Strava cycling app for TBH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good job!

I have yet to do Mission Trails...every one scared me from going by myself. But the more I ride the paved trails of SA....the more I realize as long as I go in daylight hours, I will be fine. There's enough traffic on the trails that the crazies can't do anything too bad

The Canondale may visit those trails this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary View Post
      Good job!

I have yet to do Mission Trails...every one scared me from going by myself. But the more I ride the paved trails of SA....the more I realize as long as I go in daylight hours, I will be fine. There's enough traffic on the trails that the crazies can't do anything too bad

The Canondale may visit those trails this weekend.
      Thx...

The Mission Trails are great. They don't have the fraction of the people who hit Leon Creek but there are still plenty of people walking, running or biking the trails. Not to mention every time I go there are the guys working to tend the trails via lawn mowers, pesticides or trash pick up. It's worth the drive.

Comment

Anybody talk to Clark? He did not ride this week. Hope everything is alright with him

Comment

Originally posted by aggie2000tx View Post
          Anybody talk to Clark? He did not ride this week. Hope everything is alright with him
          Not I... i think he rides to and from work so maybe he was on vacation this week?

Comment

Would have been great to ride this morning. It was 74deg when I stepped out with winds still out of the NE.

Comment

People are riding some serious distances today. Good riding y'all.

Comment

Originally posted by In-Yo-Grill View Post
                Would have been great to ride this morning. It was 74deg when I stepped out with winds still out of the NE.
                Yeah, it was plum chilly for the first half hour of daylight this morning!

Comment

Originally posted by TxCazador View Post
                  Yeah, it was plum chilly for the first half hour of daylight this morning!
                  Yes it was NICE but the roads got pretty busy out here where we are camping, i gave up...

Comment

I'm curious about something that I see quite frequently and will use today's sighting as an example.

I am riding behind a guy (only because it is too crowded to pass for a bit) that is obviously in shape with great calves. You can tell he works out and is fit, but like others I have seen...he either doesn't know about gears or I don't understand the riding technique. And since there are no stupid questions...LOL

I think I ride effectively....I use my gears as needed and shift depending on the path I am currently on. This guy...as I have seen several others do, is pedaling 3 times to my one and is much slower than me. He is pedaling so dang fast and going no where!

Is there a reason people get in high gear and waste all that energy.... is this a technique that I am not aware of? If it was one or two people I see...I would think they are not aware of how to shift. But, I see this frequently....so wondering if it is something "I" don't know?

And on a different note....I have sent Jakroo an email on getting matching shorts for the top. I need new shorts...or I need more padding is the real reason (LOL). Let me know if anyone else is interested.

Comment

Cadence all depends on the individual, typically a 90 cadence is what is generally accepted as normal. Pushing harder gears at slower speed causes more energy to be used and puts more stress on joints.

On the flip side turning a very high cadence is hard on knees also so you want to find a happy median

Comment

Mary I think that the guys are peddling to get their cadence down. I have been told on a road bike you should have 90-100 peddle revolutions in a minute. I was told by the bike shop that I just got my new road bike from that I needed to work on that 90-100. He timed me and I only had 60-70 so I need to increase. The bike shop said it needed to be that fast to efficiently shift and at that cadence the road bike rode better.

I would possibly be in for the shorts as well. I would also be interested in another jersey as well
                        Last edited by aggie2000tx; 08-02-2014, 09:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by centex85 View Post
                          Cadence all depends on the individual, typically a 90 cadence is what is generally accepted as normal. Pushing harder gears at slower speed causes more energy to be used and puts more stress on joints.

On the flip side turning a very high cadence is hard on knees also so you want to find a happy median
                          I "feel like" I have the happy medium....I'm not slowly peddling, but as mentioned before "feel like" effective riding. These people are spinning the pedals so fast and going so slow. Looks weird to me.

Mary I think that the guys are peddling to get their cadence down. I have been told on a road bike you should have 90-100 peddle revolutions in a minute. I was told by the bike shop that I just got my new road bike from that I needed to work on that 90-100. He timed me and I only had 60-70 so I need to increase. The bike shop said it needed to be that fast to efficiently shift and at that cadence the road bike rode better.

I would possibly be in for the shorts as well. I would also be interested in another jersey as well
                          Well, dang...maybe I am the one who is riding wrong. I don't think I would enjoy riding the way I see them riding...looks slow and over use of energy

I'll post up info when I hear back from Jakroo.

Comment

I'm curious about something that I see quite frequently and will use today's sighting as an example.

I am riding behind a guy (only because it is too crowded to pass for a bit) that is obviously in shape with great calves. You can tell he works out and is fit, but like others I have seen...he either doesn't know about gears or I don't understand the riding technique. And since there are no stupid questions...LOL

I think I ride effectively....I use my gears as needed and shift depending on the path I am currently on. This guy...as I have seen several others do, is pedaling 3 times to my one and is much slower than me. He is pedaling so dang fast and going no where!

Is there a reason people get in high gear and waste all that energy.... is this a technique that I am not aware of? If it was one or two people I see...I would think they are not aware of how to shift. But, I see this frequently....so wondering if it is something "I" don't know?

And on a different note....I have sent Jakroo an email on getting matching shorts for the top. I need new shorts...or I need more padding is the real reason (LOL). Let me know if anyone else is interested.
                            Good question! I've wondered as well...

I "feel like" I have the happy medium....I'm not slowly peddling, but as mentioned before "feel like" effective riding. These people are spinning the pedals so fast and going so slow. Looks weird to me.

Well, dang...maybe I am the one who is riding wrong. I don't think I would enjoy riding the way I see them riding...looks slow and over use of energy

I'll post up info when I hear back from Jakroo.
                            I'd be in for a jersey!

Mary, i wear Performance bicycle brand with gel... they're awesome. I've tried several other brands and theirs were the best I found and not a terrible price...

Comment

I'm in for shorts

Comment

I went to a place today that you guys would like....although, I had to wave the white flag and turn around...for a couple reasons. First and foremost, I took the wrong bike. I had read it was paved, and it is...but it is much more geared toward the mountain bike and I was on the road bike.

It was a bit of a warning for the ride to come when I get to the trailhead....look at the sign to see (bottom right)

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3(1).JPG
Views:	1
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	24319454

Then make about a dozen turns on the pedal to see

Name:	photo 2(4).JPG
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	24319455

Not sure how many of you know this....but I have a love for snakes...NOT!

I did see one, but that was not the issue. The paved path is smaller than the other in the San Antonio Greenbelt system. It is not kept as clean....still not the problem.

This trail goes very remote and there are not many people out there at all. If you have a problem, you could be out there by yourself for quite some time. I didn't see anyone else on the trail except for 4 miles in when I decided I needed to wave the white flag. I talked to a couple for a few minutes while trying to determine the trail ahead on map. The elevation climb (or drop, depending on direction going) was pretty steep. I took this picture, but no matter how hard I tried, I could not capture the depth. It was STEEP!!!

Name:	photo 1(4).JPG
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	24319456

I did 4 of these (walking the bike....doing those steep switchbacks with clip ins is just asking for a broke leg!)

Anyway, I had to finally give up....something I do not like to do!, and go back to San Antonio to finish my ride.

I want to give it another try because it is such a cool place, but will have to find someone to go out there with me.....and take the other bike!

You guys should check it out if ever in the area. It's definitely different.

Comment

Working...
                                X