No announcement yet.

Texas public lands under attack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No one is saying that it should be for hunters only. Like I said, our voice isn't there, and other groups are speaking up. We've dealt with dirt bikers riding through the woods during opening morning, but people were not allowed to camp where ever they wanted. So now, are we going to have to climb a tree to find at sunrise that there's a tent 50 yds away and people waking up to run off the deer. Chances are they won't be wearing orange as required either. Who's benefiting from that?

The hope is we can work a deal where they have to camp within a certain distance from the hiking trail. So is that still considered us trying to keep the forest for ourselves? It's if we keep quiet that they're going to get everything they want, and we'll have to bend over backwards to accommodate them, in which case they're going to limit our use of the forest.

Comment

Yes it is public land, yes they have a right to it just as we do. But their trails will eliminate areas that hunters can use. Plus with more people in the woods during hunting season and the campers not having to follow the same rules (hunter orange) it is only a matter of time before someone gets hurt.
      I also understand that most people have a deer lease and could care less if they lose their public land use.
      I also understand most people will do nothing and complain later.
      I'm trying to make a difference now. BEFORE it is too late. I have already lost an area that I used to hunt. I'd like to try and limit that as much as possible. I'm not saying they can't use their land. But I do see a safety issue with everyone being in the same woods at the same time.

Mind you this is statewide, not just the woods I use.

AJMag is correct, the other groups are organized and are already working to have the woods to themselves. So they would eliminate all hunters and then I guess that would be fair? No, there must be a compromise, we as hunters need to unite and start working to make our voices heard.

Or we could do nothing and lose the public lands we hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by Froggy View Post
        When they scope a project you normally have 30 days to comment. They only received one comment from the public during the scoping period for the trails project you referenced.

Hunters voices often go unheard, I think in part to hunters not being an organized voice like trail clubs and associations.

If you can get some of the other public land hunters together to voice your concerns and issues with proposed projects it would certainly help to improve hunting and the outdoor experience for everyone. Go in with positive proposals and input. Keep in mind also that the Forest Service is a multiple-use agency.
        This is the kind of stuff we needed from this post. That's info that I didn't know about.

The other point is to make others aware of what's happening and gain support of those willing to do anything, even if it is just firing off an email for us. Thanks

Comment

Don't waste your time Damian. That guy makes a point to stir the pot whenever he can. He doesn't even live in Texas. 50% of his post are just argument starters. He probably watches soap operas

Comment

I'm all for a compromise. Let people (everyone who uses the land) get together and figure out what the rules should be. Hunters should have a voice just as others should have a voice.

I may not agree totally with you, but appreciate you bringing the issue to our attention. It will put hunters in the room so WE don't lose our use of the land! I don't hunt SHNF, and LBJ (where I do hunt) has no rules only allowing camping at campsites, but I understand your wanting to limit camping. If I sounded like I was just on the opposite side I apologize.

And EVERYONE should have to wear orange during the season if hunters do, for safety's sake.

Comment

Originally posted by bcmuzzy View Post
              This. I have to agree, public land is just that for use by the public. Wether it be anything anyone enjoys doing legally. I'm a hunter and I hunt public land every. Just don't see how you can restrict public land use for one particular groups interest. Just my opinion.
              Not restricting, they have use of these woods from February- September. We only have from October-January. They would now have access to the entire forest to camp with little to no restrictions all year long, including during hunting season. Is it going to take someone getting hurt or losing their life to realize hunters and other users in the woods at the same time is not safe? Perhaps I should just sit back and do nothing.

I think not. I'd like to make a difference now.

Comment

Originally posted by Bad-Karma View Post
                Don't waste your time Damian. That guy makes a point to stir the pot whenever he can. He doesn't even live in Texas. 50% of his post are just argument starters. He probably watches soap operas
                LOL

I think AJMag and Damian's last responses hit the nail on the head.

Comment

Originally posted by JustinJanow View Post
                  I'm all for a compromise. Let people (everyone who uses the land) get together and figure out what the rules should be. Hunters should have a voice just as others should have a voice.

I may not agree totally with you, but appreciate you bringing the issue to our attention. It will put hunters in the room so WE don't lose our use of the land! I don't hunt SHNF, and LBJ (where I do hunt) has no rules only allowing camping at campsites, but I understand your wanting to limit camping. If I sounded like I was just on the opposite side I apologize.

And EVERYONE should have to wear orange during the season if hunters do, for safety's sake.
                  Wrong! LBJ has the same rules now. YOUR woods are under attack too.

Want to do something now?

Comment

It's actually fairly easy to have your voice heard. Besides responding to scoping letters you can always call and set up an appointment to visit with the District Ranger and Wildlife Biologist.

I would suggest going in with positive comments in addition to expressing your concerns. You can also sign up as a volunteer to assist the biologist with deer surveys etc.

My point is to become a partner and your concerns will more likely be considered.

Ask to be placed on the scoping mailing list. They will notify you by email of all proposed projects allowing you plenty of notice to express your concerns or support.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Comment

Originally posted by huntinfool View Post
                      Wrong! LBJ has the same rules now. YOUR woods are under attack too.

Want to do something now?
                      I've read nothing that says I can't camp at LBJ grasslands, but I could be wrong. Even if I was wrong, I think you should be allowed to primitive camp in a national forest/grassland any time of year.

Comment

Here is the order for Caddo and LBJ.

National Forests & Grasslands in Texas
                        PROHIBITIONS
                        UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE U.S. FOREST SERVICE
                        415 South First Street Lufkin, Texas 75901
                        ORDER OF FOREST SUPERVISOR
                        ORDER NUMBER 08-13-00-09-06
                        Pursuant to the provisions of 16 U.S.C., Section 551 and Title 36 C.F.R. 261.50(a) the following acts are prohibited within the specified area. National Forests & Grasslands in Texas. The area in question is shown on the attached map.
                        This prohibition applies to all National Forests and Grasslands in Texas.
                        1. Camping is prohibited except in designated camping areas as listed on the attached map, from September 15 till January 15 of each year. (Except in Wise County) 36 C.F.R. 261.58(e)
                        2. Possessing a loaded firearm within or on a motor vehicle. This prohibition will not apply to a handgun in the possession of a person who holds a valid Texas concealed handgun permit for that handgun. 36 C.F.R. 261.53(e)
                        3. Possessing a loaded firearm within the following locations or sites: (a) a designated campsite; (b) a designated vehicle parking area; (c) a designated boat launching facility or area; (d) a Texas Parks and Wildlife Department or U.S. Forest Service Check Station; (e) a designated archery-only area. This prohibition will not apply to a handgun in the possession of a person who holds a valid Texas concealed handgun permit for that handgun. 36 C.F.R. 261.53(e)
                        4. Being under the influence of alcohol or consuming alcoholic beverages while engaged in hunting activities, or publicly consuming or displaying an alcoholic beverage. 36 C.F.R. 261.58(bb)
                        Pursuant to 36 CFR 261.50(e), the following persons are exempt from this Order:
                        1. Persons with a permit specifically authorizing the otherwise prohibited act or omission.
                        2. Any Federal, State, or local officer, or member of an organized rescue or fire fighting force
                        in the performance of an official duty.
                        These prohibitions are in addition to the general prohibitions in 36 CFR Part 261, Subpart A. Executed in Lufkin, Texas this 4 day of September , 2009.
                        /s/ Linda Brett_________________
                        LINDA BRETT
                        Forest Supervisor
                        National Forests and Grasslands in Texas.

As I stated in my original post, ALL public national forests and grasslands are affected by this order ending.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
                          Little by little it's going to make hunting public land harder is the point. These coalitions of special-interest groups are going to see to that if it's not nipped in the bud.
                          Just like this coalition of special interest is trying to nip access in the bud for non hunters?

NOt saying it doesn't suck but there are other people that enjoy being outside just like we do.

Comment

Originally posted by huntinfool View Post
                            Here is the order for Caddo and LBJ.

National Forests & Grasslands in Texas
                            PROHIBITIONS
                            UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE U.S. FOREST SERVICE
                            415 South First Street Lufkin, Texas 75901
                            ORDER OF FOREST SUPERVISOR
                            ORDER NUMBER 08-13-00-09-06
                            Pursuant to the provisions of 16 U.S.C., Section 551 and Title 36 C.F.R. 261.50(a) the following acts are prohibited within the specified area. National Forests & Grasslands in Texas. The area in question is shown on the attached map.
                            This prohibition applies to all National Forests and Grasslands in Texas.
                            1. Camping is prohibited except in designated camping areas as listed on the attached map, from September 15 till January 15 of each year. (Except in Wise County) 36 C.F.R. 261.58(e)
                            2. Possessing a loaded firearm within or on a motor vehicle. This prohibition will not apply to a handgun in the possession of a person who holds a valid Texas concealed handgun permit for that handgun. 36 C.F.R. 261.53(e)
                            3. Possessing a loaded firearm within the following locations or sites: (a) a designated campsite; (b) a designated vehicle parking area; (c) a designated boat launching facility or area; (d) a Texas Parks and Wildlife Department or U.S. Forest Service Check Station; (e) a designated archery-only area. This prohibition will not apply to a handgun in the possession of a person who holds a valid Texas concealed handgun permit for that handgun. 36 C.F.R. 261.53(e)
                            4. Being under the influence of alcohol or consuming alcoholic beverages while engaged in hunting activities, or publicly consuming or displaying an alcoholic beverage. 36 C.F.R. 261.58(bb)
                            Pursuant to 36 CFR 261.50(e), the following persons are exempt from this Order:
                            1. Persons with a permit specifically authorizing the otherwise prohibited act or omission.
                            2. Any Federal, State, or local officer, or member of an organized rescue or fire fighting force
                            in the performance of an official duty.
                            These prohibitions are in addition to the general prohibitions in 36 CFR Part 261, Subpart A. Executed in Lufkin, Texas this 4 day of September , 2009.
                            /s/ Linda Brett_________________
                            LINDA BRETT
                            Forest Supervisor
                            National Forests and Grasslands in Texas.

As I stated in my original post, ALL public national forests and grasslands are affected by this order ending.

LBJ is in Wise county, thus not affected.

Comment

Originally posted by JustinJanow View Post
                              I've read nothing that says I can't camp at LBJ grasslands, but I could be wrong. Even if I was wrong, I think you should be allowed to primitive camp in a national forest/grassland any time of year.
                              What this is saying is you no longer have to camp in the campgrounds. They can now camp anywhere within the boundaries. Including under your stand location. If your ok with this then you need not do anything more.
                              But if this doesn't sit well with you, join us in trying to make a difference or at least a compromise.

Comment

WTH? Is the National Forest in Texas that different from the NF in the western states? Colorado doesn't close other activities in the NF, just because it's a hunting season. They don't designate campers to a certain area. They don't make hikers or bikers or horseback riders wear orange during hunting seasons. I don't get what you guys are afraid of here.

Texas has squat for NF compared to most western states, and believe me, those states have more bunny huggers than Texas ever will. And guess what? It hasn't hurt hunting one iota!
                                Last edited by Ironman; 04-23-2014, 09:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X