Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

congrats everyone

Comment

A question for some of the more experienced trackers...what should my expectations be on my pup this season? She is knocking out the easy trails but what should I expect of her on the bad shots and hard tracks this year? Just wondering where she should be at on her first season. Thanks and appreciate all the help and great info yall have shared with me!

Comment

Dang...A little steep

[ATTACH]747835[/ATTACH]

Comment

Glad I got mine for so cheap now [emoji16]

Comment

Originally posted by bloodtrailer28 View Post
            A question for some of the more experienced trackers...what should my expectations be on my pup this season? She is knocking out the easy trails but what should I expect of her on the bad shots and hard tracks this year? Just wondering where she should be at on her first season. Thanks and appreciate all the help and great info yall have shared with me!
            Hard question to answer. Like asking when should my kid learn to walk.

My dog got off to what I think was a fast start. At the end of her first deer season (She was nine months old) she ran a track, poor shot, very little blood 9/10 of a mile and recovered a live standing doe. Not saying that is typical or not. It is hard to compare to other trackers because I have never been on the trail with another. I did put her in a competition one year and got beat by a poodle.

I would say since my Beagle got her first, she is very driven.

Comment

Two tracks today. First one we tracked 800 yards...found two specks of blood at 615 yards. I thought maybe we were pushing the buck. The hunters decided to call it off because we were about 600 yards deep on the neighboring ranch. The dog worked great but I think they'll see that deer again.

Went straight to another track up the road. Less than perfect bow shot had good blood for about 100 yards then nothing.
              He ended up about 400 yards from where they shot him. Little low and forward. Looked like one lung and the opposite leg was broken.

Comment

Congrats Sika!! Sounds like some tough tracks and good dog work.

Comment

Wife shot her a doe this morning and we put our pup Rosie on it. She did a great job on her first real track. It was a nice blood trail, with lots of blood. Once we got her on trail she did great, found deer while we were still on blood trail. Was very happy with the work she did.

Comment

In my mind I had decided I wanted a lacy dog, but I think I've been talked out of it. We live out of town but I have 3 kids and lots of friends over with kids. The breeder I talked to said he wouldn't take the chance on setting off the prey instinct on a friends kid.

I'm in the market for a good tracking breed still. Maybe Jack Russell maybe jagd maybe something else.

Back to square one I guess.

Comment

Beagle. would be great around kids and make great tracking dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Shallowater View Post
                        In my mind I had decided I wanted a lacy dog, but I think I've been talked out of it. We live out of town but I have 3 kids and lots of friends over with kids. The breeder I talked to said he wouldn't take the chance on setting off the prey instinct on a friends kid.

I'm in the market for a good tracking breed still. Maybe Jack Russell maybe jagd maybe something else.

My JRT is the best cuddle dog for a little kid I've had yet. One thing is for sure he'll tire the kids out before he tires out!

Comment

My 2 year old cinch got his first of the season on opening day. Put him on another on last Saturday. We had good blood at first but then nothing that we could see. He went in and out of 3 different thickets. He crossed a fence going into a pasture. I though he was just running around at that point. I went where he went under and there was a tiny spec of blood. We were 600 uds from the shot at that point. I let him go. He went into another gnarly thicket that I couldn't get into unless on hands and knees. I waited in the pasture for him to point on the Garmin. 3 minutes later I saw the deer bust out of the thicket running across the lease road through another pasture. 2 minutes later she was filled by him with his head down. That's when I pulled him off. She didn't appear to be hurt that bad. Here was his first this year though.

Comment

Got the pup on another trail the other morning. Buddy made a decent shot on him and got one lung and the liver. Let him sit for about 2 hours then dropped the dog. Blood trail was pretty bad for the first 50 yards or so ( we only saw 3 drops the entire time) then we came across the arrow. After the arrow came out blood trail was awesome and she went straight to it. Probably 100 yard track and would have found it without her but would have taken some time to sort it out. 5th find of the year for her.

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoodkiller View Post
                              My 2 year old cinch got his first of the season on opening day. Put him on another on last Saturday. We had good blood at first but then nothing that we could see. He went in and out of 3 different thickets. He crossed a fence going into a pasture. I though he was just running around at that point. I went where he went under and there was a tiny spec of blood. We were 600 uds from the shot at that point. I let him go. He went into another gnarly thicket that I couldn't get into unless on hands and knees. I waited in the pasture for him to point on the Garmin. 3 minutes later I saw the deer bust out of the thicket running across the lease road through another pasture. 2 minutes later she was filled by him with his head down. That's when I pulled him off. She didn't appear to be hurt that bad. Here was his first this year though.
                              Congrats man and good looking dog!

Comment

Originally posted by Shallowater View Post

Havent been around a ton of Lacys but the ones I have were just fine with kids. Maybe someone with some more experience with them will give you some more insight.

Comment

Working...
                                X