No announcement yet.

TBH BLOOD DOG TRACKING, TRAINING, & RECOVERY Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting start to this tracking season of 2017.

Drove to NW corner of Kansas. I didn't know season was open. Muzzle loader shot. Bone at impact site. Hunters found blood circling through corn field. Jumped buck. Didn't see buck or blood exit corn.

If you're like me you're thinking - "Bone on ground - Cha-Ching!" But, tracking laws in Kansas make that a whole different ball game. 1) Dog on hand held lead (actually says "hand held"). 2) Can carry season legal weapon but only during legal shooting light.

Gotta get lucky. Find deer, deer remain stationary, hunter put down deer. It's happened before.

Long story short, we quit at dark (1/4 - 1/2 mile) without finding deer or bloody beds because Annie worked so much slower dragging a fat, bald-headed anchor through a corn field and across canyons. Plus, you can't give the dog room to work, I don't know how lead guys deal with this.

Picked it back up in the morning. Found 2 abandoned bloody beds (of course, 28 hrs post shot) about 3/4 - 1 mile. Quit.

If I do anymore on lead, I gotta get in better shape. I normally stand around and let Annie work it out, but on lead, I gotta go where she goes. Whew!

No more broke legs on lead for me!

Comment

I think I would quite tracking if we had to be on lead just to avoid a heart attack and that don't even sound fun at my age and weight.

Comment

^LMAO^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a 13 month old Lacey. I started working with her when she was 12 weeks old. I have generally been impressed by her ability to follow mock trails along with the three real critters she has found. All the critters were less than 100 yards and none of them were difficult for me to track, but she has also worked mock trails up to 800 yards. Nothing more than 3hrs old. On the two most recent mock trails. I will say she seems to have been working more with her head up and one time cut most of the trail short when she winded the piece of hide I left at the end. Not sure if I should be worried about that.

My training question arose today when she just quit on me shortly into a mock trail I laid on a large vacant lot here in town. She followed the trail for about 150 yards and just gave up and ran back to the truck. It is fairly hot and there were quite a few grass burs, but I have seen her shrug off much worse. We took a little break, and I gave her some water. But she just wouldn't get back to it. Rather than push the issue, I just packed her up and headed home. Is that the right thing to do with a young dog, or should I just walk her through the trail to find the reward? I am worried she is getting lazy or disinterested as she gets older. Interested to hear what folks think.

Comment

IMO, should always finish the track with them. I wouldn't worry about it, they have off days just like us. Pay attention to what the wind is gonna do later in the day when you plan on running your dog. I prefer to use shorter lines and let age longer then 3 hours, should be able to let stand overnight at that age. Again everyone does things different, just have to know what works the best for your dog and your schedule!! It's almost time... good luck

Comment

Originally posted by dustinm View Post
              IMO, should always finish the track with them. I wouldn't worry about it, they have off days just like us. Pay attention to what the wind is gonna do later in the day when you plan on running your dog. I prefer to use shorter lines and let age longer then 3 hours, should be able to let stand overnight at that age. Again everyone does things different, just have to know what works the best for your dog and your schedule!! It's almost time... good luck

I'd agree. A year old dog is still a young dog, you should always finish the mock track and make your pup think it found it, giving great praise at the end. I personally think most people ruin young dogs overworking mock trails and it becomes boring. Keep the tracks exciting and fun. I know it's fun having a new pup and watching them work but I try and instill confidence and excitement in the pups tracks.

Comment

I couldn't imagine tracking remi on a lead. She moves around a lot

Comment

BlueDevil - I would first suggest making sure conditions, weather or grassburs, are in the pups favor. Personally, I would have quit also, but finished with simple obedience that I know she would get right, only to end on positive note.

I would suggest a hunk of liver, or can dog food, or something delicious other than ordinary food, at end of trail. Something that involves you, i.e. opening wrapped liver or can of food. I know hides are popular, but I've never used them. Point is, find what turns her crank. Delicious food is seldom a miss with dogs. Just make sure she can't eat it without you.

As far as short cutting trail, use less blood, scatter drops (I do mean drops), farther apart, and lay trail before dark then run first thing in AM. Her behavior demostrates she's getting plenty of scent. Make her work with the wind. But first find what turns her crank.

Comment

I shot a doe today & let my piper track it. She's 9 months old. This is her first real track been running mock tracks all summer. The doe ran 168 yards. There was a tiny spot of blood under the feeder. I didn't walk I wanted piper to get on it undisturbed. When I put her on it there was only speaks of blood every now & then. About half way in the blood started really good. It was never a red carpet. She did pretty awesome for her first track.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

TBH BLOOD DOG TRACKING, TRAINING, & RECOVERY Thread

Short work of one Saturday. Shot looked good but some guacamole on the ground. Guide backed off and we waited 2 hrs. Dogs went 65 yards to a dead deer. Always amazes me that they pick up 6 months later after resting all summer. Sadie is getting up there in age have to start running her with her offspring to teach them the ropes, had to have her spayed due to come cancer but she hasn't lost a lick or slowed down...

Jerryg

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Jerryg View Post
                          Short work of one Saturday. Shot looked good but some guacamole on the ground. Guide backed off and we waited 2 hrs. Dogs went 65 yards to a dead deer. Always amazes me that they pick up 6 months later after resting all summer. Sadie is getting up there in age have to start running her with her offspring to teach them the ropes, had to have her spayed due to come cancer but she hasn't lost a lick or slowed down...

Jerryg

Hell of a buck Jerry and congrats on the recovery! I enjoy seeing the dogs work as much as I enjoy killing a good one.

Comment

Congrats JERRY

Comment

I have a couple of puppies I'm working with this year.
                              A totally insane Jagdterrier and a lacy I got from Sika

Other than being a little growly the Lacy puppy has been rock solid here at the farm and found about a dozen animals so far.
                              I took him to west Texas this weekend to work him in some unfamiliar country and he found a no blood pig in a straight down rain Friday night then sorted out a buck my grandson shot that ran a couple of circles in the brush that really confused Beau but I let him sort it out and he found the buck after several going back and starting over.
                              I was really impressed with him backing up to the last blood on his own without me having to take him back to it.
                              I believe by the first of the year he will have a hundred or so tracks under his belt and be a solid dog.

I don't know what the deal is with me and growly dogs. barley was the same way until she go old and fat

Comment

I had a jagd dog when I first started tracking. Good dog but a little off in the head. Dog was Not afraid of anything and a terrier, non stop!

Comment

Working...
                                X