TBH BLOOD DOG TRACKING, TRAINING, & RECOVERY Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChargerServices View Post
    I'm not sure how I could be any more open about it. It's a high bred dog that has a great nose. I have called the "experts that have found hundreds of deer" and their dogs were not worth a ****. Just trying to help out and get my dog some exposure. I don't train her for fun. I train her to run blood tracks and she's 1/1.
    If I were you and I had a young pup, it's all about training them now. I wouldn't wait for calls or advertise. I would find a ranch or hunting operation near by and ask if you can have a hide or two and legs to train with and just have around for her to chew with that until you go hunting. Then take you pup on anything that you hunt if it falls in its tracks collar up like its the real thing and let her pull on it. Training is part of making a deer dog but I feel having them around deer and deer smells is just as important. I manage ranches so when my pup was young up to now he was around deer almost every day of the season and mock tracking well shot deer and tracking seriously on poorly shot deer every week of mld season. Guess what I'm getting at is have deer smells in front of your pup as much as possible, and work on tracking when you can. Best of luck on training

Comment

Originally posted by Top Of Texas View Post
      Ummmm...so you belittle those who have recovered hundreds and who also graciously offer their expertise to beginners and who have learned many lessons only gained through first hand experience. Then you go on to claim superiority of your 1 find pup. That's pretty naive.

Don't believe I'll be recommending you to anyone.

I simply offered to help if anyone needed it. No gas money or anything. Who did I belittle? Do you think this is my first tracking dog or are you guessing that I have no experience? Claim superiority? Didn't everyone's dog start on their first deer or did they just skip to 100. I put a lot of time and effort into training. My 1 find pup is better than no dog at all don't ya think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Soooo this conversation is happening... understand and appreciate. Dutch is the youngest of my crew and thought this would be a good track for him. I told the hunter of my experienced dog dying last year and I'm working some new young dogs. He didn't care and understood our fee. When we got to the property he was already changed into his work uniform.. EMT. I don't charge vets, first responders or kids under 12. Just my deal, I'm always honest, that's the least we can be after hearing a story on the phone and then with your own eyes and your dogs deciphering what really went down on there shot

Comment

Originally posted by Msgreenga View Post
          Good job Dutch and Dustin is Dutch photoshopped in can’t belaive that guy got close to him

He loves you

Comment

Dude, you need to take a deep breath.
            Nobody is belittling anyone.
            Some folks on here are rookies, some are seasoned. A few have had tracking dogs since before there was one behind every Cedar bush in Texas.
            Lots of good information here, if you can see the forest for the trees.

Comment

I'm not sure how I could be any more open about it. It's a high bred dog that has a great nose. I have called the "experts that have found hundreds of deer" and their dogs were not worth a ****. Just trying to help out and get my dog some exposure. I don't train her for fun. I train her to run blood tracks and she's 1/1.
              If you want to train your dog you need to be up front that it's in training because there is a BIG difference between trained seasoned dogs and pups in training and it does not matter what breed or breeding. When you called the experts and they they couldn't find it was because you didn't call a good dog man with good dogs or you were not honest about the shot and info you gave the tracker. And if you put much value on your dog and the time you spend with them and training them you would understand why we charge what we charge. 1/1 doesn't mean **** to a real tracker.

Comment

Good job Dustin that's what I like to see

Comment

Originally posted by dwayne View Post
                  If you want to train your dog you need to be up front that it's in training because there is a BIG difference between trained seasoned dogs and pups in training and it does not matter what breed or breeding. When you called the experts and they they couldn't find it was because you didn't call a good dog man with good dogs or you were not honest about the shot and info you gave the tracker. And if you put much value on your dog and the time you spend with them and training them you would understand why we charge what we charge. 1/1 doesn't mean **** to a real tracker.

Once again I didn't claim to be a "real tracker" like you. When I get my dogs seasoned and finished I still won't need to charge. I'm doing this because I enjoy it. I wouldn't take her out if I wasn't confident in her ability. Your right though I called a non dog man and was dishonest about my shot [emoji1305]

Comment

Originally posted by BrokenJ View Post
                    If I were you and I had a young pup, it's all about training them now. I wouldn't wait for calls or advertise. I would find a ranch or hunting operation near by and ask if you can have a hide or two and legs to train with and just have around for her to chew with that until you go hunting. Then take you pup on anything that you hunt if it falls in its tracks collar up like its the real thing and let her pull on it. Training is part of making a deer dog but I feel having them around deer and deer smells is just as important. I manage ranches so when my pup was young up to now he was around deer almost every day of the season and mock tracking well shot deer and tracking seriously on poorly shot deer every week of mld season. Guess what I'm getting at is have deer smells in front of your pup as much as possible, and work on tracking when you can. Best of luck on training
                    Thanks! I have been working her on bloom tracks and hide for about 6 months. Drags are coming easy for her even over long periods of time. I will be shooting a bunch of deer this season for her. Nothing is better than exposure. I saw above a six month old pup made a good track. I didn't post to start an argument but people sure do like to attack you for trying to help out.

Comment

I've been dropping them for awhile, I knew which one of my dogs I needed to drop for that situation. Wish everyone luck young or old and happy tracking!!

Comment

Thanks! I have been working her on bloom tracks and hide for about 6 months. Drags are coming easy for her even over long periods of time. I will be shooting a bunch of deer this season for her. Nothing is better than exposure. I saw above a six month old pup made a good track. I didn't post to start an argument but people sure do like to attack you for trying to help out.

Sika, tip o Tex, and Dwayne are all three seasoned trackers. Professionals who offer a quality service for a fair price. Unfortunately the market is flooded with weekend waroirs who claim to be professional trackers with fancy websites and FB pages. when in all reality their rookies with pretty dogs posing with big deer. They deal with this constantly and its only getting worse. So if you have dealt with a @&$)! tracker before it was most likely a poser who lied about his experience. Go through each page of this thread and watch how many trackers are year to year with post. You will find the three names above season to season with solid work. Others come and go

So with that said offering a service to practice adds to the list. If I were you I would focus on every animal you and your friends are able to harvest and hold off on taking calls. Get 25 or 30 animals in front of your pup and figure your dogs style and learn with her. Don't forget your a team don't sit in the truck and wait for her to find or bay. Be actively looking for ways to get your dog in the best position. That's using your gps, understanding your gps( I'm still learning mine and have had it 6 years) the wind, terrain, your eyes, your ears, and common sense. I personally have help my dog on a few occasions get back on a lost trail by google earthing the area and looking for the most viable option for the deer when the trail ran cold. Picking up blood or getting him down wind of the deer hundreds of yards from the last sign.

Comment

Thank You Ethan very well put.

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post
                            If you are going to do this, please be upfront that you are just looking for training opportunities for your dog and if it's a trophy deer that matters to the hunter and really needs to be recovered, they should call on the services of an experienced dog.
                            People are tempted to call the free or cheap tracking dogs because they do not understand the difference between a puppy that has found 1 animal and a veteran dog that has found hundreds.
                            When a young dog shows up and doesn't find the deer, it just makes things even tougher for the next dog.
                            well said maam.

That's the main reason I have never offered my dog to the public for tracking. I would hate for someone to lose their buck of a lifetime or hell just a nice buck because my dog wasn't a seasoned vet. Have noticed their has been a few advertising here with year old dogs ect and people vouching for them. Sorry but imo that's not the ones I would be calling if I had a buck down. Not when there is plenty of people who have some amazing dogs that would have a much better chance at finding it and do it for a living. That being said I have 100% confidence in my pup but still don't want to take that chance. She's found 35-40 animals and has only lost one during that time.

Comment

Charger, go find you a hunting operation and offer to show up every weekend and work for them for free.
                              I had a fellow come out several weekends last year to get his dog some work.

Comment

Just ignore the negative comments bro. Thought you were pretty upfront with your initial statement.

You mentioned you wanted to help track free of charge. A lot of people want to charge a fortune and want to be the only ones doing it..
                                Some people just want to step on other people for no apparent reason..
                                Last edited by RiverRat00; 10-17-2017, 08:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X