No announcement yet.

Pistol or revolver while bowhunting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A TBH STI 10mm on a 1911 frame....and add a laser aiming system. Once you see the hogs dark outline, drop the safety, trip the laser and light him up!

Comment

The reality of it is since handguns really suck for killing stuff at least until you get into the really big calibers like 454 Casull and larger don't put a lot of emphasis on caliber. That being said, I prefer to carry one that holds a lot of rounds so for me that means a pistol, typically a Glock 20.

However, the best advice I can offer is pick the one that you will carry, holds a lot of rounds and you shoot well.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndadio View Post
        She's from New York. She can't help it.

I like the spray a semi auto can provide if needed.
        Guys,,,she is correct the first time. On ATF form 4473, under type of firearm, choices are revolver or pistol for handguns.

Comment

Originally posted by whitetailtrail View Post
          Whatever you can shoot best!
          ^^^^This!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SM-Houston View Post
            ^ Best advance
            Advance? I should stop drunk posting.

Comment

Wheel cutter, just like'em.

Comment

Hey Jenn. It boils down to a few things. Which handgun feels most comfortable in your hand, which do you feel most comfortable carrying, and which do you shoot best with?

For a revolver, they are easy to operate and many feel safer carrying them because you have the option of leaving the chamber under the hammer empty. Leaves you with only 5 shots, if it's a six-shooter, but helps those that are a little uneasy carrying to be at ease cause the only way for it to go off is to cock the hammer back, or a hard squeeze on the trigger of a double action.

For a semi-auto, you can carry it without one in the chamber, but then have to remember to pull the slide back in a pinch. But they typically give you more rounds and a faster firing rate if needed.

I personally carry a semi-auto, but that's because I am very comfortable with them. I don't carry it with one chambered unless I feel uneasy about the situation, be it hogs/coyotes in the area or what not. If going to the stand it is in my backpack unchambered, if just out in the woods checking cards at night its on my hip and a round chambered. Usually I carry my Glock 36 cause it's light weight. I'm a good shot with it so in a pinch it will get the job done no problem. On days where weight isn't a factor I carry my fullsize 1911 cause it IS my handgun of choice, it fits my hand really well and I am really good with it.

So what I am trying to say here, is that it is all personal preference. If you are not 100% comfortable in what you are carrying or how, then you need to change your setup. The quickest way to make a bad situation worse is by carrying something you are not familiar or comfortable with. And only YOU can make that call.

And if all else fails, go down to Academy, ask for a Stoeger Stagecoach 12GA without hammers. Small, very light, and guaranteed to change the mind of anything in your immediate proximity. Just be sure to hold on tight if you load it with buckshot.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                  The reality of it is since handguns really suck for killing stuff at least until you get into the really big calibers like 454 Casull and larger don't put a lot of emphasis on caliber. That being said, I prefer to carry one that holds a lot of rounds so for me that means a pistol, typically a Glock 20.

However, the best advice I can offer is pick the one that you will carry, holds a lot of rounds and you shoot well.
                  This is very true! I went though a Dirty Harry S&W 629 stage of my life. I was very disappointed. I shot several pigs, 10 or so, with my 44. None of them must have seen a single Dirty Harry movie, because the ALL ran a LONG ways!!!

That said, it would be something with a lot of bullets, and wouldn't use it unless it was a full charge. I do sometimes carry because it gives me that false warm and fuzzy feeling.... At least it will make a lot of noise, 17 different times.

Comment

Originally posted by oneforthewall View Post
                    Guys,,,she is correct the first time. On ATF form 4473, under type of firearm, choices are revolver or pistol for handguns.
                    Just because the government said it doesn't make it right.

Comment

Working...
                    X