Pressured Deer Are EASY To Pattern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
    Hey guys, Sorry i mentioned the size of that deer. I know its almost impossible to believe and thats why I have never posted about him before. The actual dimensions distract from the story . It wasnt intended to be about this particiular deer, it was about how I ended up trashing entire seasons chasing one particular deer. I dont blame yall for not believing how big he was. I could drag a dozen folks on here that spent hours pouring over those pictures I guess to defend my honor but that would just result in their honor being slashed.

Encinal, said it best. Sometimes it is just as well not to tell a story that wont be believed anyway. Lets try to get this thread back on hunting pressured deer.
    Thank you. I for one have used your information to pick apart my 900 acre lease to find new spots to hunt.
    Continue with the stories. I enjoy reading them.

Comment

This has got to be the Best I've read here. I thought the Wensels and Mittens we the pros and they are but Steve dang sure in a class with them . Keep it coming

Comment

Originally posted by Grndchecker View Post
        Thank you. I for one have used your information to pick apart my 900 acre lease to find new spots to hunt.
        Continue with the stories. I enjoy reading them.
        Me too ! This thread has got me rethinking my set-ups in Trinity County for next year. We are MLDP, so I can't tramp through the woods until everybody has quit hunting, but there will be boots on the ground shortly after.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
          Thank you Garguy for all your stories and sharing your experience. I sure wish that journal was still around.
          That journal had 20 years of pictures with it. Many of folks I dearly love that are gone on now. The data was just a small part. It was among my most valued possessions. Some of the stories I told on this thread were in it but there were memories of hunting, fishing, trapping, camping, arrowhead hunting. Kids first deer that are grown now. An old mans last fishing trip at 85. Camps that dont exist anymore. I had the foresight to document the end of an era and it was taken from all of us.

Comment

I have really enjoyed your insight and the information on this thread. Thank you for sharing

Comment

I've been deer since 1969 . Back then I did not know what Boone and Crockett was. I'm from east Texas . At that time we did not know what box stands were . We set on ground or found a tree with a fork in the limbs we could nails a platform on . My largest buck is a 154 inch 13 point from south Texas . I hunted there from 1989 to 1995 , eight miles from Aguilleres . I've seen several large deer there and they were way bigger than my largest . I had always wanted to kill a deer with a drop and figured that was best place to do it . In six years of hunting that place 3 to 4 day almost every week I saw one 16 inch 8 with a one inch drop during that time my brother had bought 96 acres in walker county near Pine prairie . Every year from 94 till I got of lease I would hunt there a few times at thanksgiving and Christmas I had no stands there were a couple of abandon boards in trees I could hunt from. Every time I would see very nice deer , I never shot one because of the lease in south Texas . In 97 this became my hunting spot I fed corn in two different spots I installed two box blinds and two tripods . I've seen deer like gar guy speaks of. I have shot at one that had me so excited I could have had a heart attack I missed. I'm not a meat hunter i like to watch and have passed several 8, 9 and one 10 on this place . The third year I hunted full time there we had acorns like I've never seen before . The second week of season I'm hunting the 100 foot wide right of way 500 yards from hill to hill creek in middle at day light I started seeing bucks cruising I saw 4 different big bucks cross the right of way too for on other side of creek for a shot at 8 am I see a doe run out on this side of creek with an 8 right behind her , I had never seen a deer slobbering like that right behind him a 4 and right behind him a 3 they came up hill ran past me and disappeared . Fifteen minutes later they came down hill 15 minutes later they came back and crossed into neighbors place . I watching right of way about 930 I heard thuds on rock road I turn around a buck is on same trail as the other deer took I get my gun on him I see her has a drop on right side before I could shoot he was gone i hunted to 12 and never saw another deer. I did not want to leave but had to get back to Houston . I had a big concrete pour on Monday morning at 5.00 am . The weather changed to steady rain on Monday morning early at 9 o'clock my boss called and asked me what I was doing at work watching it rain . I told him I would rather be hunting he told me to go. At about ten minutes before dark a wide deer walked out of trail I picked up gun shot deer ran across road and stopped I shot again deer ran 20 yards and died . That deer 23 inches outside 10 with 5 1/2 inch drop on right side 2 small drops broke on left . I spent no telling how much money in south Texas and this deer was right there in walker county where I was raised . By the way the next weekend I go back and a 18 inch ten 10 inch 2s, 8 or 9 inch 3s , 6 or 7 inch 4s brows 4 inch black horns follows a doe out same trail , she lays down on edge in grass I watched this buck 20 minutes before she got up and left . This was when walker county was one buck . It's like he knew I would not shoot lord knows I wanted two . Back to the gar guy I love what he teaches us I wish I would have read this 17 or 18 years a go I had my on little paradise with out enough knowledge to get the job done . I hunt in trinity county on some the land that burnt now believe it or not there is a big deer with a drop there he is very smart know one has seen him in daylight last year he would come and eat corn for over an hour at one of my spots I had over 2000 pictures of him sept 27 he was there for 1.15 minutes eating corn last picture neighbor has video of him this year we had pictures of him for 4 years . Please fellow members let's keep this alive I have learned a lot and hopefully I will get the knowledge it will take to harvest one of my four targets

Comment

Originally posted by rgambini View Post
                I've been deer since 1969 . Back then I did not know what Boone and Crockett was. I'm from east Texas . At that time we did not know what box stands were . We set on ground or found a tree with a fork in the limbs we could nails a platform on . My largest buck is a 154 inch 13 point from south Texas . I hunted there from 1989 to 1995 , eight miles from Aguilleres . I've seen several large deer there and they were way bigger than my largest . I had always wanted to kill a deer with a drop and figured that was best place to do it . In six years of hunting that place 3 to 4 day almost every week I saw one 16 inch 8 with a one inch drop during that time my brother had bought 96 acres in walker county near Pine prairie . Every year from 94 till I got of lease I would hunt there a few times at thanksgiving and Christmas I had no stands there were a couple of abandon boards in trees I could hunt from. Every time I would see very nice deer , I never shot one because of the lease in south Texas . In 97 this became my hunting spot I fed corn in two different spots I installed two box blinds and two tripods . I've seen deer like gar guy speaks of. I have shot at one that had me so excited I could have had a heart attack I missed. I'm not a meat hunter i like to watch and have passed several 8, 9 and one 10 on this place . The third year I hunted full time there we had acorns like I've never seen before . The second week of season I'm hunting the 100 foot wide right of way 500 yards from hill to hill creek in middle at day light I started seeing bucks cruising I saw 4 different big bucks cross the right of way too for on other side of creek for a shot at 8 am I see a doe run out on this side of creek with an 8 right behind her , I had never seen a deer slobbering like that right behind him a 4 and right behind him a 3 they came up hill ran past me and disappeared . Fifteen minutes later they came down hill 15 minutes later they came back and crossed into neighbors place . I watching right of way about 930 I heard thuds on rock road I turn around a buck is on same trail as the other deer took I get my gun on him I see her has a drop on right side before I could shoot he was gone i hunted to 12 and never saw another deer. I did not want to leave but had to get back to Houston . I had a big concrete pour on Monday morning at 5.00 am . The weather changed to steady rain on Monday morning early at 9 o'clock my boss called and asked me what I was doing at work watching it rain . I told him I would rather be hunting he told me to go. At about ten minutes before dark a wide deer walked out of trail I picked up gun shot deer ran across road and stopped I shot again deer ran 20 yards and died . That deer 23 inches outside 10 with 5 1/2 inch drop on right side 2 small drops broke on left . I spent no telling how much money in south Texas and this deer was right there in walker county where I was raised . By the way the next weekend I go back and a 18 inch ten 10 inch 2s, 8 or 9 inch 3s , 6 or 7 inch 4s brows 4 inch black horns follows a doe out same trail , she lays down on edge in grass I watched this buck 20 minutes before she got up and left . This was when walker county was one buck . It's like he knew I would not shoot lord knows I wanted two . Back to the gar guy I love what he teaches us I wish I would have read this 17 or 18 years a go I had my on little paradise with out enough knowledge to get the job done . I hunt in trinity county on some the land that burnt now believe it or not there is a big deer with a drop there he is very smart know one has seen him in daylight last year he would come and eat corn for over an hour at one of my spots I had over 2000 pictures of him sept 27 he was there for 1.15 minutes eating corn last picture neighbor has video of him this year we had pictures of him for 4 years . Please fellow members let's keep this alive I have learned a lot and hopefully I will get the knowledge it will take to harvest one of my four targets

I know exactly where you are talking about and in the early 90's it was a definite hot spot in there. David Smith owns a couple thousand acres there next to the game preserve we have hog hunted before. Before they cut gas line along the back side of his place and the game preserve it used to be wild in there!! Some big deer in that country. It went down hill for awhile but seems to be rebounding last few years. I know of two guys hunting monsters in and around pine prairies last year

Comment

Steve, we have 500 acres in Leon county. 400 of it is bottom land pasture and mainly open but backs up to the keechi Creek wma. I've told you a little about it on here in the past. Well, we have had 6 trail cams running for a year. When the water got high, we got a couple cameras out of there and put one up on a fence line about 100 yards from our barn which is where you drive into the front gate. So, the traffic there is fairly heavy with Cowboys checking and feeding their cattle, water company, construction traffic, etc. Well, that camera has the best deer on it of all the rest. It's what I would call a high pressure area or high traffic zone. I laughed as you had been talking about this one here and we set it there not even thinking about it, it was just a result of not having anywhere else to put it.

Comment

Originally posted by rgambini View Post
                    Good story. I have a big three year old this year with a big ol drop tine. He shed his horns last week and i sure was glad! Cant wait to see him next year.

Comment

There are good deer on this place. There are 5 of us on the place I have killed the biggest a 147 ten the year before the fire. He probably would have made 150 he had broke a G5 of five years ago I shot at a buck with my 7 stw hit a beauty bush and skinned him up on his brisket , two years later I start seeing this 8 that is built like earl Campbell 20 inch 6 inch point s 30 inches of mass 2 years ago I get a picture of the left side he has the scar . Fattest deer I have ever seen . I have had him at 20 yard several times it's like he knows it's me and he's ok. He has been safe because as you said earlier you should not focus on one deer there's a buck I call scar that has no hair on his left knee for about 6 inches I have pictures of him at 2. He's an 8 , 16 the next year no pictures the next pictures about 20 wide 13 points 3 brow couple 1 inch kickers next year he's got 5 brows and 10 points 4s were weak 8or 9 threes 12 inch twos I had him in grass at 150 can see head and white spot too risky he was with doe last year he was 13 only had 3 brows this year he is on the other side of a high fence . Every year I would see earl after thanks giving I have not seen a legal buck so you are right do not set your sights on one buck keep your options opem

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post

Man those are some NICE bucks!!
                        x2 hosses!

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                          Hey guys, Sorry i mentioned the size of that deer. I know its almost impossible to believe and thats why I have never posted about him before. The actual dimensions distract from the story . It wasnt intended to be about this particiular deer, it was about how I ended up trashing entire seasons chasing one particular deer. I dont blame yall for not believing how big he was. I could drag a dozen folks on here that spent hours pouring over those pictures I guess to defend my honor but that would just result in their honor being slashed.

Encinal, said it best. Sometimes it is just as well not to tell a story that wont be believed anyway. Lets try to get this thread back on hunting pressured deer.
                          You have NOTHING to be sorry for sir! I hope you continue spreading your knowledge and telling your stories. I've been taking notes and no doubt I'll be a better hunter because of it. Thank You!

Comment

Originally posted by cwill View Post
                            You have NOTHING to be sorry for sir! I hope you continue spreading your knowledge and telling your stories. I've been taking notes and no doubt I'll be a better hunter because of it. Thank You!
                            x2 Heck, I'm sorry GG felt compelled to apologize. That was total non-sense. Some of us appreciate his willingness to offer up decades of experience for our benefit.

Comment

Originally posted by J&M Hamilton10 View Post
                              Gar guy has backing with a lot of pics and stories to go with them of big mature deer. That's the difference from him saying it and someone else. But I for one wouldn't question you if you posted that prob wouldn't even post anything. I'm with jogger on this to much hate and jealously if you don't believe, go to a different thread.
                              Once again I never called him a liar! Simply stated a deer of that description is hard to believe. Hel| gar guy even said so himself!

Comment

Originally posted by bone View Post
                                Once again I never called him a liar! Simply stated a deer of that description is hard to believe. Hel| gar guy even said so himself!
                                You cant win, so dont worry about it. No matter what, sombody is getting butt hurt around here. It's the interweb for goodness sake. Everyone has an opinion but some cant help themselves when they see an opinion that is different than their's or their buddy's. Great bucks btw, Double A. Looking forward to the next story.

Comment

Working...
                                X