No announcement yet.

Texas public lands under attack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok people, what we need is more of what Froggy is giving us, opinions and ideas.

I think it's becoming quickly apparent that we are going to have to have a meeting with our rangers office at the least.

Our first idea is that if camping is going to be allowed, that it be within a certain distance from the hiking trails, like 50 yds or less. The concern is that you must be 150 yards from structures and campsites. How do we do this at 5 am when we don't know where the makeshift campsites are?

Rather than argue, give us something constructive: ideas of compromise.

Comment

Originally posted by huntinfool View Post
      What this is saying is you no longer have to camp in the campgrounds. They can now camp anywhere within the boundaries. Including under your stand location. If your ok with this then you need not do anything more.
      But if this doesn't sit well with you, join us in trying to make a difference or at least a compromise.
      Right. I said you could already camp anywhere on LBJ. Your research proves that. I don't think they should prohibit camping during deer season. I DO agree that everyone should wear orange during deer season, whether hunting or not.

Didn't mean to argue, just have a slightly different opinion. But I, by no means, think your opinion should not be heard and addressed when new rules are made. Again, thanks for posting this so that people who would like the rules changed (or kept the same) can have their voice heard.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironman View Post
        WTH? Is the National Forest in Texas that different from the NF in the western states? Colorado doesn't close other activities in the NF, just because it's a hunting season. They don't designate campers to a certain area. They don't make hikers or bikers or horseback riders wear orange during hunting seasons. I don't get what you guys are afraid of here.

Texas has squat for NF compared to most western states, and believe me, those states have more bunny huggers than Texas ever will. And guess what? It hasn't hurt hunting one iota!
        I think the orange is a bit more necessary just because of the relatively small acreage in Texas. The national forests/grasslands in Texas do not come close to the size in Western states, and have a much higher concentration of hunters.

Comment

[QUOTE=Ironman;8518064

Texas has squat for NF compared to most western states[/QUOTE]

Exactly. There is very little. Plus the western states don't have the same rules our lands have, nor do they have a city with 4million+ people within an hours drive.

I can see this doesn't affect you in Florida, what I don't understand is why you would care that we are concerned with losing the public lands here.
          We are concerned and are going to try and do something about it.

Comment

Originally posted by JustinJanow View Post
            I think the orange is a bit more necessary just because of the relatively small acreage in Texas. The national forests/grasslands in Texas do not come close to the size in Western states, and have a much higher concentration of hunters.
            Lol! Colorado has 4 different rifle seasons, most lasting just days, because of all the hunters.

Comment

That's no lie. This forest gets crowded during season. There have been times that I've seen 15 trucks at each service road gate, plus trucks lining the roads. To the point that I've only had one stand location marked that didn't have a vehicle at it. Not to mention it sounds like WW3 at times, especially near the lake with duck hunters.

Comment

Lol! Colorado has 4 different rifle seasons, most lasting just days, because of all the hunters.
                I just said concentrations, not sheer numbers. You can rifle hunt in colorado and get so far away that you'll never see a soul. Not so in Texas, at least where I've hunted.

Comment

Originally posted by AJMag View Post
                  Ok people, what we need is more of what Froggy is giving us, opinions and ideas.

I think it's becoming quickly apparent that we are going to have to have a meeting with our rangers office at the least.

Our first idea is that if camping is going to be allowed, that it be within a certain distance from the hiking trails, like 50 yds or less. The concern is that you must be 150 yards from structures and campsites. How do we do this at 5 am when we don't know where the makeshift campsites are?

Rather than argue, give us something constructive: ideas of compromise.
                  150 yards from structures and designated campgrounds, not random campsites.

Comment

I just said concentrations, not sheer numbers. You can rifle hunt in colorado and get so far away that you'll never see a soul. Not so in Texas, at least where I've hunted.
                    That is SO not the case! Hence so many seasons.

Comment

Right. I said you could already camp anywhere on LBJ. Your research proves that. I don't think they should prohibit camping during deer season. I DO agree that everyone should wear orange during deer season, whether hunting or not.

Didn't mean to argue, just have a slightly different opinion. But I, by no means, think your opinion should not be heard and addressed when new rules are made. Again, thanks for posting this so that people who would like the rules changed (or kept the same) can have their voice heard.
                      Still wrong. LBJ had the order that restricted camping to campsites only. That ended on Feb. 1 2014. Now you can camp anywhere.

I'm tired of arguing.

Don't do a thing. Your woods will always be there for you to use as those who are willing to stand up and voice their opinions say you can use them.

I would just like to think that I can use my public land for hunting and not have to worry about others walking around without orange and camping anywhere. It is a huge safety issue.

4 am comes early, and I work 65-70 hours a week.

I thought I might get some support for a worthwhile cause, certainly didn't think I would get this much grief.

Comment

150 yards from structures and designated campgrounds, not random campsites.
                        And if the rangers office decides that any campsite falls within the rule?

We need real and constructive ideas. Not mockery

Comment

That is SO not the case! Hence so many seasons.
                          Maybe I'm wrong, but I've seen way more hunter while hunting in Texas than I have in Colorado. Theres just TOOOONSSSS of land to hunt up there. LBJ, for example, has many "small" properties.

Comment

Originally posted by huntinfool View Post
                            Still wrong. LBJ had the order that restricted camping to campsites only. That ended on Feb. 1 2014. Now you can camp anywhere.
                            If there is another order please show me, but the order you posted clearly says the law does not apply to Wise county, which LBJ is in.

"This prohibition applies to all National Forests and Grasslands in Texas.
                            1. Camping is prohibited except in designated camping areas as listed on the attached map, from September 15 till January 15 of each year. (Except in Wise County) 36 C.F.R. 261.58(e)"

Comment

HF, I see where he's coming from from in the LBJ case, it does say except wise county. The only question now would be whether or not it's still the case or if the lapse of this order will make wise county equal to all other national forests. I think that's something that can only be answered by the rangers office up there.

Comment

Originally posted by AJMag View Post
                                And if the rangers office decides that any campsite falls within the rule?

We need real and constructive ideas. Not mockery
                                You are grasping at straws now!

Rangers office states a Radom "campsite" can't be hunted within "X" distance? No one could prove that said random campsite was there before or after you were. That's not even a stretch of a possibility, of such nonsense.

Comment

Working...
                                X