NASA Discovers Bigger, Older Cousin to Earth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Smell the Glove View Post
    You're right, lets just look at a book to determine how old everything is. No point in trying to figure this stuff out.
    Originally posted by sethcros View Post
    You just can't bother with it, man. You just have to smile and nod
    My homies!

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
      How old is the earth, 6 billion years old?

Aliens could have been coming here once every 20,000 years or in other words they could have came here 300,000 times and just missed humankind.

You guys "get" the magnitude of space etc, but seem to not want to understand odds.
      There is evidence all over the earth that supports or at least questions whether or not our ancestors had help in our development.
      Architectural sights know to be 10's of thousands of years old exist in every corner of this planet. Structures that cold not have been built by humans 10 thousand years ago but these sites still exist.
      Every civilization 2000 years ago spoke and wrote about the star people. These people helped to build things,create language, mathematics, capable of controlled flight.
      Dierenkuyu(sp) is a sight in Turkey. It reaches up to 300 feet underground. Capable of housing 20k people,have 15k vent shafts etc. There is no way people 200+ years ago could have built it with their tools and knowledge at the time.
      OPEN THY MIND my friend
      No money spent exploring space is a waste

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
        The fastest manmade object utilizing the slingshot effect managed to achieve .00012 the speed of light (87,000mph).
        Math was never my strong suit but that's a tiny fraction of the speed that, if we could begin to approach, would still take us 1,400 years to get there.

Mind boggling to me.
        Somebody check my math but I think this equates to 173 million years at the speed of our fastest craft.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
            Somebody check my math but I think this equates to 173 million years at the speed of our fastest craft.
            Like I said. Math not my strong suit. That was hours. So 20000 years. Still mind boggling.

Comment

Aside from us spending tons of money for new technology yes, it's a 100% waste of money.

What else can we possibly gain?
              Learning new things isn't important to you?

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                There is evidence all over the earth that supports or at least questions whether or not our ancestors had help in our development.
                Architectural sights know to be 10's of thousands of years old exist in every corner of this planet. Structures that cold not have been built by humans 10 thousand years ago but these sites still exist.
                Every civilization 2000 years ago spoke and wrote about the star people. These people helped to build things,create language, mathematics, capable of controlled flight.
                Dierenkuyu(sp) is a sight in Turkey. It reaches up to 300 feet underground. Capable of housing 20k people,have 15k vent shafts etc. There is no way people 200+ years ago could have built it with their tools and knowledge at the time.
                OPEN THY MIND my friend
                No money spent exploring space is a waste
                Uhh... Do you think that 5,000 years is a significant amount of time in the development of the human brain?

I don't. They had solutions for things we've forgotten. We've solved problems they never knew existed.

When people started to farm, they had more dead time... and could apply their brain to other things besides hunting... When they started to build societies where everyone could specialize a craft.... that's when things got interesting... but don't think for a second that the average person 5000 years ago was dumber than the average person today.

Same Processor and hard drive... different information stored.

Comment

Your right Encinal humans in Ancient society's were able to learn over time how to turn a flint rock into a flint weapon or tool and solve even more advanced task than that. And yes over time some developed more and more advanced brains capable of some pretty amazing intelligence but even with intelligence some things still could not have been done by humans 5k-10k-50k -100k years ago but yet there are plenty of highly advanced structures, objects around the world dating back to even farther back in time.
                  I do believe it is highly likely that knowledge is lost over time and has to be relearned but the knowledge of 100k years ago still could not have produced some of the things around the world left today

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                    I say we ship all the liberals of to newly discovered planet in the habitable zone so they can live really green without us environment polluting folks. What do you guys think?
                    Best idea yet. They can launch from Vandenberg AFB and start rounding them up in Southern Cal, then move to my area.

I think the science is interesting, but the underlying reason they're publicizing this is a continual pressure to eliminate Christianity and the concept of a God from the US. If there is life on another planet-whatever it is- who said God did not create it as well?

All part of their plans!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                      Your right Encinal humans in Ancient society's were able to learn over time how to turn a flint rock into a flint weapon or tool and solve even more advanced task than that. And yes over time some developed more and more advanced brains capable of some pretty amazing intelligence but even with intelligence some things still could not have been done by humans 5k-10k-50k -100k years ago but yet there are plenty of highly advanced structures, objects around the world dating back to even farther back in time.
                      I do believe it is highly likely that knowledge is lost over time and has to be relearned but the knowledge of 100k years ago still could not have produced some of the things around the world left today
                      Knowledge is an aggregate of societal learning. Obviously humans today are more knowledgeable. Individual intellects however... Capacity to store and use knowledge are no different today than 5000 years ago.

Comment

Exactly what I said. I'm asking what have we found in space that we can use. Not what we can learn as humans spending trillions exploring. We could have spent the same money but focused on specific things and be further ahead.

And if they think they find something we could never get to it so it's all just for fun. I'm not knocking anyone for wanting to explore and enjoy. But there should be limits and it is a waste of money.
                        Tang, dippin dots, satellite tv, GPS, game came that text pictures..... Just a few useful things space exploration has given to us

Comment

Originally posted by sethcros View Post
                          I guess this can't just be a cool scientific discovery without bringing politics into it. Sigh. Oh well
                          u beat me to it! This stuff is incredibly important and I don't care how they vote.........or if they vote at all.
                          The tech returns we get from nasa are well worth the money.
                          Understatement! The mass majority of medical advances/treatments/cures/technology are off-shoots of our space efforts. If someone wants to still use leeches, moss and bleeding for their cures have at it. Advancements are KEY in every worthy human endeavor.
                          You're right, lets just look at a book to determine how old everything is. No point in trying to figure this stuff out.
                          LMAO!!
                          A general expansion of our knowledge of the universe is never a bad thing. A good deal of modern technology exists as a direct result of the space program driving the need to innovate. Most of the modern technology that we take for granted was based off of technology from Bell Labs and NASA.
                          I just assumed that anyone that went to junior high school in the last 50 years knew this stuff. Heck, it was a big part of our primary school education.
                          Total NASA spending is under 500b since 1958, so about 100 billion less that the defense budget for this year alone. There is absolutely no way of knowing if we would be further ahead if we would have "focused on specific things" since most of the breakthroughs have been invented in response to problems they encountered trying to get things in space.
                          LOL.......weird how that works!

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
                            Tang, dippin dots, satellite tv, GPS, game came that text pictures..... Just a few useful things space exploration has given to us

You're gonna have to repeat yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Encinal View Post
                              Knowledge is an aggregate of societal learning. Obviously humans today are more knowledgeable. Individual intellects however... Capacity to store and use knowledge are no different today than 5000 years ago.
                              ...as evidenced by several that posted above

Comment

If they found a cluster of living cells on that planet some would celebrate "Life on Kepler!!!"

A cluster of cells in a woman's womb - living, eh......not so much.

Comment

Working...
                                X