I'm In this camp. Good advice.

I took the next step on the ladder about 5 years ago.
                    It's been a great ride and has afforded me a few things like better child care.
                    Sure it's more hours and responsibility but I get paid for it.

Comment

Originally posted by txtimetravler View Post
                      I'm In this camp. Good advice.

I took the next step on the ladder about 5 years ago.
                      It's been a great ride and has afforded me a few things like better child care.
                      Sure it's more hours and responsibility but I get paid for it.
                      Nice! Don't let the rug slip..........or at least don't be surprised!

Comment

Moving the cheese helps keep peeps on their toes.

Has your cheese ever moved?

Comment

Last year I worked 1000 hours of overtime and made big money doing it. This year I decided that I wanted to be at home more with my family and I have worked less than 100 hours of OT. I honestly cannot tell the difference in the money. Quality of life is where its at. How much is your time worth to you. Much more than 10K in my opinion.

Comment

Take the other job

Comment

Originally posted by justintyme8303 View Post
                              The extra cash will prob just push you in to the next tax bracket and Uncle Sam is the one getting a raise. I would make the move to less stress and more time off to hunt and spent time with family. Stress is a killer and can make you sick 10K is not worth your health. What risks are you taking?

Your car you drive everyday gets you to work but if you started riding a bike it will still get you to work just takes a little longer. But when riding the bike you will get to see more of the things you have been speeding by everyday in your car that you never even noticed. Some get all tied up in the job it becomes their life and then they retire and real life has passed them by. Remember your job is just a vehicle to your dreams its not your dream.
                              I like your advice.

unfortunately I cannot go to much into the risks.
                              Last edited by Redneck Archer; 07-27-2015, 04:21 AM.

Comment

Not much help,but all of the above is correct.Only you know your situation and needs.

DJ

Comment

Working...
                                X