Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bdchorn View Post
    College Station alone
    F-BOMB a bunch of that noise! It's crowded enough here already. Road construction NEVER ends as it is and public transit here will have to be seriously upgraded.

If I wanted to live in Houston, I would have moved to Houston.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainDave View Post
      Like you said, qualified applicants are turned away every year. Well, more of those applicants will be accepted rather than turned away; hence a higher acceptance percentage. Whether you agree with it or not, some people will perceive that as a negative.

In other words, the more people you allow in, the less exclusive it's perceived to be.
      If that's the case, then how do they decide which of the qualified applicants to accept and which to reject? I would hope that the applicants are prioritized by qualifications and that admissions doesn't just randomly choose a certain percentage of those "qualified" applicants to reject. Hence, I don't see how admitting more applicants couldn't at least slightly degrade the average freshman's qualifications.

I agree with your last statement. My thinking might be off base, but regardless, Aggie grads aren't going to be a novelty to potential employers like they were/are when everyone and their mother has a degree from A&M. Though I do understand that the school has been growing for years now, and that the "novelty" of an Aggie grad isn't what it used to be.
      Last edited by 30-30; 05-20-2015, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by catslayer View Post
        Agreed... Want to keep the feelings strong. Limit it to 30,000 undergrad, focus on growing graduate and research programs.

Sorry I know a LOT, I mean a LOT of Old army aggs and many more throughout the ages. IMO the best time to be a part of it was when the school was between 15,000 and 30,000 undergrads. Big enough to be a big school but not oversized.

I was down there as a student 3 years ago... In my opinion it is WAY to big now.

As far as having trouble getting in BS... Its a state school, it ISNT HARD. If you HALF, and I literally mean HALF WAY tried in high school. Your in.... I wish you they would make it harder to get in.
        Ugh!!! You have no idea what you are even saying in your last paragraph. In fact, you are flat out wrong. You are entitled to your opinion though.

Comment

I'm going to go against the grain and say that I am excited about it. I don't see how it devalues a degree. Seeing this town grow and evolve is pretty darn awesome and is helping the local economy in big ways. The expansion of the student body isn't the only thing growing in this town, there are still 10,000 jobs headed this way in relation to the new influenza plant.

Comment

Here's another way to look at it

More students means more money, more professors, more brains, more ideas, more research, more labs, more tools, more technology and on and on and on

It could just as easily boost the value of your degree

Comment

Working...
            X