Eco Boost V6 vs 5.0 V8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
    Not that it matter since you're a Hennessey hater but they do offer a twin 6.2. 800+HP in the Raptor. I'm sure they offer the same in a regular F150.

I've often thought of instead of buying the diesel in the F-250/350- buying one with the 6.2 gas motor and putting the cost difference towards turbos.

I wonder where that truck would end up power / performance and reliability wise, compared to the diesel.

Comment

nothing beats a v8 except in one case which had nothing to do with gas mileage.

87 Buick Grand National 231 v6 turbo that a buddy brought and I test drove.

Scary mid range take off. And I have been a Camaro V8 guy since I was 16.heavy duty trucks need v8's.
      All this saving gas is bs if you buy a full size truck.

Just my $0.02

Comment

Drive both and pick one. I did and the choice was clear for me. 2013 5.0 V8 4x4 3.73 rear end. avg 16.0-16.5.

Comment

Originally posted by topduarte View Post
          nothing beats a v8 except in one case which had nothing to do with gas mileage.

87 buick grand national 231 v6 turbo that a buddy brought and i test drove.

Scary mid range take off. And i have been a camaro v8 guy since i was 16.heavy duty trucks need v8's.

All this saving gas is bs if you buy a full size truck.

Just my $0.02

[ATTACH]617506[/ATTACH]

Comment

This brings a question I have been wondering. Is there anywhere that rents all makes of trucks in similar trim levels?

I think the smart thing to do given the cost of these trucks to rent one of each for a month to get a fair and personal evaluation of each one and decide which one fits each person's wants/needs.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
              This brings a question I have been wondering. Is there anywhere that rents all makes of trucks in similar trim levels?

I think the smart thing to do given the cost of these trucks to rent one of each for a month to get a fair and personal evaluation of each one and decide which one fits each person's wants/needs.

I've often thought that would be a good barometer for any vehicle. Maybe not a full month, but at least a weekend trip.

I would do this before ever committing to a Wrangler as a DD .

Seems like, so far, the 5.0 customers are for the most part happy with theirs.
              The Eco owners seem a little more mixed in joy of ownership.

I have a neighbor that has owned 2 newer 5.0's and now has an ecoboost. All similarly equipped crew 4x4's.

When he went for the third truck all he could find was ecoboost in the trim level he was after, so that's what he bought.
              He said if they'd have had the trim he was after in the 5.0 he would have went with that, but couldn't find one.

He seemed indifferent with the Eco engine. Said he could tell it was a V-6 due to it winding up- higher rpms when he stomped in it.

Comment

I got a 2013 4x4 lariat ecoboost a couple months back. i liked the ecoboost when i drove it. i didnt drive a 5.0, to me they were pretty even matched. i honestly dont think one is better than the other, except for the torque levels. I think it is all aestetics and personal preference.

I dont get the mileage you guys are saying though. Im at 5K miles and get 15.9 and that was just here recently. mine is city drive for 70% of the time. like others have said about the towing, it is really nice. Cant remember my gear ratio right now.

I am pretty close to my first oil change and Planet Ford is doing this one. I have run synthetic oil for many years. Has anyone noticed a difference with synthetic? I dont know what they come from the factory with, maybe someone can enlighten me.

Comment

Originally posted by Superduty View Post
                  [ATTACH]617506[/ATTACH]
                  Nice!!

One of these days I will have one of those.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveC View Post

He seemed indifferent with the Eco engine. Said he could tell it was a V-6 due to it winding up- higher rpms when he stomped in it.
                    Mine don't wind up, power is there very quickly and at 2000 rpm's you are already at 80% of it torque. It runs very similar to a diesil engine, not saying it is but mine does not need to be wound up at all...

Comment

Working...
                    X