Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Aggies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About on par with all of his other decisions. I'll never forgive him for running off Bow tie.

Comment

As far as having trouble getting in BS... Its a state school, it ISNT HARD. If you HALF, and I literally mean HALF WAY tried in high school. Your in.... I wish you they would make it harder to get in.

You have college age kids?
      Top 10% in our cy-woods high
      School ain't a picnic.

BP

Comment

Originally posted by catslayer View Post
        Agreed... Want to keep the feelings strong. Limit it to 30,000 undergrad, focus on growing graduate and research programs.

Sorry I know a LOT, I mean a LOT of Old army aggs and many more throughout the ages. IMO the best time to be a part of it was when the school was between 15,000 and 30,000 undergrads. Big enough to be a big school but not oversized.

I was down there as a student 3 years ago... In my opinion it is WAY to big now.

As far as having trouble getting in BS... Its a state school, it ISNT HARD. If you HALF, and I literally mean HALF WAY tried in high school. Your in.... I wish you they would make it harder to get in.

I agree with the above poster. Your last paragraph is a ridiculous statement

Comment

As far as having trouble getting in BS... Its a state school, it ISNT HARD. If you HALF, and I literally mean HALF WAY tried in high school. Your * in... I wish you they would make it harder to get in.
          *You're.

I do agree with you though. No, this isn't Harvard, but fewer and smarter students would simply make that A&M degree more valuable. Lowering A&M's acceptance standards just to get to 80k does no favors for former students.
          Last edited by 30-30; 05-20-2015, 08:22 AM.

Comment

They (top officials) want to be the biggest institution in the state. Let them have at it...

Comment

Originally posted by 30-30 View Post
              It doesn't matter how widely the town has expanded when 70,000 people are trying to get to campus for their 8:00 AM class...
              I would imagine the school would expand as well.... Obviously the classes could not hold that number of students therefore.... Wait for it, Expansion...

Comment

Agreed... Want to keep the feelings strong. Limit it to 30,000 undergrad, focus on growing graduate and research programs.

Sorry I know a LOT, I mean a LOT of Old army aggs and many more throughout the ages. IMO the best time to be a part of it was when the school was between 15,000 and 30,000 undergrads. Big enough to be a big school but not oversized.

I was down there as a student 3 years ago... In my opinion it is WAY to big now.

It may not have been hard to get in when you went, but do a little research before you make a statement like that. They aren't accepting b students with a heart beat. It wasn't easy when I applied. I had to transfer in and I was an all A/B student in high school and very involved with family legacy with one being bear Bryant. I went to a juco and made a 3.85 GPA and then got in to the business school. Now to transfer in you need a 4.0

Comment

The degree you choose, the grades you make, and (most importantly) the work experience you get afterwards have much more to do with your success than if A&M caters to 50k vs 80k students

Comment

Originally posted by 30-30 View Post
                    It doesn't matter how widely the town has expanded when 70,000 people are trying to get to campus for their 8:00 AM class...
                    Thats why you have an 11:30

Comment

Sharp talked about this at Muster in Midland. I don't have a problem with it as long as the students are qualified.

Comment

Originally posted by EastTexasMan View Post
                        Glad I have my degree already. This will just make an A&M degree less valuable, from a BMW to a ford focus.
                        I really dont see how this will make a degree have any less value

Comment

Originally posted by 3DW5 View Post
                          I would imagine the school would expand as well.... Obviously the classes could not hold that number of students therefore.... Wait for it, Expansion...
                          All I'm saying is that they will have to widen just about every road in this town to accommodate 30k more people. You already have to wait through three or four light cycles at all the major intersections during rush hour. Not to mention game weekends.

Comment

Just my opinion, but having more students will not make it a better institution. Bigger, yes, but bigger doesn't always mean better.

Sure, A&M is a state school and shouldn't be compared to the Harvards of the world; however, I used to think it was a bit more prestigious for someone to have gone to A&M or UT over the other state schools. Adding 30K plus more students, will devalue that.

Just a question, but how would you current Aggies feel if your school had a higher acceptance percentage than all the other major state schools; i.e. Texas, UofH and Tech?

I know it sounds bad, but the more students you add, the more it makes a school look like a degree mill.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainDave View Post
                              Just my opinion, but having more students will not make it a better institution. Bigger, yes, but bigger doesn't always mean better.

Sure, A&M is a state school and shouldn't be compared to the Harvards of the world; however, I used to think it was a bit more prestigious for someone to have gone to A&M or UT over the other state schools. Adding 30K plus more students, will devalue that.

Just a question, but how would you current Aggies feel if your school had a higher acceptance percentage than all the other major state schools; i.e. Texas, UofH and Tech?

I know it sounds bad, but the more students you add, the more it makes a school look like a degree mill.
                              I have always had the same logic as you.

Comment

Has it been said that admission standards will be lowered? I haven't heard that.

They currently turn away many qualified applicants every year.

Comment

Working...
                                X