NASA Discovers Bigger, Older Cousin to Earth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Smell the Glove View Post
    You're right, lets just look at a book to determine how old everything is. No point in trying to figure this stuff out.
    But "they" do look at books to determine how old things are. That's where all the parameters, calculations, models, etc. live to help "them" draw "their" conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
      The fastest manmade object utilizing the slingshot effect managed to achieve .00012 the speed of light (87,000mph).
      Ricky Bobby went 87,000 MPH?

That's insane. Even for Hollywood.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
        I say we ship all the liberals of to newly discovered planet in the habitable zone so they can live really green without us environment polluting folks. What do you guys think?
        ↑↑↑ what he said!!

Comment

How old is the earth, 6 billion years old?

Aliens could have been coming here once every 20,000 years or in other words they could have came here 300,000 times and just missed humankind.

You guys "get" the magnitude of space etc, but seem to not want to understand odds.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
            The fastest manmade object utilizing the slingshot effect managed to achieve .00012 the speed of light (87,000mph).
            Math was never my strong suit but that's a tiny fraction of the speed that, if we could begin to approach, would still take us 1,400 years to get there.

Mind boggling to me.
            Also ming boggling to think we managed to put a guy on the moon 60 years after kitty hawk, then we managed to send something to another planet at 87,000mph, 50 years after that.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post

Aliens could have been coming here once every 20,000 years or in other words they could have came here 300,000 times and just missed humankind.

You guys "get" the magnitude of space etc, but seem to not want to understand odds.
              What's your point? Not to try to find out what's out there? Ever since people became curious about what was beyond what they could see, we have been exploring. Why should that stop at our atmosphere?

Comment

Yes. The magnitude of space is astronomical.

Comment

Originally posted by TimH View Post
                  Yes. The magnitude of space is astronomical.
                  Good science jokes are underrated

Comment

Never tell me the odds.

Sincerely
                    Jean Luc Picard

Comment

Originally posted by sethcros View Post
                      What's your point? Not to try to find out what's out there? Ever since people became curious about what was beyond what they could see, we have been exploring. Why should that stop at our atmosphere?
                      What good does it do?

Comment

A general expansion of our knowledge of the universe is never a bad thing. A good deal of modern technology exists as a direct result of the space program driving the need to innovate. Most of the modern technology that we take for granted was based off of technology from Bell Labs and NASA.

Comment

What good does it do?
                          This is taken from the NASA website.

Humanity's interest in the heavens has been universal and enduring. Humans are driven to explore the unknown, discover new worlds, push the boundaries of our scientific and technical limits, and then push further. The intangible desire to explore and challenge the boundaries of what we know and where we have been has provided benefits to our society for centuries.
                          Human space exploration helps to address fundamental questions about our place in the Universe and the history of our solar system. Through addressing the challenges related to human space exploration we expand technology, create new industries, and help to foster a peaceful connection with other nations. Curiosity and exploration are vital to the human spirit and accepting the challenge of going deeper into space will invite the citizens of the world today and the generations of tomorrow to join NASA on this exciting journey.

If you did not read the above... to sum up, myself and others like me for a long time have gotten a kick out of doing it. (exploring) As we do so it has become harder and harder to do it. We have had to create things to help and those things have help others who have no interest in it at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian77429 View Post

Humanity's interest in the heavens has been universal and enduring. Humans are driven to explore the unknown, discover new worlds, push the boundaries of our scientific and technical limits, and then push further. The intangible desire to explore and challenge the boundaries of what we know and where we have been has provided benefits to our society for centuries.

Human space exploration helps to address fundamental questions about our place in the Universe and the history of our solar system. Through addressing the challenges related to human space exploration we expand technology, create new industries, and help to foster a peaceful connection with other nations. Curiosity and exploration are vital to the human spirit and accepting the challenge of going deeper into space will invite the citizens of the world today and the generations of tomorrow to join NASA on this exciting journey.

If you did not read the above... to sum up, myself and others like me for a long time have gotten a kick out of doing it. (exploring) As we do so it has become harder and harder to do it. We have had to create things to help and those things have help others who have no interest in it at all.

Brah you're trying to explain that to a Space Cadet. He stays out there with Jhill and BT28.

Comment

Originally posted by Smell the Glove View Post
                              A general expansion of our knowledge of the universe is never a bad thing. A good deal of modern technology exists as a direct result of the space program driving the need to innovate. Most of the modern technology that we take for granted was based off of technology from Bell Labs and NASA.
                              Exactly what I said. I'm asking what have we found in space that we can use. Not what we can learn as humans spending trillions exploring. We could have spent the same money but focused on specific things and be further ahead.

Originally posted by Brian77429 View Post

And if they think they find something we could never get to it so it's all just for fun. I'm not knocking anyone for wanting to explore and enjoy. But there should be limits and it is a waste of money.

Comment

Exactly what I said. I'm asking what have we found in space that we can use. Not what we can learn as humans spending trillions exploring. We could have spent the same money but focused on specific things and be further ahead.

And if they think they find something we could never get to it so it's all just for fun. I'm not knocking anyone for wanting to explore and enjoy. But there should be limits and it is a waste of money.
                                Total NASA spending is under 500b since 1958, so about 100 billion less that the defense budget for this year alone. There is absolutely no way of knowing if we would be further ahead if we would have "focused on specific things" since most of the breakthroughs have been invented in response to problems they encountered trying to get things in space.

Comment

Working...
                                X