No announcement yet.

2014 Panhandle Rut/Hunting Report Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not much happening at the beginning of the week on our place. Does and a few 1.5 bucks. Report from those who stayed all week was "seeing deer. No shooters." Out of the three mature bucks I had on camera, the biggest is gone and probably killed by the day hunters across the road who drive around everywhere on the place and dumped a deer carcass in the ditch this week. The other two bucks are still on camera, mainly at night, but are broken all to pieces. One had all his tines broken off on side and then the next night had that whole beam broken off about an inch from the pedicle. Even the small 1.5-2.5 bucks are all broken. I don't think I have a single picture of an intact buck in the last couple of weeks. Tough year to be sure. I can't get back out for two weeks since I'm forced to hunt Hagerman this weekend, , but I guess I'll manage.

Comment

8 from yesterday back. ...hmmm

Comment

Past on him again. He best not come back today. I'm all out of constraint.

Comment

Should have stuck him yesterday and been sleeping in the morning.

Pm sent Brian

Comment

I lost mine a couple days ago when I was with my kids and the above 8 came in and I passed. Kids were begging me to shoot. I should have because I regret not making that memory in the name of management. Never again. Kids are more important than deer.

Comment

Morning movement has been zero for me. Seen some doe in the evening and the mulies seemed to have moved back in the doe anyway. Did see a young mulie bick Friday evening he needs a few years to grow up. No WT bucks at all.

Comment

Lipscomb county didn't do well yesterday. Too hot I think plus being my first time to hunt that place. Its hard to cover 1300 acres of canyons in an afternoon, but I know what to expect next time. My son's boss put him on a big muley yesterday evening but they couldn't close the distance. They are going to try him again today.

Comment

JP, hope he gets it.

Comment

Originally posted by Redraider View Post
                    JP, hope he gets it.
                    Thanks! He's never killed a muley. I hope he does too!

Comment

Wind is blowing hard this afternoon and the temp is dropping like a rock. Hopefully this will get something going. Anyone braving the front?

Comment

2 of our group, Denson and his brother nailed very good bucks this weekend. Denson shot a very nice 8 with a 19" inside spread and his brother, Blake, shot a very good 9 with s split brow tine. Zero does seen though, all bucks, but the hocks are getting really dark on the mature ones and they seem to be looking for some female company. Hopefully Denson will post picks later on.

Comment

Originally posted by kry226 View Post
                          Wind is blowing hard this afternoon and the temp is dropping like a rock. Hopefully this will get something going. Anyone braving the front?
                          if like the last front, tomorrow should be great. Good luck! I'm back to work tomorrow.

Comment

Back home, unfortunately. Watched a nice buck cruise for does yesterday morning but the closest it got was 450 yds per my rangefinder. Other than that, I mostly saw muley does and small bucks if anything at all. To top it off, as I left the ranch, a nice buck spooked along side the road. Oh well, maybe he'll be there next year and spread his genes in the mean time. Doing a pheasant hunt next weekend, and, maybe, I'll deer hunt the following weekend. Looks like I'll blank this year, but I'm ok with that.

Comment

Sounds like everyone had a tough Thanksgiving.

Comment

Originally posted by Redraider View Post
                                Sounds like everyone had a tough Thanksgiving.
                                Tough season.

Comment

Working...
                                X