No announcement yet.

Pistol or revolver while bowhunting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunting or not id never go into the woods without a firearm. No telling what you will encounter.

Comment

Originally posted by Ecobeast View Post
      My 1911 .45 stays on my hip when I'm at the lease.
      ^^^ This

Comment

Revolver. That way you leave no evidence in case the hogs start their own investigation and try to find you.

Comment

actually,
          the lady is right and y'all got egg on your face

the correct definition of a pistol is the chamber is part of the barrel.
          so a revolver is not a pistol.

they are both handguns.

Comment

Originally posted by Electrican View Post
            Semi Auto pistol 40cal is what I carry
            X2. It is my everyday carry gun. I shoot it alot and like it

Comment

Originally posted by BeerMe View Post
              Revolver. That way you leave no evidence in case the hogs start their own investigation and try to find you.

It's too early for stupid jokes, I need some coffee.

Comment

I carry an air weight S&W model 37 in 38 cal. It is light and easy to carry. It will do what I want it to do. Now it is not a real heavy weight caliber, but it will do the job. There are very few times that I have needed to use it, but it makes for a good snake killer. I do like a revolver for one reason, it will always work, no questions asked.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndadio View Post
                  She's from New York. She can't help it.

I like the spray a semi auto can provide if needed.
                  Now it all fits together!!

Comment

44 mag for me, revolver that way I do not have to worry about it jamming. If it misfires there is another one behind it.

Comment

I carry a small Sig 1911 .45 semi-auto, S&W .380 semi-auto or a S&W .357 revolver. I don't think there is any real pro/con to either in regards to carrying while bow hunting.

Comment

I carry a taurus judge loaded with .410 birdshot until the snakes hide then glock .40 cal

Comment

I carry an XD sub 9mm the 16 round variety.
                          Last edited by Chad C; 10-06-2014, 09:23 AM.

Comment

ruger lcr 38 sp in my pocket, first 3 shots are loaded with rat/snake shot then what ever round i might have. Glock 19 in my "man purse" cause its always in there. And I always have a rifle stashed in the blind. Anything from .22 lr, 22-250, or ar 10 or ar 15. Just depends on how I am feeling. If i want to shot hogs or I want to shoot tree rats. My main go to is the lcr in my pocket because the closest thing I have had a near injury incident while hunting was with freaken snakes. I know the rat shot wont kill a pig, but i bet it might change its mind with a blast to the face up close. Loud, lots flash, and the little pellets will sting the crap out of the snout. maybe take out an eye if I am lucky.

Comment

The way you handled that snake with the HogLeg, Seems to me to be a natural choice for you to carry a revolver. I carry a 45 HK USP full size in a side holster all the time when out on the ranch as a defensive weapon. In my pack, I have a Ruger SP-101 4" .357 as an offensive weapon for downed/wounded animals. I shoot both very well as they just "fit" me like others have said. If you had to go grab your favorite handgun right now, just think about which one it would be and take that one as it is likely your favorite because you shoot it well.
                              Last edited by SaltwaterSlick; 10-06-2014, 09:23 AM. Reason: tnik figners

Comment

Originally posted by nursejenn View Post
                                It does, does it?! Lived there 18 years, here 15 but I'm more Texan than yankee!
                                My wife is from upstate NY, but has lived here for 14 yrs. First date I took her to my lease and after she helped me fill feeders we went to the creek and started firearm handling 101... after 15 minutes of making sure she knew which end to hold and where the bullet came from she started shooting and to this day has a hard time convincing me that she had never shot before other than her grandpas old shotgun once. Some of them yankee girls can shoot!

I carry my glock 19 with a streamlight TLR-1. I want to be able to light up the trail if needed and see what I'm aiming / shooting at. I considered a different gun with a hand held light but usually walking to or from the stands I've already gotten too much crap in my hands so being able to draw, aim, light up the world and shoot if needed with one hand is very convenient.

Edit to add... Be sure and get a holster for whatever you decide to carry that will allow good retention and quick safe draw. Dont want to spend half a day looking for you pistol that bounced out of a holster off of the 4 wheeler.
                                Last edited by cvanbrunt; 10-06-2014, 09:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X